Why become a member? ×

Gator gig bag bargain?

Pinball

4 hours ago, Jack said:

And what are they like? Anyone have first hand experience?

I have a ProGo X from the original bargain listing which seems to be the same features but a different fabric. Its fine for around £50 and better than most up to around £70/80. Plenty of space and padding and decent pockets too. Have a look at a Fender FB620 as an alternative too - i have both and would be happy with either.

Thanks to OP for posting this. My Yammy gig bag is about 1/2" too small for the new series Yammy basses and I've been thinking about getting another one for that very reason. Just put in an order for the black Gator Transit Series bag, they seem to have a fair few of these still in stock and I got mine for £59 including P&P.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-GT-BASS-BLK-Transit-Series-Bass-Guitar-Bag-Black/1Y5Q

Mine arrived today. Reasonable quality - I'd give it 7/10. It's not flimsy, neither is it high-end and £50 to £60 actually feels like the 'right' price point for this.

It'll get the job done for me, so I will be holding on to mine and using for band rehearsal this evening. (And always good to have a packing box, which the case came in, for shipping basses in for the next time one gets moved on :) )

Gator case I.jpg

Gator case II.jpg

• Like 1

I think up to £70/£75 is fair for these as there seems to be a bit of a gap in the semi-rigid gigbag market at that price range, I can remember when Protec Contegos were about £70 but everything seems to be £100+ now. Thomann do one at a decent price (a Mono Sleeve "tribute") but it looks a bit cheap compared to the Gator:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_voyager_e_bass.htm

Incidentally their next model up (they do a few fancy gigbags now) looks interesting for £100, has a removable storage thingy:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_safecase_80_e_bass_bag.htm

Edited by lemmywinks

Not sure you need to go any higher than £100 for anything other than aesthetics or brand bragging rights. I have the full fat Gator Pro Go (think they call it the ultimate now) which is all I could ever need in a gigbag and they're £99, superb bags and rock solid with high end appointments (solid metal clips for strap connections, integrated rain cover etc). I'll be honest I think the Mono stuff looks a bit tacky, like the puffer jackets everyone wore when I was at school:

58524-tmp1099.jpg?w=700&h=700&fit=fill&b

mens-paragon-down-puffer-jacket-black-1_

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Haha 3

The Yammy gig bag that comes with the mid range Yammy basses are very well made, apart from being a touch too small in length! 

The pic below illustrates very well the additional headroom (and we are talking actual headroom, not some wishy washy amp wattage concept here 😁) that I'm getting from the Gator.

Gator case III.jpg

Yeah I also need a long gigbag as I use a Sire which has a poky beak of a headstock! 

Weirdly the guitar versions of these Gators are never on offer, our guitarist still uses cheap learner bags (his best one by far is a Mex Fender gigbag I got him from a charity shop!) so I always have a casual look to check. If anyone sees any I'd be grateful if you could tag me on here so I can send him a link, will save me having to baby his guitars when loading them into the van.

• 2 months later...

Mine went through straight away, normal delivery and no Swedish postage. You're not behind a vpn or something that might mask your location?

Although, that wouldn't explain why it thought the bag was in Sweden...