Why become a member? ×

super cheap moving head LED stage lights, anyone?

skidder652003

You may want to check out the Stagg Headbanger XT and raise an eyebrow when you see the price tag.

Searching on google did turn up these though - https://www.simplysoundandlighting.co.uk/stagg-headbanger-transport-bag-carry-case-fits-4-x-small-moving-head/?m=simple&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnpXmBRDUARIsAEo71tTAcEHdGtNdtEgfEmf1BpVvte_zktvpXcJDC4fHJwnUJxYVhtxzJysaAu5bEALw_wcB - that may come in useful for people that have bought a few...

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

They are now at £76.99 each, there are similar ones on eBay for £34.00 are these the ones you are all talking about and have bought?

Look at the big 2x at the start of the description!

1 hour ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Mine arrived they are exactly the same as the ones on the link, but with a different emblem on, work fine 🙂

They are generic Chinese lights that are rebranded by every man and their dog... including Stagg it would seem (who stick a pretty hefty premium on them).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Okidoki - thought so. Thanks Russ.

If you are handy with arduinos, it's not too difficult to knock up a switch to change between a slow fade programme and a moving head display. But ultimately, it's probably something that is an added point of failure, stress etc in the whole setup and running of a gig.

• Like 1

I have a couple of static versions of these, branded QTX. They chuck out a hell of a lot of light, actually a problem as I can't find a way of fading them other than as static colours and I've had performers complaining. they seem well enough made but nonetheless I've lost some of the bulbs in one of the lights on one colour only. I'll investigate but they are only a couple of months old. The wide wash is useful, too many of the cheapies have a very narrow beam. I need to get my DMX sorted but running lights sound and playing bass at the same time.....

• Like 1

as an update, we've been using these for a while now, still going strong. The programmable options on the lights themselves are a PIA so we just use them sound to light, they are VERY bright and the strobe effect can be quite offputting. For this reason we put them behind the backline or out of direct eyesight but they still look very effective from behind, especially with a smoke/haze machine

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

as an update, we've been using these for a while now, still going strong. The programmable options on the lights themselves are a PIA so we just use them sound to light, they are VERY bright and the strobe effect can be quite offputting. For this reason we put them behind the backline or out of direct eyesight but they still look very effective from behind, especially with a smoke/haze machine

Thanks for that - there are a couple of different options for these - one rated at 70watts the other at 105watts. I note the comments that these are really bright but are you using the 70 or 105’s?

Edited by mr zed

I have two of these lights and can confirm they are very good for the money.  Unfortunately they seem to be causing mains hum through our guitarist's gear so we've stopped using them.  They don't cause any issues with my gear so I suspect it may be linked to his particular amp setup and high gain settings.  We haven't had an issue with other makes of LED lighting.  Has anyone one else had a similar issue?

7 hours ago, mr zed said:

Thanks for that - there are a couple of different options for these - one rated at 70watts the other at 105watts. I note the comments that these are really bright but are you using the 70 or 105’s?

Light is like sound, on a log scale so there won't be half as much light again with 105W, but I am using the 70W lights. When you think that an 8W domestic led is rated as 100W equivalent then think of these as being rather like the old 500W floodlights, not really a domestic item. Obviously the 70W rating is with all the leds lit so a single colour won't be as bright but even so you really can't see much with one of these a few feet away shining straight at you. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, mr zed said:

70w LED, bright as a bright thing on a sunny bright summers day, honestly unless you're playing large open stages or daylight gigs, they're more than man enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gazhowe said:

I have two of these lights and can confirm they are very good for the money.  Unfortunately they seem to be causing mains hum through our guitarist's gear so we've stopped using them.  They don't cause any issues with my gear so I suspect it may be linked to his particular amp setup and high gain settings.  We haven't had an issue with other makes of LED lighting.  Has anyone one else had a similar issue?

no signs of hum with ours, our guitarist does hum like crazy but that's to do with his sh1tty setup, cr@p patch leads, cheap cables and unloved, unserviced valve amps

• Haha 2