Why become a member? ×

More Rolling Stones more Stones more Stones .

RobF

On 07/04/2019 at 10:32, chris_b said:

Brian Jones first asked Paul Jones (Manfred Mann) to be the singer in the band. Jones turned him down because he didn't think a band playing Blues would have "any future"!! Everyone else in the band had a tough time when the Glimmer Twins ego's (stoked by the even bigger ego of Andrew Oldham) kicked in. Bill Wyman was a reason why I picked up a musical instrument.

I saw them in the 60's in a Cinema in Greenford (now a Tesco). I managed to get on to the Earl's Court security crew for several of the 1976 shows. And went with my son to see them at the O2 about 10 years ago. For me the stand out of the O2 show was Charlie Watts. He's not a technician but he never missed a beat and just pushed the band along, all night. 

The Stones were writing hits over a period of 20 years, from the 60's to the 80's. That's a very long time for a band to be creative. IMO the high points were scattered throughout that period.

The entertainment and music business will be a poorer place when they stop touring.

Edit for spilling

The Granada Cinema. The Rolling Stones performed on the stage in 1964, and part of their EP ‘Got Live if you Want It’ was recorded there.

Granada-Greenford-Collage.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I don't know. I'm sure it rankles that he can't make a successful solo career.

I like to imagine a Stella Street-style parallel universe where Mick is in his kitchen carefully ironing his jim-jams shouting camp abuse at the radio as (Si Si) Je Suis un Rock Star wafts across the airwaves... 

(I actually own a copy of that single!)

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 2