Why become a member? ×

More Rolling Stones more Stones more Stones .

RobF

Inspired by a previous post regarding the Fab Four, and being a Stones fan for many years, yes I'm old .

in his book Stone Alone, Bill Wyman has numerous references to Keef and Mick. In a big book about the Stones ( can't remember the title, nor find it at the moment) it sounds as if there were 3 members of the Rolling Stones, Mick, Keef and Charlie.

im open for education, from the more enlightened members here.

Edited by RobF

I’m neither a Beatles or Stones fan (in fact, a lot of the 60s output leaves me cold and I’m old enough to have been around). However, Gimme Shelter is a great song song and a high water mark for me. Start Me Up is also rather fine, but I feel that this song rather defined the Stones’ sound from that point onwards. I think their fame is down to being around (and staying around) at a point when music and pop culture in general was going through a major upheaval. I know I’m in a minority here.

As to there being just the three members, according to BW, perhaps that’s down to him having left and Brian Jones being dead. I wonder if he really felt the same way in the 60s and early 70s? I guess that’s the problem writing in hindsight. I bet it’s a good read though (unlike Keef, which I gave up on, despite having a lot of time for him).

Ez bass sorry, the image of 3 members was promulgated in the book 'written ' by keef and  mick , not BW 's 

the high point for me was the whole of the Let it Bleed album.

Bills book 'Stone Alone' is indeed a good read . ISBN 0-670-82894-7. 

Edited by RobF

26 minutes ago, RobF said:

Ez bass sorry, the image of 3 members was promulgated in the book 'written ' by keef and  mick , not BW 's 

Ah, well that makes even more sense. You even feel, to this day, that Ronnie Wood is not a real ‘part of the gang’ which is sad as he’s been there for decades.

I've read a few books on The Stones, including Stone Alone and I've come away with the impression that after they got rid of Brian Jones there were only two members of the band as far as Mick & Keef were concerned.

• Like 1

Brian Jones first asked Paul Jones (Manfred Mann) to be the singer in the band. Jones turned him down because he didn't think a band playing Blues would have "any future"!! Everyone else in the band had a tough time when the Glimmer Twins ego's (stoked by the even bigger ego of Andrew Oldham) kicked in. Bill Wyman was a reason why I picked up a musical instrument.

I saw them in the 60's in a Cinema in Greenford (now a Tesco). I managed to get on to the Earl's Court security crew for several of the 1976 shows. And went with my son to see them at the O2 about 10 years ago. For me the stand out of the O2 show was Charlie Watts. He's not a technician but he never missed a beat and just pushed the band along, all night. 

The Stones were writing hits over a period of 20 years, from the 60's to the 80's. That's a very long time for a band to be creative. IMO the high points were scattered throughout that period.

The entertainment and music business will be a poorer place when they stop touring.

Edit for spilling

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

For me, as the primary writers, the Stones should feel like it’s Mick and Keef. But the thing that the Stones has (again, IMO) is that unique bond between Keef and Charlie. It’s what makes the Stones sound, well, like the Stones!

Any number of talented players will never manage to nail the Stones sound due to the unique chemistry between the two. Then add Jagger’s unique vocals and that’s the band.

The Ronnie Wood thing is interesting. His contribution songwriting-wise is minimal (compared to their output since he’s been in the band) but he’s made contributions where I feel he really should have been given a writing credit - the bass line on Emotional Rescue as an example.

On a related matter I’d urge any Stones fans to have a listen to Keef’s Talk is Cheap, which has just been re-released as a 30yr anniversary piece (with extra tracks).

It’s the album he did with Steve Jordan in 1988, when Jagger wouldn’t tour the Dirty Work album. To this day it’s still a great listen - and features Bootsy in fine form on the opening track, which is worth the price of admission alone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

On a related matter I’d urge any Stones fans to have a listen to Keef’s Talk is Cheap, which has just been re-released as a 30yr anniversary piece (with extra tracks).

It’s the album he did with Steve Jordan in 1988, when Jagger wouldn’t tour the Dirty Work album. To this day it’s still a great listen - and features Bootsy in fine form on the opening track, which is worth the price of admission alone!

I had that album on vinyl, it’s great.

10 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Keef’s Talk is Cheap

An astonishingly good album. The follow up Main Offender wasn't quite as tasty but both of them are better by an order of a magnitude than any of Jagger's solo output and - IMO - superior to most of the Stones' albums since Some Girls :)

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's a pretty exclusive club, what surprises me is that they every let Ronnie Wood become a real 'stone' (after 15 years).

Darryl Jones has done 26 years on bass and some of the backing musicians 30.

Well Ronnie Wood was in the band (photos , album covers etc) , whilst Darryl Jones is a hired gun - pure and simple .

Bernard Fowler (?) was featured in a programme the other evening, on one of the Freeview channels, it seems he’s been a 'member' of the Stones for over 30 years, even covering on lead vocals while Mick's 'gone for a pee'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Bernard Fowler (?) was featured in a programme the other evening, on one of the Freeview channels, it seems he’s been a 'member' of the Stones for over 30 years, even covering on lead vocals while Mick's 'gone for a pee'.

While Keith Richards said he "considered" BF to be a Stone, BF was more realistic when he said he'd "been a side-man for 30 years, but he'd never be a member of the Stones". I don't think Keith cares but Jagger seems to be the one wanting to share the pot with the fewest number of people. 

I believe Ronnie Wood was on wages for 25 years and the others thought he was a "full" member and were surprised to find out that he'd never been signed up.

On 07/04/2019 at 03:59, ezbass said:

Ah, well that makes even more sense. You even feel, to this day, that Ronnie Wood is not a real ‘part of the gang’ which is sad as he’s been there for decades.

Ronnie became a full member of the Stones a few years ago. It took a long time.

I doubt Daryl Jones or any other Anerican hired guns will ever be a member of The Stones.

Blue

12 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Bernard is a hired gun, not a member 

I'm not sure many people know who Bernard is. He played a small bar in Milwaukee a few years ago and there were no more than 20 people in attendance.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Bernard is a hired gun, not a member 

I'm not sure many people know who Bernard is. He played a small bar in Milwaukee a few years ago and there were no more than 20 people in attendance.

Blue

I'm sure he makes a decent wage from the Stones Tours though, as did Ronnie before becoming a real member.

I dunno - on the one hand it sounds tight that Darryl is only paid for his time, but most of the reputation comes from the early songs before he was on board, and most of the sales since are in a large part based on that early reputation. I'm sure he is paid handsomely and is (on reflection) pretty happy to have a permanent spot in the band.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daz39 said:

I'm sure he makes a decent wage from the Stones Tours though, as did Ronnie before becoming a real member.

I dunno - on the one hand it sounds tight that Darryl is only paid for his time, but most of the reputation comes from the early songs before he was on board, and most of the sales since are in a large part based on that early reputation. I'm sure he is paid handsomely and is (on reflection) pretty happy to have a permanent spot in the band.

I read somewhere , that's he's a millionaire - purely through playing with the Stones .

He'd of never made that sort of money , dining out on his time with Miles Davis , and Sting

23 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

An astonishingly good album. The follow up Main Offender wasn't quite as tasty but both of them are better by an order of a magnitude than any of Jagger's solo output and - IMO - superior to most of the Stones' albums since Some Girls :)

Completely agree.

There's the odd track post-Some Girls that I like - mainly singles like Emotional Rescue, Undercover of the Night (although I can't hear that track without thinking about Muriel Gray getting incredibly 'upset' interviewing a giggling/despairing Jagger and Julien Temple regarding the video some years back on The Tube) and a few others - but the last Stones album that I (can) listen to without interruption is Some Girls - I still think Miss You is one of the best songs (of many contenders) that they ever wrote.

You're never quite sure what you're going to get with Jagger's solo stuff, suffice to say, I've never got it. And the track he did with Peter Tosh is just that.

With the Stones he's unrivalled (IMO) but without them, well...

I'm sure he'll not be losing sleep over it, mind..!

• Like 1

Saw the Stones at Wembley in 1990, and they seemed a bit past it then, with a big chunk of the crowd (me included) being there mainly because it was the Stones and this might be our last chance to see them.  I remember them being OK, not spectacular.  But the legend of the Rolling Stones, that's a fine thing, bigger than the sum of it's parts

I have a lot of their records (and as a 50th birthday treat to myself just got Let It Bleed on vinyl as it's also 50 this year) and for me the sweet spot was Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed through the albums that Mick Taylor is on, and not much after that.