Why become a member? ×

Big name Brits that didn't crack the US

4 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

The Smiths... I THINK. There's of course a dedicated following all over the world now, but at the time I don't think they were really that massive across the pond. Certainly nothing to the extent of their UK fame, with constant coverage, the New Morrissey Express, and all that. 

Surely the question with The Smiths is how they cracked it anywhere, rather than why they didn't crack the US?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, TheRev said:

I once heard a (probably untrue) story about an interviewer asking Phil Lynott if he regretted never breaking America. 'I regret never getting to sh@# Kate Bush' says Phil, 'but what can you do?'

I've heard that story is actually true! 

Lizzy, Queen (to an extent - they were never as massive in the states as they were here), Quo, The Jam, early Whitesnake (pre 1987) never really broke big the other side of the pond...

15 hours ago, nikon F said:

Slade ,,,,,they even moved to America ( tax reasons ?) but it never really happened 

Slade went to the USA several times and eventually decamped there for a prolonged period in 1975 and 1976 to concentrate on the Yankee dollar. They couldn't get radio on their side. TV avoided them. An earlier 'next Beatles' hype that wasn't their fault, backfired very badly on them.

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Did The Kinks ever break America? Singing about tea and biscuits might have gotten away from us.😁

Blue

I seem to recall that following certain shenanigans on an early US tour the Kinks actually got banned from touring in the US for most of the sixties which probably didn't do much to increase their US fan base.

On 07/04/2019 at 20:39, TheGreek said:

Did any of the New Romantic era Brits break the US? 

Fairly sure Spandau/ Duran/ Culture Club didn't have much of an impact although Depeche Mode did surprisingly.  

Flock of Seagulls managed it also

On 07/04/2019 at 14:41, Happy Jack said:

Don't forget General Cornwallis ...

But we went back in 1812 invaded and burned the White House down whilst the crack American troops where seen running off up Capitol Hill. But seriously English accents has got nothing to do with it as proved by The Smiths in the 80's.

Edited by RedVee

Quo had one hit in the States, Pictures of Matchstick Men.

In his new book Rossi said in the early 70s they went down well in concerts in the States, but failed to get any airplay which prevented them making an impact. After a few years of attempts they gave up, as they felt they’d make money in the rest of the World from touring and then lose it all trying to make it in the US. The transition from big stages and nice hotels in Europe to small gigs and budget accommodation when they hit the States was off putting for them by the mid-70s. So they gave up.

He also claims some record company guy said, “pay off my mortgage, and I’ll make you stars over here.” They apparently told him where to go, and that was that ...

While I don't know these were big names in the true sense, I believe that the US and Canada largely passed on Lewisham/Catford's own Japan and Swindon's XTC. 

Japan did 'less than a dozen' dates in the US and Canada, apparently they were being courted by Bill Aucoin (Kiss management) at one point; apparently UK management favoured Europe and the far east as easier markets to sell the band into. 

XTC toured the US & Canada extensively, but musically they seemed to be college radio darlings rather than breaking it big.  Clearly two factors that didn't help seemed to be Andy Partridge's on stage breakdown in Paris (and their subsequent withdrawal from touring) along with the anti-religious content of the single Dear God couldn't have helped.  Coincidentally, as a vanity thing, I asked whether Dear God could be played at my mother's funeral, just as a personal dig against religion.  The vicar, clearly ahead of the curve, said he didn't feel it would be appropriate.

On 07/04/2019 at 10:11, Hobbayne said:

On the other hand, that dreadful song 'I get Knocked Down But I get Up Again' was absolutely huge in the States.

Chumbawumba - my friend in the us went to see them in Rochester, NY

On 08/04/2019 at 08:06, Cato said:

I seem to recall that following certain shenanigans on an early US tour the Kinks actually got banned from touring in the US for most of the sixties which probably didn't do much to increase their US fan base.

Yeah, I discussed The Kinks with a few Kinks fans and they said the same thing.

"Shenanigans"

Blue

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2019 at 14:06, Cato said:

My Mum had tea with the Kinks.

Just 'tea'....as far as she's ever let on

;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BrightonianBass said:

Don't know how to break this to you 🤔....but I worked with the drummer from Mike Berry and the Outlaws who toured with the Kinks back in the  60's and he told me they were right Randy Buggers🙄

My Mum's said she had a 'wonderful time' growing up in London in the late 1960s.

I'm very happy for her ;) :)