Why become a member? ×

Let down by Aguilars design.

Master blaster

I’m very quiet on this forum. Been a member for a long time but I’m rarely online to be honest. So greetings to everyone. 

Anyway, I’ve been playing with the Aguilar th500 for the last 3 years. As people know, it’s a great little amp which sounds great. However, I feel really let down but it’s design, due to the amp cutting out mid set. Now I know design issue probably isn’t down to Aguilar but they did choose to use a Bang and Olufsen Icepower module for the power section. The problem is a small component has failed, a complainant that according to my tech costs little to replace. But down to it being a non universal design, and the uk distributor being unhelpful, the whole module needs to be replaced. At a large cost. (The amp is out of warranty). We’re looking at over £200+ for a replacement. This is rediculaous in my opinion. Why can’t they use a module that uses universal components? Feels like it’s a way to con people out more money then what’s needed to me. 

I love this amp, but I feel like I want to move away from Aguilar. I’m loooking around online at possible replacements but I feel lost. And I live to far away from any music shops with a decent selection of amps to try some out. Does anyone have any advice/opinions on possible replacements that share a similar tone to this head? Sorry if this is a bit rants. Look forward to peoples opinions/input. 

B&O Icepower is as close to industry standard as you'll get, they also have a good reputation for reliability which is why they are chosen by so many manufacturers (so talkbass told me). 
From my understanding , most Class D stuff isn't really designed to be repairable as it's so much more complex technology. (hence why most amp companies don't develop their own amp modules) Mind you my tech was telling me that a lot of older solid state amps use obsolete MosFets, and that I should find an all valve amp to buy...

It’s difficult this, I feel for you.

B&O is fairly standard as a power module as mentioned, but some people use Hypex as a power module, and that may be something worth looking into, the tone is also slightly different.

The amp world you will get a myriad of choices Depending on what you want, but also people will tell you what THEY like and that may not be right for you.

If you like the Tone Hammer sound you could get the TH pedal from Aguilar relatively cheaply second hand and then get a relatively clean power amp to allow it to shine through.

Straight power amps like crown and QSC can give you this, or get something like a Peavy mini max or mini mega which is cheap second hand and should give you what you need to project the pedal.

If you like a bit of drive, things like the Tech21 amp range may tickle your fancy.

Hope your search goes well

• Like 1

Hmmm... for me Agi as a company is not what it was, and its more recent products don’t appear to have the reliability of earlier gear. I use a db750 and love it but I’m not sure I’d buy a more recent amp. An OBP3 just failed on me - out of warranty and impoosible to repair because of the epoxy seal. £200 to replace with fitting - Agi didn’t appear to give a toss. To the OP, I hope that you get this issue resolved at reasonable cost - £200 is a lot of dosh

• Like 4

The tech dealt with the distributor. It was just an instant “you gotta replace the board”. Its such a waste.

I have the tone hammer pedal, which is lucky as I’m now having to rely on it with IEMs. I like the suggestion of a clean power amp. I think it’s that or something that’s not class D. It’s disappinting, I had a GK 700rbII for 8 years before this. Gigging just as much as I do now, and used a lot more for home practice. It was cheaper then the th500. But it never went wrong. Thanks for suggesting the ashdown. I very rarely drive the amp with gain and distortion. Will be interesting to try one. 

Remember if you want no coloration From the EQ run it from out back of the amp and not in front, but I love having a very clean power amp.

Aside from what you/I mentioned if you want to get the bean out the Jules M700 or Demeter Minnie 800D are stonking, Quilter bass block May be a good combination of power and intelligent EQ

For another cheap and cheerful (but heavy) Hartke LH500/1000 give incredible bang for buck, just remember that flat on them is 2-10-2 for bass-middle-treble

second hand can be gotten for under £200 and pretty bombproof

Edited by Cuzzie

20 minutes ago, Master blaster said:

The tech dealt with the distributor. It was just an instant “you gotta replace the board”. Its such a waste.

Electrical stuff will always have a failure rate. These days its a pretty small number but it will never be zero.

My brand new Mesa 400+ blew a valve the first time we plugged it in, in the shop.

I'd email Aguilar and ask their opinion and if they have a service or repair centre in the UK.

On 06/04/2019 at 19:53, LukeFRC said:

B&O Icepower is as close to industry standard as you'll get, they also have a good reputation for reliability which is why they are chosen by so many manufacturers (so talkbass told me). 
From my understanding , most Class D stuff isn't really designed to be repairable as it's so much more complex technology. (hence why most amp companies don't develop their own amp modules) Mind you my tech was telling me that a lot of older solid state amps use obsolete MosFets, and that I should find an all valve amp to buy...

All true Luke. 

It is true that such a module may not be too easy to repair. Usually similar ones are not impossible to repair but it takes time = it has a cost. Who wants to try to find the issue, if you get no help from the manufacturer - and here I mean the original power module manufacturer, B&O. The single part probably costs £1 or less but to find the faulty component and hopefully the reason, too, may mean hours and hours of work.

Naturally the company could offer some kind of replacement program in the name of recycling, but I doubt it. Machines put those modules together for that low price. If someone fixes those faulty ones by hand, the price may be higher than a new one. Mixed feelings?

When Aguilar or any other shop buys thousands of those powers, the price is negotiable. When some Jane-Joe Ordinary, like me, wants to buy just one single unit, the price is naturally something else.

The TH500 uses the ICEPower 250ASX2 in Bridge mode. Gives  500w into 4 or 8 ohms. Sadly it is £266 from the UK distributor. 

You have three choices,  fit a new 259ASX2 module, scrap the amp or fit a 125ASX2 module. The difference is 250 into 8R and 500w into 4R.  If you are running  4 ohm rig, you will not notice the difference but obviously it is half wattage into 8 ohms. 

You could probably get a 125ASX2 fitted for about £160. 

I have a spare 125ASX2 module if you need one. 

In bridge mode that would make it 500 into 8 Ohms? or 250w x 2 at 4 Ohms?

Is it truly bridged or is each output putting out a max of 250w?

Am I reading the docs wrong - or wouldn't the unit be running overly hot if running bridged @ 4 ohms?

Edited by EBS_freak

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

The TH500 uses the ICEPower 250ASX2 in Bridge mode. Gives  500w into 4 or 8 ohms. Sadly it is £266 from the UK distributor.

The TH500 is 250 watts into 8 ohms.

Edited by chris_b