Why become a member? ×

Have You Tried The Kala U-Bass? Here is my video review......

greghagger

4 hours ago, burno70 said:

I enjoyed that, well explained and a nice choice of riffs. Makes me want one.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review. I had fun making it. 

The U-Bass is such a useful little instrument. 

• 5 months later...

I own a 5 string and 4 string solid bodies, and two hollow bodied fours, one fretted and one fretless. They are awesome and a bit more versatile than you would expect. With my advancing arthritis I play them way more than my full size Fenders and Carvin electrics these days.  Plus, they are just plain fun to play. 😃

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fretlessguy said:

I own a 5 string and 4 string solid bodies, and two hollow bodied fours, one fretted and one fretless. They are awesome and a bit more versatile than you would expect. With my advancing arthritis I play them way more than my full size Fenders and Carvin electrics these days.  Plus, they are just plain fun to play. 😃

Couldn’t agree more, they are such fun to play, and I couldn’t believe the sound with I first played the Uke Bass through an amp!

I imagine they are more enjoyable to play with Arthritis too. 

• 2 months later...

I purchased a Kala about a month ago. Played it a bit at home to get used to the string spacing (left& right hands) and gigged it last Friday night in a jazz quartet I often play in. At first they laughed at it but they soon changed their minds once they heard it through my AER = a bit hit and they want me to play it more....I could have been smug and said 'told you so' but thought better and just smiled to myself...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Petey said:

I purchased a Kala about a month ago. Played it a bit at home to get used to the string spacing (left& right hands) and gigged it last Friday night in a jazz quartet I often play in. At first they laughed at it but they soon changed their minds once they heard it through my AER = a bit hit and they want me to play it more....I could have been smug and said 'told you so' but thought better and just smiled to myself...

I had a similar experience - the horn players laughed their heads off until I plugged it in, then they couldn’t believe it!

Obviously it’s not a double bass but it’s very useful when you want to have a more acoustic sounding instrument. 

• 1 month later...

U bass is a great instrument much underrated,  mine is an Excelsior made in England, finding a string you like can be problematic, Aquila Thunderblacks are my choice but still not entirely happy, keep some baby talc handy for the strings. 3 of my 4 baritones are Kala, the other is an experiment made from bits which will be replaced by a custom built instrument later this year but I'm not sure what you'd call it other than 'different' 😀

19 hours ago, dave moffat said:

U bass is a great instrument much underrated,  mine is an Excelsior made in England, finding a string you like can be problematic, Aquila Thunderblacks are my choice but still not entirely happy, keep some baby talc handy for the strings. 3 of my 4 baritones are Kala, the other is an experiment made from bits which will be replaced by a custom built instrument later this year but I'm not sure what you'd call it other than 'different' 😀

Thanks for sharing. It’s similar for me too, in that I don’t really like the strings. I should really get round to trying some different sets on it. 

Great instrument though. 

I know at least some of the Pono U basses are designed for wound strings, but on the whole I prefer the rubber bands for a number of reasons, my 'concept' instrument has wound classical guitar strings but my search for my desired strings for that will continue, anyway the luthier won't be able to start on that until at least June. Hoping to talk to him next weekend so he can tell me I'm an idiot but if I'm paying he'll build it, I've got a few ideas kicking around my head but will be guided by the expert.

• Thanks 1