Why become a member? ×

looking for a good combo.

philippe sudry

Hello everybody.

I'm in the bass trip since 6 months and I'm thinking to upgrade from my laptop and little monitors to a very good combo (somewhat cheaper than head + cab).

I'm playing an old Yamaha pulsar PB 400, Thomastik flatwounds and obviously I like deep, round and mellow tones.

I picked up three models :  Fender rumble 100 v3 (which sems to be the one-to-go), Tech21 VT 200 and Tecamp puma 112.

Can you help me to make a decision ?

Thanks a lot, cheers from Brittany !

Hi Philippe,

To help us in giving you sensible recommendations could you let us know:

Are you using the combo for home use only or with a band?

Do you have a particular budget cap in mind e.g. the Tecamp 112 (now replaced by the Eich 112) is a lot more expensive than the Fender Rumble 100?

Are you happy to buy used? If so, your budget will stretch a lot further (although you will likely  need to persuade the seller to courier overseas, if you are buying from the UK)?

Thanks for your quick answers ! 

I will use the combo at home (for practice, or rehearsals in a traditional music band). If the budget could remain under 500 euros it will be great.

Of course used gear in good shape would be welcome, but I am aware that delivery is a very big issue...

Tecamp is by far the best on your list IMO. Build quality is top notch and the Puma amp is a beaut. It will also take an extension cab where the Rumble won't. I don't know about the VT200 but I'd imagine it would be hard to shift if you wanted to move on.

1 hour ago, philippe sudry said:

Thanks for your quick answers ! 

I will use the combo at home (for practice, or rehearsals in a traditional music band). If the budget could remain under 500 euros it will be great.

Of course used gear in good shape would be welcome, but I am aware that delivery is a very big issue...

Well I would suggest getting the best piece of kit that your budget allows :) 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/solid_state_bass_combos.html?sid=e98cb9023f3a4f81f116535bcb64b3f1

My suggestions would be as follows:

Ampeg BA-210 V2 

Tech 21 VT Bass 200

Fender Rumble 200 (not 100)

And one budget one, which is very good value:

TC BG250 2x10

The Eich BC112 (Tecamp no longer being made) is Euros 985, so would not fit your budget.

Edited by Al Krow

Deep round tones would point more towards a 15” speaker. Al Krow suggested the Rumble 200. Secondhand is the way to go and if you can stretch your budget - 2 Markbass models would IMO (à mon avis) be great - 121p and the 102p. One thing I don’t think you mentioned is weight; is that important for you? If you are young and strong and don’t care about how heavy or big your combo is; you have many more choices. The Markbass models are both light. Of the ones on your list - the Fender and Eich are opposite ends of the tonal spectrum. 

Lots of Trace Elliot 15” combos on the used market. good luck