Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

MIke Rutherford's bass part for the tune 'Evidence Of Autumn'. It was recorded around the time of the 'Duke' cd and was released as the B-side of the single 'Misunderstanding'. I am not sure why this never appeared on the album as I think it is one of the best songs Genesis ever recorded (and I say that as a massive Genesis fan).

Link is to the website.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/evidence-of-autumn-genesis/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

MIke Rutherford's bass part for the tune 'Evidence Of Autumn'. It was recorded around the time of the 'Duke' cd and was released as the B-side of the single 'Misunderstanding'. I am not sure why this never appeared on the album as I think it is one of the best songs Genesis ever recorded (and I say that as a massive Genesis fan).

Link is to the website.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/evidence-of-autumn-genesis/

Not heard that before. 

Trick of the Tail to Duke was my fav era and Duke was probably the last album i fully enjoyed from Genesis.

Met them on the Duke tour at Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs. I was a big fan back then. Seconds Out being one of my fav albums.

Dave  

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Trick of the Tail to Duke was my fav era and Duke was probably the last album i fully enjoyed from Genesis.

Met them on the Duke tour at Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs. I was a big fan back then. Seconds Out being one of my fav albums.

Dave  

Seconds Out remains a favourite of mine (first Genesis LP I heard). I was going to see Hackett doing it live in November but it has been put back to 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Seconds Out remains a favourite of mine (first Genesis LP I heard). I was going to see Hackett doing it live in November but it has been put back to 2021.

Same for me with Seconds Out. Managed to get the music book for the album signed by the full band incl manager and some wives too.

Another Jeff Berlin transcription (delayed by the 'Fool For Your Loving' incident), this is a full transcription of the tune 'Scarecrow Soup' from Berlin's 1997 'Taking Notes' cd. Tough little sucker to read and you really have to get your sixteenth note chops together and concentrate as there are big spaces with no notes and weird rhythms. Great fun to play, though.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/scarecrow-soup-jeff-berlin/

18 hours ago, Bilbo said:

For the record, the FFYL transcription generated 581 hits on Friday night. How 'kin A is that? 

Brilliant. Fascinating liner notes on that one as well. 

Sweeping generalisation on FFYL audience but you’d assume your more rock oriented transcriptions might motivate a few more souls to persevere with notation.. 

19 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Another Jeff Berlin transcription (delayed by the 'Fool For Your Loving' incident), this is a full transcription of the tune 'Scarecrow Soup' from Berlin's 1997 'Taking Notes' cd. Tough little sucker to read and you really have to get your sixteenth note chops together and concentrate as there are big spaces with no notes and weird rhythms. Great fun to play, though.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/scarecrow-soup-jeff-berlin/

Can't get the transcription to download @Bilbo ?

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Brilliant. Fascinating liner notes on that one as well. 

Sweeping generalisation on FFYL audience but you’d assume your more rock oriented transcriptions might motivate a few more souls to persevere with notation.. 

No doubt but my motivation is not to be popular but to provide some transcriptions that no one else is doing. I know I could get bigger audiences but I have no intention to monetise this so there is no motivation to regurgitate endless Pop and Rock tunes. I do the transcriptions that interest me and, sometimes, it is just nice to be kind and give some time to help someone out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

No doubt but my motivation is not to be popular but to provide some transcriptions that no one else is doing. I know I could get bigger audiences but I have no intention to monetise this so there is no motivation to regurgitate endless Pop and Rock tunes. I do the transcriptions that interest me and, sometimes, it is just nice to be kind and give some time to help someone out. 

Absolutely. Wasn't for a minute suggesting you should do more of anything or chase any populism - it's great the way it is.

My point was really that the FFYL piece will have definately brought your 'learn to read music' maxim to some new folk.

• Like 1

Short one today. The core bass part for Dave Holland's recording of Steve COleman''s tune 'Wights Waits For Weights. It is eight bars long and is in 3:4 although the last bar is 4:4. When reading this remember to be aware of when the notes end as well as when they begin.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/wights-waits-for-weights-dave-holland-quintet/

Arguably the easiest read on here; Richard Nolan's bass part for the tune 'You'll Never Go To Heaven' by It Bites - easier even that Steve Dawson's 'Dallas 1 P.M.' line. I have put this up here because, at less than 60 bpm, with the exclusion of about three bars, the whole chart is pretty much readable after about one reading lesson. I always found it encouraging to be able to read something 'real' as opposed to the tedious etudes that you have to work through when you are studying. 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/youll-never-go-to-heaven-it-bites/

• Like 2

Brilliant band, brilliant album. From their best era IMHO.

Met Francis Dunnery in the bar area after his support gig to Robert Plant in Glasgow (i wasn't a big Robert Plant fan but a huge It Bites fan) Such a nice down to earth guy who sat and chatted for ages with us.

A legend

Dave