Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

20 hours ago, itu said:
5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure if this was deliberate Rob but Geddy has a different bass in the pics for the last 4 Rush songs you've posted :hi:

Yes i'm a saddo that notices these things 

Dave 😂

Complete accident, Dave. Just try not to use the same image too often. 

• Haha 1

A lot of people don’t like Signals because of all the synths and because Alex Lifeson’s guitar takes a bit of a back seat but there are some excellent songs and personally I loved the album from the first time I heard it. It’s aged well. Subdivisions is the standout track but Digital Man is definitely the most fun to play. And that (Rickenbacker?) bass tone!

Thanks Rob :)

• Like 1

A head chart for the tune 'Chasin' Jason', from the 1997 Jeff Berlin album, 'Taking Notes'. It stops three or four bars into the solos but the bass part gets too knotty from that point and would take to long to put together what would, ultimately, be an unreadable chart. It's a really challenging chart but great fun to play once you get a handle on the detail.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/chasin-jason-jeff-berlin/

Edited by Bilbo

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

A head chart for the tune 'Chasin' Jason', from the 1997 Jeff Berlin album, 'Taking Notes'. It stops three or four bars into the solos but the bass part gets too knotty from that point and would take to long to put together what would, ultimately, be an unreadable chart. It's a really challenging chart but great fun to play once you get a handle on the detail.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/chasin-jason-jeff-berlin/

I recently tried to listen to this, but couldn't finish it. :$ 'Great fun to play' it may be, but I'll not be giving it another go. Well done on writing it out, though. :friends:

• Like 1

I blow hot and cold with Jeff Berlin stuff, Dad. I think his Low and High Standards albums are icky and there are certain tracks on his recordings that do nothing for me but every now and then he does something that I can get excited by. Whatever else you can say about it, you can always hear the bass parts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another quick Dave Holland part, the bass line that underpins the head of the tune 'Four Winds' which appears on both the 1973 Holland album, 'Conference of the Birds' and the later trio record 'Triplicate'. Tricky little sucker that takes liberties with the bar lines throughout!

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/four-winds-bass-for-head-dave-holland/

And another. The bass part to 'The Twlight Zone'.

For the record, I did all three last night. Took me about two hours in total. I can read all of these cold (relatively slow tempos and repetitive lines helps). I remember when I first started listening to Rush and thought that Geddy Lee was the man! I love the fact that I can now play pretty much all of his lines from the dots without having to 'learn' them (I didn't really learn these properly at the time I was listening to them in earnest as doing so was that much more difficult in those days before computers and Transcribe software). It is easy to think you aren't improving when you are looking at your playing on a day to day basis but, looking back on these tunes, I am playing things cold that the 17 year old me thought were absolutely exceptional at the time. 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/the-twilight-zone-rush/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

The website now has over 400 transcriptions on it. 

Brilliant achievement Rob!

I did have a look previously, but can't remember the outcome, but did you even do a transcription for Al Di Meloa's - Race With the Devil?

Hi Rob, if you could, that would be awesome!

One of the first tunes I learned with my first tutor, at the tender age of 15. Did have the sheets for it, but they have long since vanished in a house move somewhere along the line.

Thanks.