Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

24 minutes ago, peteb said:

Funnily enough , I had this discussion with a drummer at the last rehearsal we had. He always rated JB, putting him in the same league as Jaco. Personally, as good as Jeff Berlin is technically, I find him to be unlistenable whereas Jaco is often sublime (if you only listen to his best / least self indulgent / most iconic recordings of course)! I once bought a Bruford album featuring Berlin - just couldn't get into it at all... 

I lived (yes, lived) those Bruford albums when I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of them. Love Jaco but Jeff Berlin was the bloke who captured my imagination. I think Bruford (the band) are more 'English/European/Prog Rock' influenced that Jaco's stuff which is more Funk/Jazz/Blues. I am not a massive funk fan so tended to 'hear' the melodies in Bruford more readily. I was also a Yes fan before I discovered Bruford so was into his drum concept already. Love them both but I always thought Jeff Berlin was the stronger player. Less iconic, probably, but less 'lick' based. If you listen to t a lot of Jaco, there is a lot of repetition. You don't get that so much with JB.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I lived (yes, lived) those Bruford albums when I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of them. Love Jaco but Jeff Berlin was the bloke who captured my imagination. I think Bruford (the band) are more 'English/European/Prog Rock' influenced that Jaco's stuff which is more Funk/Jazz/Blues. I am not a massive funk fan so tended to 'hear' the melodies in Bruford more readily. I was also a Yes fan before I discovered Bruford so was into his drum concept already. Love them both but I always thought Jeff Berlin was the stronger player. Less iconic, probably, but less 'lick' based. If you listen to t a lot of Jaco, there is a lot of repetition. You don't get that so much with JB.

I came to Jaco (and the Bruford album that I couldn't listen to) as a rock fan (I had already been through my stint as a Yes / prog fan) who also liked blues / blues influenced music and was open to funk influences after listening to guys like Pat Travers, etc. I suppose that the funk influence was what attracted me more to Jaco, who also had a more soulful (not to mention damaged) personality that came across in his music, compared to the more bombastic Jeff Berlin.

One thing about the more ‘lick’ based approach was that as a young bass player, there was always some little thing to take from Jaco and try and incorporate in my playing. Even though I usually ended up not getting it quite right, it opened up new ideas that I could use and influenced how I play to a small extent. Of course, I never had any intention of trying to transcribe a whole piece from either Jaco or Jeff! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Something a little funky, in a 'broken beat' style that the young people have started to use :)

This is, I believe, Vincente Archer's bass part to the tune 'Free Style' from the 2020 Donald Harrison compilation 'The Burners'. There are indications on the web that this was Ron Carter but it just doesn't sound like Uncle Ron to me... there are also indications that Carter and Archer both featured on the Free To Be album that this track originally comes from. If anyone knows anything I don't, please get in touch and I can correct if necessary.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/free-style-donald-harrison/

Edited by Bilbo

On 24/09/2021 at 16:55, FDC484950 said:

Great album. I know Jeff Berlin isn’t universally popular but these Bruford albums and also his work with Allan Holdsworth was absolutely top drawer. Players like Jaco and Stanley Clarke are revered in the fusion world be I always thought he was every bit the equal. The real eye opener for me was his harmonic knowledge, his incredible facility across the neck and his pinpoint perfect technique. To this day I struggle to play some of his parts anywhere near as cleanly. Thanks again Bilbo 😀

Road Games EP with Allan Holdsworth - Jeeez, thats some playing alright

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I think Bruford (the band) are more 'English/European/Prog Rock' influenced...

Then you might like the late Pekka Pohjola. He was considered first as a composer and then as a bassist and a bandleader. Give this a try, there's even a solo.

It's ok but a little naive for my tastes. Lacks the edge of Bruford etc. I found Flim and The BBs a bit like that. Kinda nearly but not quite. Occasional passages that are nice but, overall, a bit 'lightweight'. Nice to check out something new, though, and I had never heard of this guy so thanks for sharing. I will look for some more by him and see where it takes me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Rob, have you heard early Starcastle albums. Very Yes like but a bit more commercial hits.

Shine On Brightly being one of my favs.

Dave

I have heard of them and heard that they were often compared to 'Yes' but, no, I have never followed them up either.

Just did... eeek. A bit syrupy 🤪

Edited by Bilbo
  • Haha 1

A challenging part, this is a transcription of the bass part for the tune 'State Of Disarray' from the 2018 album, 'A Walk In The Park' by UK Prog band, Panoply. The band is a studio project which it's creator, Kevin Fitzgerald, is seeking to take out on the road. Guess who he has got to play bass?

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/state-of-disarray-panoply/

• Like 1