Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

Having just discovered a PDF tool (that I appear to have had for a decade) that allows me to 'append' pdfs to other pdfs, as an exercise, I have managed to 'append' the transcriptions of Geddy Lees bass parts for the  whole of the Rush - Moving Pictures album into one document. You can now play along with the whole album without interruption. How cool is that?

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/moving-pictures-rush-full-album/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Complete set of Herbie Flowers transcriptions of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/the-war-of-the-worlds-jeff-wayne/

Would love to have done this as a tribute / cover band. Would take a lot of work putting it together and getting musicians that like the idea would be even more difficult. Thanks for producing this one Rob. 👍

Dave

Jeff Andrews was a monster bass player. He kind of slipped under the radar a bit but was enormously respected.
Thanks very much for this and all the other transcriptions. I really wish we had this sort of thing when I was learning to play many years ago. The biggest issue with learning to read was a lack of good, bass-specific material (I ended up on Bach cello pieces, which is why I ended up on 5-string - but it was hardly rock and roll!) 

It’s also fabulous that this is freely available to everyone and inspired me to pick up the bass again. Keep up the great work!

That was why I wanted to post these transcriptions. I found learning to read using conventional method books very uninspiring. Tedious etudes with no aesthetic relationship to the kinds of music I wanted to play. When I started transcribing, I found loads of charts that would be great for learner readers and, in this day of YouTube and Spotify, the tunes were really easy to access. So I thought, stick them out there and let people use them. 73000 hits to date so they have found a niche!

• Like 4

Another Tony Reeves chart from the 1973 Greenslade album, 'Bedside Manners Are Extra'. This is a transcription of Tony Reeve's part. It is not complete as the long solo section at the end is not transcribed in detail but presented as a four bar repeated section featuring the core elements.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/chalkhill-greenslade/

• Like 1

Great album. I know Jeff Berlin isn’t universally popular but these Bruford albums and also his work with Allan Holdsworth was absolutely top drawer. Players like Jaco and Stanley Clarke are revered in the fusion world be I always thought he was every bit the equal. The real eye opener for me was his harmonic knowledge, his incredible facility across the neck and his pinpoint perfect technique. To this day I struggle to play some of his parts anywhere near as cleanly. Thanks again Bilbo 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Great album. I know Jeff Berlin isn’t universally popular but these Bruford albums and also his work with Allan Holdsworth was absolutely top drawer. Players like Jaco and Stanley Clarke are revered in the fusion world be I always thought he was every bit the equal. The real eye opener for me was his harmonic knowledge, his incredible facility across the neck and his pinpoint perfect technique. To this day I struggle to play some of his parts anywhere near as cleanly. Thanks again Bilbo 😀

100% agree. I'd rather listen to Jeff Berlin than Jaco or Stanley Clarke.

Dave

• Like 1

I thought I had done this already but I was trying to put together a 'full album' pdf of the Bruford 'One Of A Kind' and could not find it anywhere on any of my devices. So here it is. This is the full Jeff Berlin bass part for the beautiful 'Forever Until Sunday' from the 1979 Bruford album. Full album PDF to follow.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/forever-until-sunday-bruford/ 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 19:06, dmccombe7 said:

100% agree. I'd rather listen to Jeff Berlin than Jaco or Stanley Clarke.

Dave

Funnily enough , I had this discussion with a drummer at the last rehearsal we had. He always rated JB, putting him in the same league as Jaco. Personally, as good as Jeff Berlin is technically, I find him to be unlistenable whereas Jaco is often sublime (if you only listen to his best / least self indulgent / most iconic recordings of course)! I once bought a Bruford album featuring Berlin - just couldn't get into it at all... 

10 minutes ago, peteb said:

Funnily enough , I had this discussion with a drummer at the last rehearsal we had. He always rated JB, putting him in the same league as Jaco. Personally, as good as Jeff Berlin is technically, I find him to be unlistenable whereas Jaco is often sublime (if you only listen to his best / least self indulgent / most iconic recordings of course)! I once bought a Bruford album featuring Berlin - just couldn't get into it at all... 

That's what makes life interesting. We all have different tastes.

I got into Jeff Berlin because i liked Bill Bruford. I like Jaco but i find Berlin is more fluent in his playing but in a way i enjoy / prefer.

Dave 

• Like 1