Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

It's mostly stuff from my own collection, Dave. Not really any Funk, Pop, Country, Rap, House, Electronica etc but lots of Fusion, Jazz and old school Rrrrrrrock. It's my musical life and (almost) no one else's. I did my first double bass gig last weekend and am on an upright buzz at the moment so the Marsalis stuff is getting an airing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheese Fest!! Anthony Jackson's bass part for 'Spanish Eyes' off the 1980 Al Di Meola album, 'Splendido Hotel'. It's only really four bars long and repeats up and down fourths and fifths (don't get cocky, kid - there are some tricky bits, too). Jackson plays this with a pick so there's another challenge to consider.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/spanish-eyes-al-di-meola/

• Like 1

I learned this one on electric bass very early on in my playing career after seeing it performed on TV on an Oscar Peterson fronted Jazz programme. I recorded the programme on VHS video cassette and then recorded the soundtrack off that onto a C90 tape cassette before learning the piece (I didn't write it down that time as I was not reading). No Transcribe software in those days :) The tune is called 'Airpower' and features the bass player Neils Henning Orsted Pedersen ripping us all a new one.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/airpower-niels-henning-orsted-pedersen/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard this for the first time recently (a live version with Tony Levin on it) and has to get under the skin of it. A beautiful theme and interesting time feels. Here is a full transcription of the John Wetton bass part for 'Starless' from the 1974 King Crimson album 'Red'. I am not entirely happy with the 13:8 passages - they are so fast a furious that it is tough to catch every detail. If you want it to be 100% exact, feel free to use this transcription as a starting point and do you own.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/starless-king-crimson/

Edited by Bilbo

Here is a more challenging chart. Anthony Jackson's monster bass part for the tune 'Joe Cool' from a 1984 album by a band called 'French Toast', the first recording by pianist Michel Camilo who Jackson has featured with regularly since. The lines are absolutely stunning and completely unreadable :) The performance sees Jackson absolutely on top of his game.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/joe-cool-french-toast/

• Thanks 1

I never check to see if anyone else has transcribed  a song already? Sometimes it's fun or interesting to transcribe a song yourself even if there are 50 versions already out there. Interests: my collection of jazz and fusion is much bigger than any other genre of music. I have to admit that my choices are often based on website statistics. Another big part of what I release are assignments. I wish I had more time to transcribe fusion, especially Metheny, Holdsworth and Stern. There are a few Gary Peacock albums too.

I specifically don't think about footfall when I decide what to transcribe, just 'this is interesting/challenging or even frivolous'. I would love to do more full transcriptions of double bass Jazz but so much of the detail is lost in the mix. Electric bass is so much easier to identify and capture. I leave the Pop and Funk stuff alone mostly because I don't ever really listen to it. 

Another Jeff Berlin chart although this one is actually playable :) The tune is called 'Foxy Morons' and comes from the 2005 album 'Boston T Party by Dennis Chambers, Jeff Berlin, David Fiuczynski and T. Lavitz. There is a distorted bass solo on the tune but that is not included in the transcription which focusses on the underpinning bass part.

Foxy Morons – Dennis Chambers, Jeff Berlin, David Fiuczynski, T. Lavitz – Bilbo's Bass Bites (bilbosbassbites.co.uk)

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

John Mole's bass part for 'What Would You Rather Bee Or A Wasp' from the 1978 Gary Moore album, 'Back On The Streets'.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/what-would-you-rather-be-or-a-wasp-gary-moore/

That's amazing, when the notification for this post popped up I was just reading Mole's Wikipedia page after searching to see what happened to him after seeing a YT clip on Jon Hiseman and then watching a Colosseum II clip. 

Edited by peteb