Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished transcribing all of '2112'. I have learned how to split the score so I can put the whole 'suite' on one chart - 12 pages.  I need to proof read it today to look for any clinkers (I have already noticed a couple) but, hopefully, the pdf can go up tomorrow. The site is nearing 39,000 hits so I reckon this will push it over 40k. :)

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 3

Some production challenges on this chart as I learned to split the system so I could present the whole of the performance but also divide it into the individual sections. This is an 11-page chart of the Geddy Lee bass part for the side-long title track of the 1976 album, '2112'. some challenging moments reading-wise but a lot of fun for the Rush fans out there.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/2112-rush/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Some production challenges on this chart as I learned to split the system so I could present the whole of the performance but also divide it into the individual sections. This is an 11-page chart of the Geddy Lee bass part for the side-long title track of the 1976 album, '2112'. some challenging moments reading-wise but a lot of fun for the Rush fans out there.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/2112-rush/

Excellent job @Bilbo

Loving this one.

Dave

Form the 2013 Steven Wilson album, 'The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)', this is the Nick Beggs bass part for the tune 'Luminol'. A 12-minute Prog epic, it is not that hard to read as there is a lot of repetition and there are only about 4 or five different  riffs to 'read' before you can relax.

Luminol – Steven Wilson – Bilbo's Bass Bites

I sometimes find myself thinking 'I don't know what to transcribe next'? and then something rings a bell or sets me thinking and this was one such occasion. I was sitting there wondering what to do next and came across a copy of Tubular Bell that came free with a newspaper some years ago. I thought 'why not'? and here we are. It only took about two and a half hours as there is a lot of repetition in the chart but there are some really interesting reading challenges in there.

Tubular Bells Part One – Mike Oldfield – Bilbo's Bass Bites/

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

How's about Genesis Suppers Ready ?

Dave

I have been listening to this today and I have to say I can only hear about 4 minutes of bass guitar on the whole track. The rest is bass pedals and left hand keyboard. Is it just me? 

50 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I have been listening to this today and I have to say I can only hear about 4 minutes of bass guitar on the whole track. The rest is bass pedals and left hand keyboard. Is it just me? 

I actually have the Seconds Out music book fully autographed by Genesis at that time witha few wives as well.

Its been a while since listening to it but from memory back in 80's there was a bass played thru the song but maybe it was doubled up on keys. There are def bass pedals in there but i'm pretty sure Rutherford doubled up with the bass too.

Wonder if the original version might be better to distinguish bass part.

I'll have a wee listen just now.

If its bass pedals and keys its pointless doing it i would think.

Dave

Yep original with Gabriel was bass pedals up to Willow Farm at circa 10mins when Rutherford takes on the bass.

In fact Hackett, Rutherford and Banks were all playing acoustics for a lot of the 10mins.

Yep you are spot on there  Rob. 1982 version was bass pedals at start as well with left hand low piano added possibly for definition.

Dave 

Oooohhhh that's tasty Rob.

If someone handed you that sheet music could you sight read it and play it right away or would you need to work on it a little. Its quite a fast wee riff going on there.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

14 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I would definitely need to work on it in advance and would probably struggle even then. It's a real toughie. Kudos to Kottzen and Wilson both. 

With you reading music a lot more than i do i was just curious if anyone could actually play that first time solely thru sight reading. 

Dave