Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

My latest transcription is proving to be a real slog. It is over 14 minutes long and changes time signature almost every other bar. Love it, though. Something a bit special from my end but most people will never have heard it. One of the reasons I don't do this commercially is because I don't have to worry about how 'popular'' a tune is before I transcribe it and can just indulge myself.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

My latest transcription is proving to be a real slog. It is over 14 minutes long and changes time signature almost every other bar. Love it, though. Something a bit special from my end but most people will never have heard it. One of the reasons I don't do this commercially is because I don't have to worry about how 'popular'' a tune is before I transcribe it and can just indulge myself.

Now i'm sitting on the edge of my chair in a combination of curiosity and expectation.

Can't wait to see what this one is.

Dave

A real landmark transcription for me. Neil Murray's bass part for the tune 'Tenemos Roads' from the first National Health album (1977) - released at the heightof the Punk era - commercial suicide (not that this kind of Prog has ever been commercially successful). The tune is over 14 minutes long and the transcription is10 pages long. Lots of time signature changes so a great opportunity to practice counting.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/tenemos-roads-national-health/ 

• Like 1

A full transcription of Jeff Berlin's bass part to the tune '|Emeril Kicks It Up' from the 2009 album, 'In Harmony's Way'. A really interesting composition against a sweet shuffle groove, the transcription includes Berlin's bass solo. One bar that I struggled with (5 against 4 sixteenth notes?) but it's mostly there.

Emeril Kicks It Up – Jeff Berlin – Bilbo's Bass Bites

(just spotted something going awry in the closing bars; will have a look and post the amended score on the webiste when I get the chance)

Edited by Bilbo

A beautiful Jeff Berlin bass led ballad called 'Sean En La Madrugada' from the 1997 Berlin CD 'Taking Notes'. There is a second solo on the tune that is overdubbed but this transcription includes the lower 'bass' notes as opposed ot the second solo. I will transcribe that later and post separately. The chart is up in the Gods in terms of ledger lines so I am going to re-do it with 8va indicators when I get the chance. The website now features both the 8va version and the first draft.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/sean-en-la-madrugada-jeff-berlin/

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

From the 1973 Greenslade album, 'Bedside Manners Are Extra', this is Tony Reeve's bass part for the tune 'Time To Dream'. Tony Reeves was another big influence on me as a kid and I spent a lot of time with his playing. Lots of quality playing to enjoy across this album and the other two he recorded with Greenslade, the first album and 'Spyglass Guest'.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/time-to-dream-greenslade/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

From the 1973 Greenslade album, 'Bedside Manners Are Extra', this is Tony Reeve's bass part for the tune 'Time To Dream'. Tony Reeves was another big influence on me as a kid and I spent a lot of time with his playing. Lots of quality playing to enjoy across this album and the other two he recorded with Greenslade, the first album and 'Spyglass Guest'.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/time-to-dream-greenslade/

Met Tony Reeves at a demo of Burns Basses. It was around 1980 and they had just released the Burns Scorpion basses. He was absolutely amazing and really into talking bass things with people. I was already a Greenslade fan before meeting him so that made my day.

Another Jaco transcription, this is the middle section of 'Suite: Golden Dawn' from the 1976 Al DiMeola album 'Land Of The Midnight Sun'. Entitled 'Calmer Of The Tempest', it comprises a classic Jaco melodic fretless bass part. Relatively easy to play (unlike the rest of the Suite which is nigh on impossible :)

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/suite-golden-dawn-al-dimeola/

Edited by Bilbo

On 07/08/2020 at 09:41, Bilbo said:

A Basschat request: Neil Murray's bass part on Whitesnake's 'Fool For Your Loving'

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/fool-for-your-loving-whitesnake/

Can I ask a genuine question? 

This is a part I know and the song is obviously in G minor but you have transcribed it with one sharp, which I assume is G major. Is this a protocol, or is it just the way your transcribing programme (if you use one) works? 

I am speaking as someone who can't read beyond a very basic level and I'm just curious. 

• Like 1

I am perfectly cpacble of getting it wrong, Pete. When I deceide what key signature to use, if any, it is about the chart rather tahn the song. What makes this easier ro read? It is perfectly possible that you are right and I am wrong. REading it now, it looks like there are natural accidentals on loads of Fs which would support your argument completely. I am self taught as well so absolutely fallable.

Edited by Bilbo

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I am perfectly cpacble of getting it wrong, Pete. When I deceide what key signature to use, if any, it is about the chart rather tahn the song. What makes this easier ro read? It is perfectly possible that you are right and I am wrong. REading it now, it looks like there are natural accidentals on loads of Fs which would support your argument completely. I am self taught as well so absolutely fallable.

If I could humbly offer a few suggestions? Firstly great work on all these charts....there's some serious time and effort gone in here and that is excellent. I know this from all the transcriptions I've done how long it takes (http://www.dodgebass.co.uk/transcriptions-2/transcriptions) but this is not me trying to hijack your thread, rather to suggest if I may:

1) Including chords in a transcription is really cool because it allow the reader to understand how the bass line fits against the harmony. This may also resolve / aid your issue with figuring out what key signature pieces are in...I can see you've done that for some actually but my feeling is it's really helpful for ALL charts. 

2) Consider your physical layout on the page - get rid of 'electric bass / bass' at the start of each line - we know it's a bass transcription (!). Also you can use double bar lines to show different sections (which again you do on some charts) but also consider trying to set the number of bars per line to a logical amount (e.g. 4) which in turn hopefully allows you to make different sections of the song clearer (often sections are in 8 / 12 / 16 bar sections). This allows for easy navigation by the reader - sometimes I'll even note Verse / chorus etc on the chart as well. 

3) It's often useful to include a BPM or tempo marking and if you know it perhaps style and even technical notes like use of plectrum or specific bass / strings used.

4) See an attached transcription for what I'm trying to suggest above.

Feel free to ignore this post entirely, but hopefully this constructive feedback will be of some use to you. Good luck with it all and keep up the good work!

Locked-Out-of-Heaven-Bruno-Mars.pdf

That's helpful, Dodge. I tend to include chords if they are readily available as I am not inclined to spend hours working out that level of detail. The rest of your suggestions are perfectly possible. The instrument reference is on the Sibelius template and I never considered it to be an issue. BPM would be easy enough. The four bars a line may be difficult depending on the density of the parts. 

Its also worth adding that the intention of the site is to provide source material for reading practice that is 'real world' as opposed to tedious exercises that are fairly uninspiring. A means of getting people to recognise the value in reading as opposed to studying harmony etc. Good ideas, though, and a welcome post. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

I adore this tune and this one is, for me, THE version. There are other versions availabe but this is the one where Jaco plays the melody before singer Flora Purim enters with the vocals. It appears on the 2005 CD 'Flora's Song' but obviously was recorded long before that. I cannot find the date of the original recording anywhere but it is complicated by the existance of other versions. This is the head and bass solo by Jaco Pastorius on Flora Purim's version of his composition 'Las Olas'. 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/las-olas-flora-purim/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I adore this tune and this one is, for me, THE version. There are other versions availabe but this is the one where Jaco plays the melody before singer Flora Purim enters with the vocals. It appears on the 2005 CD 'Flora's Song' but obviously was recorded long before that. I cannot find the date of the original recording anywhere but it is complicated by the existance of other versions. This is the head and bass solo by Jaco Pastorius on Flora Purim's version of his composition 'Las Olas'. 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/las-olas-flora-purim/

That's a pretty good impression but it's not Jaco! Maybe Marcus Miller?!

The internet lists Gary Brown, Andre De Santanna and Reggie Hamilton as linked to the CD (this is one of the problems with downlaods - no cd booklet/ record sleeve to refer to). It is also confusing in so far as Flora Purim records the same tracks repeatedly with different line ups and in different arrangements. I am happy to be proved wrong is anyone knows for sure! It sounds like JP and I put two and two together and got a big 'ol five!.😃

Edited by Bilbo
  • Haha 2