Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

Oh, my giddy Aunt. This one is all over the shop. I am not at all sure whether this is an accurate transcription or a bit 'Heath Robinson'. There are passages where there is one bar of 4:4 followed by bars of 9:16, 3:4 and 15:16. I have no idea whether this is legitimate or whether I am missing a trick but the notes are all there, just not necessarily in the right order :) There is one passage in the late 80s (numbered bars) where I am not altogether sure whether I am hearing it right but, hell, these guys can play. Jeff Berlin's bass part on Bruford's 'If You Can't Stand The Heat' from the LP 'Feels Good To Me').

If You Can't Stand The Heat - Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 3

Something simple after that ridiculous Bruford nonsense yesterday. Prog obscurity with Chris Squire's bass part for 'You By My Side' off the 'Fish Out Of Water' album. The 'live' video I have attached is just him miming to the recording so it is the same lines as the chart. This is a really easy read so a good one for new readers..

You By My Side - Chris Squire Bass.pdf

Takes about an hour to two hours for most charts. The more complex charts can take three or four hours which I do over several days. The issue is how complex each bar is. Lots of time changes slow you down as well. That last Bruford charts was lunacy. It's a labour of love, though, so no real hardship. I decided I wanted to do 100 over 2020 (that's only two or three hours a week so, bearing in mind we are not gigging, it's no biggie) and have done 65 so far. What am I like? 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 3

Another Martin Briley part from the Greenslade LP 'Time and Tide'. This track is called 'Newsworth' which has some great lyrics from singer/second keyboard player, Dave Lawson.

(Newsworth) I've heard that, a Newsworth) A newsworth lives in his pen. May I suggest, It's likely that he lives in one then

(Newsworth) What happens, after you lie down at night. In your case the lying's not reclining, you can lie best upright.

A relatively easy read (next one is another Jeff Berlin part so don't get complacent)

Newsworth - Martin Briley Bass.pdf

On 06/06/2020 at 20:14, FDC484950 said:

Nice one Bilbo but this really should be in cut time. I've laboured through transcribing the whole album and it is a riot to play! There are some really, really difficult but also exceptionally melodic and interesting lines. Not Yet, the last track (reproduced from the 1985 album Why Not, which is interestingly different to the version on this album) is a nightmare to play to tempo :)

First time hearing this track........ It's just so great. Thanks Bilbo!

One more off the Bruford LP 'Feels Good To Me'. Featuring the eccentric vocals of Annette Peacock, the beauty of Kenny Wheeler's flugelhorn and the wonderful guitar of Allan Holdsworth, this is the bass part for both halves of the two part 'Seems Like A Lifetime Ago'. Remember, this is my take on it and I am perfectly happy to be challenged on the details. Lots of weird bar lengths alternating time signatures etc. A tough read but worth spending time on for the pleasure for hearing Jeff's wonderful bass parts.

Seems LIke A Lifetime Ago Pt. 1 & 2 - Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

I have taken delivery of my website and am now uploading the above transcriptions ready for the website to go public. It is taking me about 20 mins per chart at the moment as I am just finding out how to make all the different links and buttons work but it is exciting to see it coming together.

• Like 2

This is taking a while. I can upload about 4 an hour onto the new site. I have uploaded 30 of the charts in the archive so far and have 79 to go which is going to take me a few weeks to do as I can only put in an hour or two a day at most. In the meantime, I am not transcribing any new stuff. 

I have also got about 6 hours of interviews to write up (another book project) on top of a day job. Not enough hours in the day but we will get there. 'I am bored during lockdown'? You are 'avin' a laaaaaarf.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Here we go, folks. I have uploaded about 40 transcriptions (all ones you have seen already) and have another 70 odd to go so bear with but I thought there was enough on there for folk to start to have a look. Let me know what you think.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/

Nice!

I have added a link on my website to your transcriptions page 👍

On 06/07/2020 at 17:11, Bilbo said:

Here we go, folks. I have uploaded about 40 transcriptions (all ones you have seen already) and have another 70 odd to go so bear with but I thought there was enough on there for folk to start to have a look. Let me know what you think.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/

Been meaning to come back on here and say how good this looks, will enjoy digging through. The added bonus is discovering new stuff, as this thread has done. 

Ultimately I'm trying to up my own transcription game, and can also see myself using these to reference my own attempts. Miles' All Blues solo is one I've been meaning to notate for a while. 

• Like 1

Simple question, guys. My transcription website is now up and running but I am getting abut 400 hits a week here. Do you want me to keep posting new transcriptions on here or are you happy to go to the site. Happy either way. 😊

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Simple question, guys. My transcription website is now up and running but I am getting abut 400 hits a week here. Do you want me to keep posting new transcriptions on here or are you happy to go to the site. Happy either way. 😊

If you post on here i get a notification that its done. Its sometimes a gentle reminder to try new things.

Dave

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

If you post on here i get a notification that its done. Its sometimes a gentle reminder to try new things.

Dave

Yes exactly this. You could just post the link to the new upload on your site though. 

• Like 1