Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

30 minutes ago, Drax said:

Are you still pressing ahead with your own site? 

Yes. It is being developed by a IT savvy relative for free but he is busy with other projects that pay so obviously I am put on the back burner whilst the other projects are completed. We are progressing, though, so hopefully we will see Bilbo's Bass Bites up and running before long. 

• Like 2

A bit more Jeff Berlin. This one is the most difficult solos I think he ever recorded outside of his set pieces (Dixie etc). The solo starts at the 1:30 mark. If anyone ever nails it, please video yourself - I can't get anywhere near it!! The tune is 'Manos de Piedra' (Hands of Stone) from the LP 'Pump It'. The transcription is a FULL transcription (although the second run through the head is a cut a paste from the first so not entirely accurate).

Manos De Piedra Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 4

Another Chris Squire part, this time 'South Side Of The Sky' from the LP Fragile. Again, nothing chopsy about this one, just great simple bass parts. Some interesting Proggy time changes etc but, otherwise, a fairly easy read. I don't thin it goes over eighth notes throughout.  Again made easy by one of those isolated bass videos on YouTube.

South Side Of The Sky Bass.pdf

An early influence for me , in terms of defining the sound of a bass, was Jack Bruce on the 'Over The Top' album by Cozy Powell. I remember that I bought my first 'expensive' bass (an Aria SB600) because Jack had an Aria SB1000. I couldn't afford the more expensive model even thought, with hindsight, it was probably only £100 more. I was about 17 and we didn't have a lot of money in those days. I can date it roughly to about mid 1981 as it was just after I joined No Quarter (guitarist was mildly whizzed because I hadn't bought a Fender Precision). I loved the sound Jack got on this LP and it started a love of bass players with the letter J in their name, Jack Bruce, Jeff Berlin, Jaco, Jimmy Johnson and Percy Jones. I am working on transcribing things that meant a lot to me as a learner - it's all nostalgia. This is the full transcription of 'Heidi Goes To Town'. I am told that Heidi was Cozy Powell's dog.

Heidi Goes To Town Jack Bruce Bass.pdf

Another Jeff Berlin performance from the Bruford LP 'Gradually Going Tornado'. Another bass sound that I would look to emulate consciously or subconsciously. Unsurprisingly, Jeff Berlin was a big fan of Jack Bruce also so this is not at all surprising. This is a full transcription of Jeff's bass part to the tune 'The Sliding Floor'. Some tricky sections in this one. Bars of 11/8 (at least, that is how I hear it) and sections of changing time signatures. This is also one of the tunes that Jeff sings on. I always thought his voice was actually pretty good - better than many Prog band warblers!!

The Sliding Floor - Jeff Berlin.pdf

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

Another Jeff Berlin transcription. This is 'Q.E.D', another track from the Bruford album 'Gradually Going Tornado'.  Some tough counting in the early stages of this transcription and it is absolutely possible that I am not hearing the pulse correctly (I am thinking 6:4 listening to Dave Stewart's keyboards. Once the melody kicks in (played in unison by Jeff), the time settles down and it is easier to follow. Jeff told me that the tunes were always a mixture of charts and rehearsal arranging (I love that Jazz musicians are so approachable - I can't imagine getting a response from a Chris Squire (yes, I know he is dead, but you know what I mean). there are also a couple of passages where he is playing sliding double stops and octaves so I have tried to find a way to write it down but it nevertheless feels like a fudge. Anyway, have a look and see what you think.

Q.E.D. Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 2

Another of the tunes off the Cozy Powell 'Over The Top' album with Jack Bruce on bass, the source of my concept of a decent bass sound to this day. Some nice little grooves from JB. And having bought it when it came out in 1979, I have just realised that Don Airey quotes 'White Room' in the closing stages of the tune. How that hell did I miss THAT for forty years? 🤣

Theme One Jack Bruce Bass.pdf

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 11:02, Bilbo said:

This was great fun to transcribe and reading the transcription along with the recording (i.e. not playing it, just looking at it) is really entertaining. I wanted to do the trio version from the 'Michel Camilo In Trio' CD but I couldn't find it so I have used the big band version from the CD 'One More Once'. The tune is 'Why Not'? and features the legendary Anthony Jackson on contrabass guitar (that's a six string bass to you and me). Incredible playing and the syncopation in the arrangement is astonishing. Hold on to you hat!

Why Not Anthony Jackson Bass.pdf 83.76 kB · 13 downloads

Nice one Bilbo but this really should be in cut time. I've laboured through transcribing the whole album and it is a riot to play! There are some really, really difficult but also exceptionally melodic and interesting lines. Not Yet, the last track (reproduced from the 1985 album Why Not, which is interestingly different to the version on this album) is a nightmare to play to tempo :)

50 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Another of the tunes off the Cozy Powell 'Over The Top' album with Jack Bruce on bass, the source of my concept of a decent bass sound to this day. Some nice little grooves from JB. And having bought it when it came out in 1979, I have just realised that Don Airey quotes 'White Room' in the closing stages of the tune. How that hell did I miss THAT for forty years? 🤣

Theme One Jack Bruce Bass.pdf 62.65 kB · 1 download

Been hoping you would do this one next from Cozy Powell album. Great to finally see the music for it. Will see if i've been doing it right all these years :lol:

Thanks @Bilbo

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Nice one Bilbo but this really should be in cut time. 

I am self taught, my friend, so I am liable to poor practices when transcribing. Will revisit in line with your comments. Just bought Gould's Behind Bars to try and improve. I wanted to do the Trio version, the first one I heard, but I couldn't find it and tried the OMO version instead. 

Edited by Bilbo

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I am self taught, my friend, so I am liable to poor practices when transcribing. Will revisit in line with your comments. Just bought Gould's Behind Bars to try and improve. I wanted to do the Trio version, the first one I heard, but I couldn't find it and tried the OMO version instead. 

For someone self taught you're doing a fantastic job and much appreciated by us.

Dave

Another one of Jeff Berlin's performances from the Bruford album 'Gradually Going Tornado'. This is the track 'Plans For J.D.'. another of Jeff's vocal performances. I have to say that reading through this one actually brings a smile to my face. The chart has some delightful details that I hadn't noticed before so, for anyone who is interested in these recordings, I hope you enjoy exploring the chart. There is a particularly strong section in the middle where Jeff is firing on all cylinders. Only two more charts and I have done the whole album 😎

Plans For JD Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 1

100 transcriptions!! Another one I had been meaning to have a go at for years. Chris Squire's bass part to 'Heart Of The Sunrise' from the Yes LP 'Fragile'. Very weird experience trying to figure out the time signatures; 12:8, 6:8, bars of 5:8 and 3:8, some 4:4. Remember, this is MY interpretation. If you disagree with any details, that's entirely fine. Transcription is only ever interpretation and open to challenge. 

Heart Of The Sunrise Squire Bass.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! This one is a monster. Jeff Berlin's part for Land's End, a 10 minute 'epic' from the Gradually Going Tornado album. There are some very 'vague' passages int he middle around the piano interlude but, with a little poetic licence, you should be able to figure this out. Some monstrous grooves at various points in the performance. I remember trying to work this out in the pre-Transcribe days and got the first few bars of the 'funky' bit but, after that, no chance. It is a thrill for me to be able to put these things down later in life and to see what he was doing. Remember, this recording is now 40 years old so JB was about 27 when he recorded this (he is 67 now) and was probably the era's most technically advanced bass player. Things have moved on since then (he would be the first to admit it) but this album remains a major influence on mu electric playing. I have only one more tune to do before I have transcribed the whole album :)

Lands End - Jeff Berlin.pdf

• Thanks 2

I DID IT!! I have finally completed transcriptions of every tune from the Bruford album 'Gradually Going Tornado. This transcription is actually the easiest one off the album. I have no idea why Ieft it to the end as it is the first track on the record. Some tough syncopation to be read but it repeats a lot so, once you have it, you have it. This is Jeff Berlin's bass part for the track 'Age Of Information'.

Age Of Information Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Thanks 1

Another early favourite for me. Like Chris Squire, the tune is all tone. There is nothing 'chopsy' about it and it is a relatively easy read. I have always enjoyed this album and the bass sound that Martin Briley has achieved (using a Rickenbacker, I am reliably informed) is on a par with Squire but there aren't may notes so it is easy to play. Martin Briley's bass part for 'Animal Farm' from the Greenslade album 'Time And Tide'.

Animal Farm Martin Briley Bass.pdf

Another Jeff Berlin special. 'Hells Bells', the opening track from the Bruford album 'One Of A Kind'. There is one mad passage that I am not entirely satisfied with as the bass part is lost in the mix, even if you slow it down ( bars 89 to 101 - it is flagged on the chart) but the main sections are there. Again, the devil is in the detail and, whilst it is a hard chart to read, once you figure it out, it is not that difficult to play.

Hells Bells Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Another Jeff Berlin special. 'Hells Bells', the opening track from the Bruford album 'One Of A Kind'. There is one mad passage that I am not entirely satisfied with as the bass part is lost in the mix, even if you slow it down ( bars 89 to 101 - it is flagged on the chart) but the main sections are there. Again, the devil is in the detail and, whilst it is a hard chart to read, once you figure it out, it is not that difficult to play.

Hells Bells Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf 68.64 kB · 0 downloads

Fantastic thanks - been listening to this a lot lately, will give this a whirl 

I am still working on these old Bruford albums I loved when I was starting to get my playing together. Jeff Berlin's bass part of 'Back To The Beginning' from the first Bill Bruford album 'Feels Good To Me'. The 'jamming' section is a tough transcription as the bass is not particularly well placed in the mix but, if you want to play along with the recording, the main details are there.

Back To The Beginning - Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 3