Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

This is the complete bass transcription for the tune 'Children's Concerto' from the Patrick Moraz/Bill Bruford album 'Music For Piano And Drums' released in 1983. The LP was packaged in one of the minimalist things that were around at the time so there is scant detail on who the bass player was but his tune is perfect for the ensemble sound that the leaders were looking for and it is a credit to his (her?) musicianship that the part is integrated so well into the overall performance. A shame we aren't told who the player is as this may have been a career hightlight

Childrens Concerto Bass Part.pdf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I transcribed this off a recording that was included in a 7 CD bexed set of Eric Dolphy but I have since learned that it was actually from an Oliver Nelson LP called 'Screamin' The Blues'. This is George Duvivier's bass part inc. solo from the title track which is a standard Jazz blues in F. It is an easy read and I transcribed it as a good example of a stock blues walking bass line. As per established convention, the eighth notes are swung with a triplet feel so listen to the track alongside the transcription.

Screamin The Blues George Duvivier Bass.pdf

This is a full transcription of the arrangement of Mack The Knife by the Jimmy Guiffre 3. It is from an LP called 'The Easy Way' which I have, again, as part of one of those 7 CD 'classic albums' sets. I have not included all the lines and solos but only the parts linked to the arrangement so this transcription includes the guitar, clarinet and bass part. The musicians are Jimmy Guiffre (clarinet), Jim Hall (guitar) and the incomparable Ray Brown (bass).

Mac The Knife.pdf

• Like 1

A Latin groove in 3:4. This chart is Paul Socolow's bass part for the Manfredo Fest tune 'Brazilian Dorian Dream' from the CD 'Braziliana' (the video is the whole CD but, fortunately, the tune in question is the first tune on the album). It is quite rare to hear Latin grooves in 3:4 and the line during the melody is a challenge but some great melodies and lovely grooves. A tough read first time through but, once you nail one bar of the main riff, you've got it.

Brazilian Dorian Dream Paul Socolow Bass.pdf

Some more Latin bass. The Band is Harmonia Do Samba and the track 'Nega Do Balacobaco' but I cannot find who the bass player is because all of the internet references to the band are in Portuguese! It's a little bit of fun. Not a major problem reading wise due to the levels of rhythmic repetition. Great intro and outro that may need a bit more focus. For fun, I have also attached a version I did on my home studio with a couple of friends on vocals, percussion and saxophone. It is me on bass, guitar, drum machine and backing vocals. I did this long before I transcribed the bass part as a 'production' exercise

Mestre Bimba was the bass player, according to my Brazilian chum (the singer on my version) 

Nega Da Balacobaco Bass.pdf

Edited by Bilbo

I SO wish that we had had Transcribe software when I was learning to play the bass! 

These Jeff Berlin parts were so important to me when I was learning but all I could ever do was try to approximate and I couldn't get hold of any of the details. Now I can slow things down to 25% without changing the key, I can hear everything! This is Jeff Berlin's bass part to 'Gothic 17' from the 'Gradually Going Tornado' LP. As I recall, the title is from the name of the synth patch Dave  Stewart is using. Hope some of my fellow travellers can find some of the secrets that had previously  eluded them as they had me. 

Gothic 17 Jeff Berlin Bass.pdf

• Like 2

Another Jeff Berlin/Bruford classic - I have previously posted the head but this chart is the FULL transcription of the tune. I 'learned' this wjen I was starting to get into Jazz and Fusion bass players (I must have been about 19?). I could not get the detail at that point and never go past the head. It was fantastic to be able to slow it down and hear every detail on the pedals etc. I will try and do the second version of Pump It at some point but not today :) It was interesting to note that the 'solo' section in this performance was not improvised (he repeats it twice exactly same).

Joe Frazier Bass Complete.pdf

• Like 1

An odd little album that I always felt was less than the sum of its parts but I liked his track enough to wan t transcribe it. This is the Jeff Berlin bass part for Unt from the Kazumi Watanabe album 'The Spice Of Life'. Some nice lines in it and some strong shout choruses. The attached video is a live version whereas the transcription is the recording but it is not on youtube so try finding it on Spotify or some other website

Unt Jeff Berlin Bass Part.pdf

• Like 1

I happened to buy that LP in sale maybe some 30 years ago. I am on the same track as you, @Bilbo: compared to Bruford's other works, the music is a strange mixture of Japanese something and kind of happy fusion. It is a bit unclear to me, why Watanabe was so hot at the time.

Thanks for the transcription, once again. Interesting choices!

First section of the cello part of Bach's Double Violin Concerto transcribed and tweaked so it can be played on a bass (electric or double). Just an exercise but a wonderful example of Bach's genius. Just noticed the last note is a low D so you will have to move that up an octave to play it on a four string.

Bach Double Violin Concerto - cello for bass.pdf

Some more Paul Chambers. This time, it's his solo on 'Almost Like Being In Love' from Red Garland's 'Piano' album. The solo starts at around 3:08 on the track. Watch the phrasing as PC is pushing and pulling the time all the way and this makes transcription very subtle and the nuances difficult to accurately capture. 

Almost Like Being In Love Paul Chambers Bass Solo.pdf

More Chris Squire. This track often gets a b ad rap from Yes fans but I could never see what was wrong with it. I guess it may be because it came when the Punk thing was fresh in people's minds and may have sounded a bit naïve at the time. I find the bass part interesting, though. As an aside, when I recorded this from ipod to PC, the lead was dodgy so the recording massively favoured one half of the stereo mix. It was the half with the backing vocals on and I heard things I have never heard before despite having listened to the recording for decades. This is a complete transcription of Squire's bass part to 'Circus Of Heaven' from the LP 'Tormato'.

Circus Of Heaven Chris Squire Bass Part.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

This one took a wee while but it was a labour of love. I remember when I must have been about 14 (no idea really) and, for reasons I cannot recall, I went into town with my mate's older brother. At this point, my knowledge of music was essentially Pop driven, like most young kids. This 'older guy' was about 16 or 17. When we were out, he bought two LPs 'Time And Tide' by Greeenslade and 'Close To The Edge' by Yes. He loaned them both to me soon after and I have loved both LPs ever since even after 40+ years of hearing other things. Technology was not what it is now back then and we didn't have YouTube etc so I never really spent much time playing along to CTTE as I couldn't really hear the details enough to play them. Roll forward to 2020 and we discover the wonders of 'Isolated Bass' tracks on YouTube. 40 years later, I give you Chris Squire's bass part to arguably THE most important Prog track of all time. Lots of lovely surprises in the exercise for me, not the least of which is the realisation that most of the track (but not all of it) is in 3:4. Time signatures and bar lengths-wise, this transcription is how I hear it and there may be other ways of putting it together. Either way, I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it down.

Note: There is no bass during the 'I Get Up, I Get Down' section.

Close To The Edge Bass Part.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you for doing these, and for sharing them. I feel obliged to give them a go. On a side note - I've never been a YES fan - I don't dislike them, they're just on a to-do list of sorts - BUT I did meet Chris Squire once backstage at a YES gig. A mate had a plus one ticket through some connections so I went along. As impressive as the night was, my outstanding memory is - Bloody hell, Chris Squire is a huge!

Today's transcription is something a little bit 'off the beaten track'. It is the bass part for a piece called 'Cha Cha Con Meatus' from the trio of bass player Steve Berry. Steve was the main bass player throughout the history of the band 'Loose Tubes' and his trio album features Mark Lockheart on saxophones and Pete Fairclough on drums. I understand Steve is still a big part of the education scene up North but am not sure of the details. I met him on a Jazz Summer School in the 1990s and told him I had done this transcription. I revisited yesterday and there were definitely some clinkers in there that I have addressed. I have to say that I am not entirely happy with the transcription as there are moments when the bass is hard to pick up but this is my version and, if it encourages anyone to check out Steve's great little album, that's good enough for me.  I lost the LP when I ditched my vinyl a few years ago but it is now available again on Bandcamp for whatever you feel inclined to pay.

https://steveberry1.bandcamp.com/album/trio

Cha Cha Con Meatus - Steve Berry Bass.pdf

A bit more Chris Squire - again made possible by the isolated bass tracks available on YouTube. This one is a lot shorter than I remember and is actually quite easy to play. Great songs, great arranging but seldom virtuoso playing, despite the reputation the band had during this time. 'Long Distance Runaround' from the Yes LP 'Fragile' (the first one with a Roger Dean cover).

Long Distance Runaround Chris Squire Bass.pdf

• Like 2

I have long believed that there is a lot to be said for transcribing solos from instruments other than bass. There are problems with doing this, however, as there are different techniques and tricks associated with other instruments that don't translate particularly well to bass. I started this transcriptions and got the head and two choruses down before it got a bit mad and the benefits of continuing were less clear. This is Wynton Marsalis's head and the first two choruses of the solo of the tune 'Just Friends' from the album 'Live at Blues Alley'. A very strong live album from the period where Marsalis was really blowing and before he got into the more heavily arranged stuff. 

Marsalis Just Friends.pdf

• Like 1

This was great fun to transcribe and reading the transcription along with the recording (i.e. not playing it, just looking at it) is really entertaining. I wanted to do the trio version from the 'Michel Camilo In Trio' CD but I couldn't find it so I have used the big band version from the CD 'One More Once'. The tune is 'Why Not'? and features the legendary Anthony Jackson on contrabass guitar (that's a six string bass to you and me). Incredible playing and the syncopation in the arrangement is astonishing. Hold on to you hat!

Why Not Anthony Jackson Bass.pdf

• Like 3

I thought I would have a crack at this one even thought I don't particularly like it. The piece is a straightforward blues with a couple ripping 'guitar' solos by JB. Lots of guitarist tricks so you will need to listen to this as you read it to get the feel of the phrasing etc. I couldn't be arsed to put in every slur and bend. It's a but of fun, I guess. You can hear his Jack Bruce influences clearly on this one.

Crossroads Jeff Berlin Bass Part.pdf

• Like 1