Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's Transcription Archive

Bilbo

I am working on a transcription of Jeff Berlin's bass part for the track 'Beelzebub' off Bruford's 'Feels Good To Me' album. Should be with you by 2023. It goes from 3:4 to 9:8 to 4:4 back to 9:8 then bars of 5:4 and, 4:4 alternating irregularly. Its playable but unreadable. 

And there are four single bars of 11:8. A first for me. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Haha 1

This Beelzebub thing is driving me nuts. I realised that, because I was speeding the track up and slowing it down so much to try and capture the detail, I had unwittingly recorded a long passage in 5/4 alternating with 4/4 on a 5455,5455,5455 basis when it should have been either 9/8 alternating with 4/4 or, as I have done, 5:8, 4:8, 5:8, 5:8 which is 'wrong' but is easier to read. So I had to go back and change dozens of bars and rewrite them. Nearly there but, bloody hell!

Edited by Bilbo

Unbelievably, having spent three weeks on transcribing Jeff Berlin's parts on 'Beelezebub', I managed to nail the whole of his bass parts to 'Sahara of Snow Pts 1 & 2' from the LP 'One Of A Kind' in one sitting. Much easier due to lots of repetition and an absence of mad time signature changes bar to bar. This one if a bit more fun.

Sahara Of Snow Pt 1 and 2 - Jeff Berlin.pdf

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on some more Bruford but, to keep things moving, I knocked up a bit more old school Rush. Geddy Lee's bass part for 'Anthem' from their second LP 'Fly By Night'. It's not exact as I repeated a section so a couple of fills are not entirely accurate but, if you want that kind of detail, buy Transcribe software and knock yourself out.

Anthen Rush - Bass.pdf

• Like 1

Interestingly, I knocked this one out in around 20 minutes because I knew it very well so was effectively writing it down in the same way that I am typing this. John Giblin's fretless bass ono the Brand X tune 'April'. It is all over the place in terms of time so, on a 4:4 stave, it's a tough read but it is really only 4 bars repeating itself. One of the most beautiful fretless bass features ever recorded.

April - John Giblin Brand X.pdf

• Like 1

Today's effort is Jimmy Johnson's bass solo on Allan Holdsworth's 'Panic Station' from his 1985 album 'Metal Fatigue'. The solo starts around the 2.31 mark and is a engaging little solo. Jimmy Johnson is an incredibly melodic soloist even when playing over Holdsworth's generally very intense compositions. If you haven't heard much Jimmy Johnson, check out the Wayne Johnson Trio albums Arrowhead, Grasshopper and Everybody Is Painting Pictures. 

Panic Station - Jimmy Johnson bass solo.pdf

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to add something about what I am doing with this thread.

I am a staunch advocate for the value of reading music and by that I mean dots not tab. It is not just about turning up at a gig and being able to play sessions without rehearsal (you can rarely do that even if you CAN read the dots). It is about

recording ideas (I have ideas and transcriptions I have written down from 30 years ago)

sharing compositions with others

studying bass lines and solos by other people

it takes you to places you may otherwise never go

it often shows you details in compositions and transcriptions that may be missed otherwise

it allows you to access study materials that would otherwise be unavailable to you

it has the potential to make you a better and more informed player

and, last of all, you might get some reading gigs.

My transcriptions are made available so people have something to use to help them improve their reading - not everything I transcribe has chords so studying the note/chord relationships is problematic. Also, chords symbols above the stave can make you lazy in terms of actually reading the notes. These transcriptions are prepared to allow people to practice READING.

I have said this elsewhere but I am learning how to read treble clef guitar music at the moment and it is making such a difference to my guitar playing and the insight I have into the music I love. I picked up an Astor Piazzolla violin part the other day and played it through without any mistakes. What a buzz! I sometimes read twenty pages of simple guitar tunes in one session or work through one of the easier Al DiMeola transcriptions in one sitting. I can play Ralph Towner tunes (badly, but there you are). It's a marvellous skill that I wish I had developed more early on. My bass clef reading is improving now I have a regular gig but I still get caught out at every gig/rehearsal - 5 sharps or flats and I am done for. The practicing is helping though and I really consider this as time well spent. For the younger guys out there, get this thing done as soon as you can and you will never regret it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am working on two Jeff Berlin transcriptions at the moment, The Abingdon Chasp from One of a Kind and Land's End from Gradually Going Tornado. Nearly finished the first and have miles to go on the second. I have two computers in two locations with the requisite software on for transcribing and I work on different charts at different times depending on circumstances. 

On 22/02/2020 at 08:38, Bilbo said:

Bloody hellfire! This was the toughest thing I have ever done. Jeff Berlin on 'Beelzebub' by Bruford from the 'Feels Good To Me' album.

Beelzebub - Jeff Berlin Bass Part.pdf 59.29 kB · 10 downloads

Christ! I remember that tune from way back. Quite a feat to transcribe, goodness knows how you’d play it. Well done. Nasty piece of music though, only saved by Allan Holdsworth’s customary brilliance :)

7 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Christ! I remember that tune from way back. Quite a feat to transcribe, goodness knows how you’d play it. Well done. Nasty piece of music though, only saved by Allan Holdsworth’s customary brilliance :)

You think that was hard? Try this sucker. Sample and Hold from the Feels Good To Me album. This took so slowing down to find the notes (25%). It is basically unplayable by mere mortals. The problem I have with a lot of these tunes is that, learnign to play the bass parts is fundamentally a waste of time because you will never find a drummer/percussionist/keyboard player/guitarist to play the other parts 😃 Interesting to see how the lines evolve though.

Sample And Hold Bass Part.pdf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this one on my PC. It is the bass/alto and piano part of the tine 'Barretto's Way' from the CD 'Panorama' by bass player Hans Glawischnig. The tune opens with an arco solo from the HG and then, at 0.45 point, he plays a 5:4 four ostinato over which the stunning melody evolves. The transcription is basically the head but it was this that attracted me and inspired me to transcribe all of the parts. I urge you to listen to the whole track not just the bit I transcribed because it breaks into a massive 5:4 Latin groove (montuno) later on (6:06). It is SOOO cool. The melody is repeated over the montuno but broken up and rephrased really creatively by the horn player (Miguel Zenon). Enjoy.

Barretto's Way - Glawishing.pdf

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

You think that was hard? Try this sucker. Sample and Hold from the Feels Good To Me album. This took so slowing down to find the notes (25%). It is basically unplayable by mere mortals. The problem I have with a lot of these tunes is that, learnign to play the bass parts is fundamentally a waste of time because you will never find a drummer/percussionist/keyboard player/guitarist to play the other parts 😃 Interesting to see how the lines evolve though.

Sample And Hold Bass Part.pdf 69.83 kB · 1 download

At least it’s mostly in 4 ;)

Another in my series of Jeff Berlin transcriptions. I was a huge JB fan when I started getting into the more advanced fusion bass players like Jaco, Percy Jones etc. I tried to learn what I could off the Bruford records available at the time but this predates the existence of technology that allowed you to slow things down so it was not as easy as it is now to write this stuff out. Now I have the kit to do this properly and can slow things down to 25% without changing pitch and write it out on charts that are clear and readable not written in pencil on bog roll. This one is 'Travels With Myself and Someone Else' from the Bruford album 'One Of A Kind'. There is a JB solo early on in the piece that is absolutely astonishing (2.19) and there is a half a bar of triplet 16ths that would never have been interpreted properly without Transcribe software. I would never have been able to pick this out in the old days :) 

Travels With Myself And Someone Else Bass Part.pdf

Edited by Bilbo

I remember many years ago hearing that it was important to learn solos by people who played other instruments to the bass. This was an early transcription I found written out in a lever arch file from way back. What we have here is a Wynton Marsalis head and trumpet solo on the tune 'New Orleans' from his album 'Marsalis Standard Time'. I have transcribed it into bass clef so it is not in the right range - otherwise it would not have fitted on our instrument. There is one passage where I could not hear it as it was too quick but it's not a deal breaker. I love what he does with the bar lines here and often use the same technique when soloing myself. particularly on fast tunes where it allows you to be interesting without being 'quick'.

Marsalis New Orleans.pdf

• Like 1

I was chatting to an old chum on Facebook and he reminded me of this old gem that I transcribed years ago. The transcription is long gone but I remember enjoying playing along with it so thought I would have a crack at it again. It is harder then I remember but, more to the point, the last time I did this was pre-computers and it would have involved the stop-start using a cassette player. I have no idea how I had the patience but I guess the world was a very different place then. Jaco Pastoroius's bass lines on Weather Report's 'Night Passage'. There are a couple of passages I have left blank; one is several bars of pedal A with Jaco fiddling about with roots and octaves, the other a passage where he is playing octave ostinatos and moving the notes by semitones - I just can't hear where the notes start and stop. 95% of it is there and it is a fun chart to read.

Night Passage Jaco Pastorius Bass.pdf

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

This was nothing more that mischief. I wondered how long it would take me to transcribe this. I was actually transcribing massive chunks of the tune as it was playing (it is endless pumping root notes that move up fourths and fifths so it is mostly easy to hear) and only a couple of passages that needed closer examination. I give you Steve Dawson's bass part to Saxon's 'Dallas 1 P.M.' of their album 'Strong Arm Of The Law'.

Dallas 1 PM Steve Dawson Bass.pdf

• Haha 1