Why become a member? ×

What Do You Really Bring To The Table

Bluewine

We've been auditioning guitarist recently to replace a founding band member.

Interesting how some guys show up unprepared and lack luster for a money making opportunity . And some guys show up prepared, professional, interested and with stand out style and abilities.

What do you think you bring to an audition and how you come across at an audition?

Blue

FB_IMG_1553608654273.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

I'm not sure what I bring or how I come across at auditions.I would hope I come across as experienced and prepared at the bare minimum.

I won't audition if I'm not prepared, I'll cancel first. I won't audition for a band if I know I'm not a good match for the band.

Blue

• Like 1

When I get to an audition I aim to:

• have done my homework on the band, the material, the gigs;
  • be honest with them about what I can or can't do, in terms of both playing and commitment; and
  • be the solution they are looking for, not another potential problem.
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

• be honest with them about what I can or can't do, in terms of both playing and commitment; and

Nice!

I like the solution approach. Bands that are auditioning have a problem and they're looking for a solution.

If you can get a " heads up" on what's going on with a band in terms of that problem your already ahead of the game.

Blue

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Ten years ago: 

- fully prepared and learned the songs; 
- enthusiastic;
- willing to bend over backwards to meet other people schedules;
- always on time; 
- always bring a Fender Precision 'coz that iz wot the PROs play';
- keen to play and explore as many genres as possible;
- always keen to come up with songwriting ideas, but equally happy to play exactly what is requested when required.

Now: 

- I have a car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Wait, how much are you guys making?! Too late for me to audition? 😂 

Thanks for reading my thread.

.I usually ask how much the job pays and how I'm paid after I've been offered the job.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

My last ‘audition’ went like this...

“Phil says you’re the best bass player he knows? Are you?”

’yeah, but Phil only knows 3 people in total...’

the guy laughed, and we did about 5 years together. Phil lasted 3 gigs - still friends with both.

Everything else I’ve done has been stuff I’ve started. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If its a band i definitely want to be in i will put more effort into learning the songs note for note and depending on the band when i meet them i will either play exactly what's on the song or i will put my own style on it. I tend to play quite aggressively or should i say with vigour. That can change how a song comes across.

Most times that will work at an audition as i generally play in some form of Rock whether it be classic, Prog, Funk / Blues rock or current band Glam Rock so that energetic approach while playing can change a song from being ok to the band really getting into the groove because it sounds more energetic.

I'm always punctual and i have my notes if required and a pen. 

I have everything i'll ever need for an audition with me. Leads replacement strings, batteries, spare leads, tuner etc.

I like to be flexible at auditions and if a band wants to change how a song sounds i'll happily go along with or make suggestions as required.

That and the fact i'm just a nice person and easy to get along with provided the band aren't simply time wasters.

Dave

I was about to say +1 to what Steve is bringing to the party but probably an uglier version, in my case, which does literally make everyone else look good. But he's just deleted his post! Lol! 

Guess I'll need to come up with something original then. Oh wait no need...I'm in a covers band.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Pretty much the same 

• Like 1

I generally won’t audition these days. Everyone local has seen me play and if they want me involved in their project, they can ask me and I will do it if I’m interested. If it was a bigger artist from outside of the area, then obviously that would be a different thing but that doesn't seem to happen unfortunately. I can’t remember the last time I auditioned anyone for one of my projects either – invitation only!

When I did do auditions, I generally did pretty well at getting gigs. I’m pretty good at busking, which always helps at auditions, even though I would obviously make the effort to learn any songs that they gave me. I’m big on listening to the drummer and trying to lock in right from the off and I have always got a good bass sound, both of which help as well. My main problem was always that I don’t have strong BVs, which has cost me a few decent gigs.

• Like 2

I can't really say much about auditions. The last time I passed one was in 1985. Since then I've done 3 more. I turned two of them down and the one I wanted turned me down. Bugger!

On the plus side, I have been gigging continuously through word of mouth, since 1985. I guess that means I'm better at gigs than auditions. I'm no expert but it seems to me that you'll stand a chance if your face fits, you can play what they asked you to learn and don't sound bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peteb said:

. . . . . . . . I don’t have strong BVs, which has cost me a few decent gigs.

Pete, your post reflects my experience. . . . . . I've also lost gigs because I don't sing. One guy told me he'd give me loads of work if I learnt to play double bass. I tried once, when I was 20. It wasn't pretty!!

I've lost gigs because I'm 6'3" overweight and ginger, and stuck out like a sore thumb against their backdrop of cool rock tight jeans and shades.  Shorta***es!  (I also refuse to wear stereotypical bass player hats).

I recently got asked to turn up to help audition a drummer for a new band because the bass player wasn't available for that night.  I was told it would be jamming 12 bars, but he started shouting out classic rock numbers at me that I'd heard plenty of times but never/rarely played.  It was seat of the pants stuff!  Shame I can't commit due to upcoming surgery - as they offered me the gig too!

• Like 1

I've only auditioned once for band, I made sure I knew the songs they wanted me to play and put myself across as a likeable, dependable guy.   Turned out I knew the songs better than the outgoing bassist so all was good and I was in.

I'm still in that band today, what do I bring to the table now ...

Well I seem to be the only one who understands how to use a damn PA/Mixer and what the flip EQ is for.

I usually have to lend someone a spare cable, battery, tuner, even a flipping guitar once at rehearsal because someone forgot to bring or has a broken one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peteb said:

I generally won’t audition these days. Everyone local has seen me play and if they want me involved in their project, they can ask me and I will do it if I’m interested. If it was a bigger artist from outside of the area, then obviously that would be a different thing but that doesn't seem to happen unfortunately. I can’t remember the last time I auditioned anyone for one of my projects either – invitation only!

When I did do auditions, I generally did pretty well at getting gigs. I’m pretty good at busking, which always helps at auditions, even though I would obviously make the effort to learn any songs that they gave me. I’m big on listening to the drummer and trying to lock in right from the off and I have always got a good bass sound, both of which help as well. My main problem was always that I don’t have strong BVs, which has cost me a few decent gigs.

Hi Pete,

Yeah I don't really like auditions. Ideally if a guy is in the right circles they get called for good projects. Unfortunately  that's not me.

As you know my band is in transition right now and we're not gigging as much. I have been asked to do some acoustic gigs and I've accepted them. The pay is actually better with better hours.

Daryl