Why become a member? ×

Is This Musicman Genuine?

Linus27

[quote name='bremen' post='351210' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:52 PM']'The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price.'[/quote]

MB1. :)
I was taking the Cow to Market! and i met this man, says he used to work in Sound Control when they did Custom jobs!
and do ya know what? Lads and lasses!...i traded cow for this Great Bargain........A Musicman Stingray!....Custom Job!...From the 70s!....... :huh:

Blimey That could have been expensive!
Greetings Mr Shonks!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Linus27' post='351521' date='Dec 11 2008, 10:04 AM']Has anyone contacted the other bidders in case he does offer it to them???[/quote]

I would but only the 'winner' has his identity revealed at the end of the auction.

Welcome Shonks! I was one of the mysterious strangers that warned you about the scam.

[quote name='Linus27' post='351521' date='Dec 11 2008, 10:04 AM']Has anyone contacted the other bidders in case he does offer it to them???[/quote]

Their details won't become available until he gives them the offer so I'll keep and eye on it but I think he has got the point that we won't let him scam anyone.

I really hope he answers my message.

"Pickups: Standard - Music Man® humbucking with Alnico magnets"

if Ernie Ball knew about this they'd issue a "cease and desist" order, as that blatantly isn't an MM-style pickup, let alone a genuine Musicman pickup.
it's a double-jazz humbucker with 16 small polepieces, rather than the 8 large polepieces on an MM.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Shonks' post='351253' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:31 PM']I just won this thing on ebay for £381.99

and now i think it's a fake - its a pre Ernie Ball logo - but the brigde is post ernie ball - the pup is definately wrong!!

I've just contacted the seller to confirm the bass is genuine - and i want some better pix before I part with any cash!!

I also asked for the serial number...lets see what happens!!.??

Shonks[/quote]

Welcome to BC Shonks. Good to have another pre-EB Stingray owner here.
Will you do us all a favour and leave the ebay seller negative feedback. It has been pretty much demonstrated above that he was not a naive guy who perhaps had a crap bass dumped on him without his knowledge, but a cynic who knew exactly what he was doing and that what he was selling was a fake. If buyers do not leave negative feedback, people like him get away with it and do it again and again. He cannot leave you neagtive as new ebay rules prohibit sellers leaving retaliatory negative feedback to buyers.
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='351770' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:59 PM']Welcome to BC Shonks. Good to have another pre-EB Stingray owner here.
Will you do us all a favour and leave the ebay seller negative feedback. It has been pretty much demonstrated above that he was not a naive guy who perhaps had a crap bass dumped on him without his knowledge, but a cynic who knew exactly what he was doing and that what he was selling was a fake. If buyers do not leave negative feedback, people like him get away with it and do it again and again. He cannot leave you neagtive as new ebay rules prohibit sellers leaving retaliatory negative feedback to buyers.
Chris[/quote]

Plus it might also warn-off the second highest bidder to whom he might offer a second chance offer

[quote name='Beedster' post='351770' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:59 PM']Welcome to BC Shonks. Good to have another pre-EB Stingray owner here.
Will you do us all a favour and leave the ebay seller negative feedback. It has been pretty much demonstrated above that he was not a naive guy who perhaps had a crap bass dumped on him without his knowledge, but a [size=4][b]cynic[/b][/size] who knew exactly what he was doing and that what he was selling was a fake. If buyers do not leave negative feedback, people like him get away with it and do it again and again. He cannot leave you neagtive as new ebay rules prohibit sellers leaving retaliatory negative feedback to buyers.
Chris[/quote]
I believe this is a typo. You did get 2 of the letters right though.
:)

[quote name='Beedster' post='351770' date='Dec 11 2008, 02:59 PM']Welcome to BC Shonks. Good to have another pre-EB Stingray owner here.
Chris[/quote]

Excellent suggestion Chris.

Why people are under the impression that outright fraud and theft should be forgiven is beyond me.

The fact this fella, even after being caught out and admitting to selling a fake, would still offer it to the current highest bidder at nearly 400 quid knowing full well its a fake just shows the guy is a slimey tosser trying to get what he can even after being exposed as a fraudster.

Hi Shonks,

I have that Arsenal record!

You going to sign it for me!?

Cheers,
Steve.

[quote name='Shonks' post='351289' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:59 PM']you can see some of my basses here: [url="http://steveshone.tripod.com/"]http://steveshone.tripod.com/[/url]

enjoy

Shonks[/quote]

[quote name='kevbass' post='351924' date='Dec 11 2008, 04:46 PM']The fact this fella, even after being caught out and admitting to selling a fake, would still offer it to the current highest bidder at nearly 400 quid knowing full well its a fake just shows the guy is a slimey tosser trying to get what he can even after being exposed as a fraudster.[/quote]

I'm not sure that the seller has tried to sell it to the next highest bidder yet... has he?

here are the messages I sent to the seller and the answers recieved...

Q1 [quote]Hi

How old is the bass and do you have pictures of the back and a good close up of the bridge?

Many thanks

Sean[/quote]

A1 [quote]It is a few years old but nothing bad.
I dont, Why do you need it?
Ill get some taken if you need them.

- maxehooperjrsq[/quote]

Q2 [quote]The older the better for me :-D I'm looking for a 70s one if possible.

I'd quite like to see the bridge close up to see which design it is, there were a couple of different ones. Not that any one is better just different.

really cool if you could sort out a pic from behind to so I can see the battery compartment cover and neck joint. Is it 3, 4 or 6 bolt on the neck joint?

Many thanks

Sean[/quote]

A2 [quote]Yes, I can see what you mean. I have a 1972 Fender bass.

It has a 4bolt one which is connected through the metal plate. It has the battery fited in through the electronics (It was an already customised one that was in Sound Control at the time) It seemed easier and nicer so I took it.

- maxehooperjrsq[/quote]

Vague to say the least. And what on earth is all that crap about Sound Control and the battery compartment about!?

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='351995' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:07 PM']Vague to say the least. And what on earth is all that crap about Sound Control and the battery compartment about!?[/quote]

Well, seen as he bought it for £51 from another ebay user he knows what he's telling you is bullshit.

He never "accidently" bought a fake, he's just being a c***.

I had 2 messages from the original seller.

"Hi there yes i sold this bass to this guy but it is not a real musicman bass it is a cheap copy. If you want to speak send me your number and i will talk to you. Kind regards Allison"

"I am disgusted that this guy has sold this bass for that amount of money. Do you know the person who has bought the bass? Or have you contacted them? When I sold him the bass if it had have been a real MM bass I would not have sold it for £51. It is nothing like a real MM as it doesn't have a MM pickup on, it is not active and the body is also made of plywood. He has stated that it is a real MM which is a complete lie. He has used official MM descriptions to list this bass. I feel very sorry for the person who bought the as he or she has been riped off. Hopefully they have not paid for the bass as yet. Please would you contact me back.
Regards Allison"

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='352006' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:20 PM']I had 2 messages from the original seller.

"Hi there yes i sold this bass to this guy but it is not a real musicman bass it is a cheap copy. If you want to speak send me your number and i will talk to you. Kind regards Allison"

"I am disgusted that this guy has sold this bass for that amount of money. Do you know the person who has bought the bass? Or have you contacted them? When I sold him the bass if it had have been a real MM bass I would not have sold it for £51. It is nothing like a real MM as it doesn't have a MM pickup on, it is not active and the body is also made of plywood. He has stated that it is a real MM which is a complete lie. He has used official MM descriptions to list this bass. I feel very sorry for the person who bought the as he or she has been riped off. Hopefully they have not paid for the bass as yet. Please would you contact me back.
Regards Allison"[/quote]

Excellent work waynepunkdude. Is Allison a member here now? Point her in this direction. This chap has really annoyed me now as he blatently tried to rip somebody off. What a tosser. Woyuld love him to get some payback.

I am checcking Ebay every now and again to see if he has offered it to the next bidder in the line. Nothing so far. Also keeping an eye out to see if he re-lists it. We could of course have some fun with the guy and say we saw the auction ended early and does he have any other Musicman basses for sale and see what he says back :):)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='352014' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:29 PM']Excellent work waynepunkdude. Is Allison a member here now? Point her in this direction. This chap has really annoyed me now as he blatently tried to rip somebody off. What a tosser. Woyuld love him to get some payback.

I am checcking Ebay every now and again to see if he has offered it to the next bidder in the line. Nothing so far. Also keeping an eye out to see if he re-lists it. We could of course have some fun with the guy and say we saw the auction ended early and does he have any other Musicman basses for sale and see what he says back :):)[/quote]

Yep she has been pointed in this direction.

Haha if it gets relisted I might start 2 new accounts and bid it right up so he gets huge fees.

By the way everyone, in case anyone is interested, I also have a genuine Musicman String Ray for sale. It was custom made just for me because I asked them really nicely and they said they would only do this for me as I am special. I also whispered the magic password, "Sound Control" which means I only had to pay the special £51 for it. Its made from a special wood that I hand picked which is called plastic. You can only get it in places like China so it's really rare. I also made sure that it was active but did not require a battery so to do away with the silly battery cover. The pickups are my own design that can't be found anywhere else and Ernie Ball loves them. I call them the "Sound Control Specials". So again, these pickups are really rare. The headstock is also special as I insisted that Ernie Ball did away with any information on the back of it. All other Musicman basses have this so this makes mine even more rare. Finally the bridge. this is so rare that I can't actually talk about it. Either way, I think your love this genuine String Ray bass thats really old and vintage yet also not that old and is pretty new. I have attached a photo but if you want anymore then I'll find an excuse not to post them. I can't be fairer than that. I'll start the bidding at £51.

:) :huh: :huh: :huh: