Why become a member? ×

Is This Musicman Genuine?

Linus27

I just won this thing on ebay for £381.99

and now i think it's a fake - its a pre Ernie Ball logo - but the brigde is post ernie ball - the pup is definately wrong!!

I've just contacted the seller to confirm the bass is genuine - and i want some better pix before I part with any cash!!

I also asked for the serial number...lets see what happens!!.??

Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' post='351253' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:31 PM']I just won this thing on ebay for £381.99

and now i think it's a fake - its a pre Ernie Ball logo - but the brigde is post ernie ball - the pup is definately wrong!!

I've just contacted the seller to confirm the bass is genuine - and i want some better pix before I part with any cash!!

Shonks[/quote]
glad you'v found this thread mate, i can confirm from pictures alone it is most certainly a fake, and by the looks o things absolutly no part of it is genuine stingray. the only thing that we cant tell at the moment is whether or not there is a real musicman preamp in there, but lets be honest, there wont be. Don't pay and report to ebay if he gives you any problems :)

Khide is my ebay name btw :huh:

[quote name='Shonks' post='351253' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:31 PM']I just won this thing on ebay for £381.99

Shonks[/quote]
Hi mate, glad you came here, i'm the guy that sent you the link.

The bridge is definitely not ernie ball at all.
[url="http://www.meibergen.nl/aanbiedingen/images/OLP%20MM%202%20Bass.jpg"]Here[/url]'s a better look at one of those bridges, that's what's on that fake you bidded on.

here's a pre EB bridge

Here's a newer bridge, as you can see, not the same, the first is the type they will use on cheap copies, jay turser, OLP etc

[quote name='Shonks' post='351257' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:33 PM']thanks for your messages buy the way!!!

cool lot of geezers..CHEERS![/quote]

Hi Shonks, great to see you made it here. I am Linus27 on here and first alerted this clever lot to what i thought was a fake. I am 27Renault who also contacted you on Ebay. Really pleased you have not parted with your money. As you can see from the above comments, it sure is a fake.

[quote name='Linus27' post='351270' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:38 PM']Hi Shonks, great to see you made it here. I am Linus27 on here and first alerted this clever lot to what i thought was a fake. I am 27Renault who also contacted you on Ebay. Really pleased you have not parted with your money. As you can see from the above comments, it sure is a fake.[/quote]

I bet you got a real boost from this, good spot.

Shonks[/quote]
Hi,

I was bluetakamine69 who also contacted you. Hold onto your cash.

I'm very up on the old stingray guys - already got a couple.

I never really looked carefully at the pix, except I realised it was a pre ernie ball, so I put a £400 bid never expecting to win anyway.,

It wasn't due to finish for a couple of days, so you can imagine my surprise when I just found it ended early in my favour.
accompanied with about half a dozen emails from you guys warning me not to buy.

Cheers
Merry Xmas
I'll tell where to stick the fake piece of sh!!t
Thanks again!!

Shonks.......X

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='351273' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:42 PM']I bet you got a real boost from this, good spot.[/quote]

Well, I am just happy that we caught a fraudster. There are enough tossers out there trying to rip inocent people off. We should all be happy that we did this. The only thing that caught my eye was the headstock looked the wrong shape, which was a little geeky of me. Also the sticker clearly looked wrong, the top horn looked a bit pointy and the body looked a bit thin. It was the other guys who noticed the more technical details like the bridge and pickups. So a great team effect with a great result.

[quote name='Shonks' post='351277' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:47 PM']I'm very up on the old stingray guys - already got a couple.

I never really looked carefully at the pix, except I realised it was a pre ernie ball, so I put a £400 bid never expecting to win anyway.,

It wasn't due to finish for a couple of days, so you can imagine my surprise when I just found it ended early in my favour.
accompanied with about half a dozen emails from you guys warning me not to buy.

Cheers
Merry Xmas
I'll tell where to stick the fake piece of sh!!t
Thanks again!!

Shonks.......X[/quote]
Ah fair enough!
Well i hope you stick around and grace us with some photos of your collection maybe?

[quote name='Linus27' post='351279' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:51 PM']Well, I am just happy that we caught a fraudster. There are enough tossers out there trying to rip inocent people off. We should all be happy that we did this. The only thing that caught my eye was the headstock looked the wrong shape, which was a little geeky of me. Also the sticker clearly looked wrong, the top horn looked a bit pointy and the body looked a bit thin. It was the other guys who noticed the more technical details like the bridge and pickups. So a great team effect with a great result.[/quote]

Indeed fake pints all round.

And +1 on BB's post I wanna see some pre EB Stingrays.

It's interesting what responses you get from Google searches.

For example, if I search on maxehooperjrsq , I get 2 pages of hits [url="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=maxehooperjrsq&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq="]Google hits for maxehooperjrsq[/url]

Interestingly enough, on the 2nd page, there's a reference to a Musicman Style Bass Guitar, auction number #140241787683, bought from allison130265 on 19 July 2008 for £51. And sure enough, that number matches feedback on maxehooperjrsq history, and also on allison130265.

[url="http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=allison130265&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&page=2"]Feedback for allison130265[/url]

[url="http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=maxehooperjrsq&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true"]Feedback for maxehooperjrsq[/url]

I'm sure a bit more digging will find a cached version of the auction somewhere.

Nice guy. :)

Edited by bassaussie