Why become a member? ×

Wedding/Function Band PA Help

bassmansam

Hi

I run a 5 piece wedding band and perform at various weddings, functions parties etc between 80-150 people. Potentially up to 300.

Genre of music is motown, Soul, Pop, Rock etc. 

2 vocals, guitar, bass, drums and backing tracks for keys, brass, synth go through FOH. 

We already own the behringer xr18 desk, 3 x alto monitors and 1 x alto ts215s sub. We're now looking for 2 x powered speakers to upgrade from our current Alto ones as they're not putting out enough power. 

I've been looking at the EV ETX-12p. Does anyone have experience with these speakers or could recommend something within a similar price bracket?  From what I've researched it seems 12' tops are the way to go as oppose to 15' Thanks 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/ev_etx_12p.htm?o=8&search=1554308252

Edited by samcrabtree00

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Pair of RCF 735a , leave the sub at home.

Oh....Well done Pete, that's just killed the thread. Nothing more to see here, move along please! 

On a serious note, this is the right answer. Awesome cabs and no need to the sub. The RCF 745a is even better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Pair of RCF 735a , leave the sub at home.

Would you say the same for a pair of RCF 732A ?

I ask this because I'm considering those for my pub/club covers band and I'd like to buy a couple of monitors (any advice on monitors?) instead of a sub.

Hopefully this is on-topic and relevant to the OPs question.

Frank.

8 hours ago, mr zed said:

Oh....Well done Pete, that's just killed the thread. Nothing more to see here, move along please! 

On a serious note, this is the right answer. Awesome cabs and no need to the sub. The RCF 745a is even better!

Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to look into thr RCFs. How big of a crowd have they handled on their own for you? 

Hi Sam, I quite like the EV's but the RCF's sound better and the 12" ART732's are lighter and cheaper so that's a no brainer. Having the 735's will mean for smaller gigs you can leave the subs behind and they are also lighter and cheaper than the EV's. The only other things I would look at in that price bracket are the QSC K series but the RCF's are currently the ones to beat.

The only other thing to consider for a function band is something like the LD systems Curve or a similar line source system. They probably don't give any advantage in sound quality but the coverage is more even and they are quicker to set up and knock down. They look very professional and that is also a factor in your sort of market https://www.ld-systems.com/en/complete-pa-systems/?force_sid=22osc7lca2em2tbefnnbdg7875lsqfk2sgj210as4k9bnhe28hrig72kgocc7g6907sofe0uq9h0bqgov2eugb5c10fo8fn7ko2di51

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, machinehead said:

Would you say the same for a pair of RCF 732A ?

I ask this because I'm considering those for my pub/club covers band and I'd like to buy a couple of monitors (any advice on monitors?) instead of a sub.

Hopefully this is on-topic and relevant to the OPs question.

Frank.

For something like a marquee or large pub you'd still need a sub if you're putting the whole band through them. 

The 735 and 745 are a different animal really. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to look into thr RCFs. How big of a crowd have they handled on their own for you? 

We've used them for large function rooms /social clubs and wedding marquees, a piece of advice a mate gave me was that for weddings and functions you only need the dance floor area at full volume, great auntie Ethel sat at the back isn't that bothered about heft! 

Obviously a gig watching your favourite band that you've paid £100 to see you want to hear just as well anywhere in the venue. 

All that said I'd happily put my 735s against your alto sub and any 12s as tops, take into account you could use your sub with the RCF tops and you'll have a killer pa with only three boxes. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

We've used them for large function rooms /social clubs and wedding marquees, a piece of advice a mate gave me was that for weddings and functions you only need the dance floor area at full volume, great auntie Ethel sat at the back isn't that bothered about heft! 

Obviously a gig watching your favourite band that you've paid £100 to see you want to hear just as well anywhere in the venue. 

Best piece of advice you'll get today. Absolutely spot on @stingrayPete1977 and something largely ignored by a lot of bands.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

The only other thing to consider for a function band is something like the LD systems Curve or a similar line source system. They probably don't give any advantage in sound quality but the coverage is more even and they are quicker to set up and knock down. They look very professional and that is also a factor in your sort of market https://www.ld-systems.com/en/complete-pa-systems/?force_sid=22osc7lca2em2tbefnnbdg7875lsqfk2sgj210as4k9bnhe28hrig72kgocc7g6907sofe0uq9h0bqgov2eugb5c10fo8fn7ko2di51

We've been using an LD Maui 5 system for about 3 years now and it has never been lacking. It's actually "badged" Fender Expo, (and cheaper that than LD version as some of the unnecessary bells and whistles were removed". When our singer bought one for his solo work and said how good they were, we put the whole band through just 1 of them. That was 4 Vox, Keys, Drums and it filled a function room. Result being I bought a 2nd one next day.

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

All that said I'd happily put my 735s against your alto sub and any 12s as tops, take into account you could use your sub with the RCF tops and you'll have a killer pa with only three boxes. 

Thanks. Is there much in it between the 735 and 745s?

5 hours ago, BassBunny said:

We've been using an LD Maui 5 system for about 3 years now and it has never been lacking. It's actually "badged" Fender Expo, (and cheaper that than LD version as some of the unnecessary bells and whistles were removed". When our singer bought one for his solo work and said how good they were, we put the whole band through just 1 of them. That was 4 Vox, Keys, Drums and it filled a function room. Result being I bought a 2nd one next day.

I can't see how anything is easier to set up than a pair of RCF tops! 

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

So far I've had a good experience with the Maui 5 too, our singer bought one for his solo act and immediately went out to buy a second. We used it at a rehearsal and had planned to use it at the next gig, until said singer fell out with the drummer. End of that band. The Curve looks like it will go just a bit louder and is within the sort of budget Sam is imagining I think. I've heard the Markbass version of this sort of PA and that is excellent too, no idea what sort of price. the Evox 8 looks like RCF's version with the Evox12 being the louder version again I'd imagine they'd be pretty good but I've not heard the Evox.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

So far I've had a good experience with the Maui 5 too, our singer bought one for his solo act and immediately went out to buy a second. We used it at a rehearsal and had planned to use it at the next gig, until said singer fell out with the drummer. End of that band. The Curve looks like it will go just a bit louder and is within the sort of budget Sam is imagining I think. I've heard the Markbass version of this sort of PA and that is excellent too, no idea what sort of price. the Evox 8 looks like RCF's version with the Evox12 being the louder version again I'd imagine they'd be pretty good but I've not heard the Evox.

Our vocalist has now bought an Evox 8 for his Solo/duo work, leaving the Maui's to the band. The Evox is seriously loud.

• Like 1

I made the jump from 2 rcf heads and Sub to the 745 about 6 months ago. Aside from the obvious of less weight to carry and set up time. The clarity and depth are really good. we play venues between 150-300 and they do the job. We get so many compliments about the consistency and level of sound.  The bass is not lost at all

• Like 2