Why become a member? ×

Three Piece Bands

stewblack

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Why does the guitarist leaving mean you can't play songs that were recorded with a guitarist? In my bands we play songs that had brass sections and orchestras on the original recording.!

You'll always have to ditch some songs when a key member leaves, but just adapt the set with the keys taking over the heavy lifting. He will play different lines and the dynamic will change but you can chose any songs that you can play. Do them your way and make them your own.

46 minutes ago, casapete said:

Totally agree. I think it depends on the audience - if it's a 'listening' environment then anything goes with arrangements. I love to hear a new spin on a great song played by people who treat it with respect. However, if it's a pis*sed audience at a wedding or in a pub, they'll just want to hear the songs as they know them so they can 'dance' or whatever.

Thanks chaps. We adapted some songs to re-distribute what the guitar did elsewhere, eg we play Dee Doo Doo Doo by The Police and the bass does the guitar part in the outro. Others we thought would work (Easy by The Commodores) fell down because the guitar solo was, in our view, too integral to the song. 

Chris - there is a dialogue of sorts in the band just now that reflects your view about putting songs through a "treatment" or whether we just find songs that were recorded on bass/drums/keys. I suspect we would be playing a lot of Ben Folds and little else though, so it'll likely come down to a mixture of the two approaches. Casapete has a good point about the audiences though - this is primarily a drunken pub audience in Glasgow!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hairyhaw said:

Timing of this thread is good for me. One of my bands parted ways with the lead guitarist recently and we are carrying on as a three, but the setup (bass/vox, drums, keys/vox) means we are scratching our heads a bit for covers that dont feature guitar at all! Ben Folds immediatly came to my mind (and somebody mentioned them further up) but I've been struggling to think of other more well known ones.

Keane?

(/runs for cover)

• Haha 1

Quick note to those who are troubled by this thread. I know we could cover any song with a trio, I work with a singer who does Bohemian Rhapsody on her own for example. 

Covering songs only by other three piece bands is just a gimmick. A bit of a fun way to choose a set. Nothing more. 

I hoped Basschatters would come up with interesting ideas and have fun doing so. This has happened. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DrBike said:

Semisonic - great band, but somehow not as famous as they should have been

Eels - Were certainly a trio in the "Beautiful Freak" era

Good shout - about Eels - I saw them when they toured that album and the bass player had an immense sound.

On 04/04/2019 at 13:00, hairyhaw said:

Thanks chaps. We adapted some songs to re-distribute what the guitar did elsewhere, eg we play Dee Doo Doo Doo by The Police and the bass does the guitar part in the outro. Others we thought would work (Easy by The Commodores) fell down because the guitar solo was, in our view, too integral to the song.

We used to do Hi Ho Silver Lining (cheesy!) and the keyboard player did the solo 🙂

More suggestions: Green Day, Cream, Grand Funk Railroad, Blink 182.

Come to think of it I'd love to be in a band that did Cream and Grand Funk...

• Like 1