Why become a member? ×

Name and shame setlist howlers.

Nicko

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Yep. . . . plus Have You Ever Seen The Rain.

Oh dear, learnt that for the list I'm working on now along with Fortunate Son. At least it has a few different bits.

<edit> strange, it does seem Creedence are better known now than they were back in the 70s/80s!

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

Many years ago... when my band was just starting out, we added 'new wave' style versions of Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney Spears) & Wonderful Tonight (Clapton) to pad out the set list.

Gulp :/

May God forgive me for my sins...

6 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Many years ago... when my band was just starting out, we added 'new wave' style versions of Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney Spears) & Wonderful Tonight (Clapton) to pad out the set list.

Many years?? Miss Spears wasn't born very long ago... 🙄

Back in my day this was all fields, etc etc. ☹️ 😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

One of my son's mates does "Hit Me..." as a party piece (he's a great front man anyway, he has that "x" factor that makes people just want to watch him), just him and an acoustic guitar and it's great. He really pulls it off with style. Sometimes it's not what you do, it's the way that you do it.........oh God, here comes Bananarama.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

Sometimes it's not what you do, it's the way that you do it.........oh God, here comes Bananarama.

Dead right! :)

By-the-bye, Ricky 4000 often does Bananarama covers in his set. He's too shy to post it here though. :D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Dead right! :)

By-the-bye, Ricky 4000 often does Bananarama covers in his set. He's too shy to post it here though. :D

My lips are sealed, mate. 😀

edit: Oh yeah, that was Fun Boy Three. Same thing though. My version sounds more like the bananas.

edit edit: I meant The Go-Gos.

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Psycho Killer was, I think, one of the first songs I rehearsed when I joined the band and was usually our favourite opener. Back in those days with no internet and little budget for tab books interpretation of bass lines was pretty loose - I don't think I heard the originals of several songs on the list before I was playing them. Oddly no one ever said 'that's not the right bassline' even when they were completely made up!

I don't recall playing 'Grip' or 'money for Nothing' and looking at the ticks this might have been the list I was given when I joined and the ticks are the ones we had sorted at some point, it looks a bit long even for a double set - but we definitely did all the ones 'below the line'.

I don't think it was me who chose the Strangler songs, probably Rob the keyboard player. At the time I had probably seen the Stranglers more times than any band other than Hawkwind!

It's funny, I was idly listening to everything ever done by Tom Tom Club (as you do), and came across this badly rehearsed version of the Talking Heads classic:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It's funny, I was idly listening to everything ever done by Tom Tom Club (as you do), and came across this badly rehearsed version of the Talking Heads classic:

You'd think they would get in someone familiar with the song 🤣

Actually its chaotic, but they enjoy it and so does the audience, which is what matters!

• Like 2

We do are you going my way, but we aren't a rock band. Crowd love it, I quite like it as the bass does something in the middle at least.

Unlike sex on fire which I hate with a passion almost as much as my hatred for,  'get knocked down'. Unfortunately the crowd love both of those, so there isn't really much of an argument about it.

There are a few slow blues one which we sadly can't drop. On the plus side at least it gives the crowd a chance to go to for a fosters and a beer.

We do mustang sally, which is interesting as it is supposed to be one of those songs that everyone plays, but I had never been in a group that did it (unlike teenage kicks and all that sort of stuff). I probably should hate it but I really don't, and although we stopped doing it for a while, people complained so it came back.

On 03/04/2019 at 10:47, Nicko said:

If you're going to do AC/DC why oh why would you a choose this?  That said I'm a bit of a fa of their earlier stuff so OK.

Are you Gonna Go My Way is just one of those songs that guitarists convince themselves that people want to hear - I spent months trying to convince a former band to ditch it mainy because its so mind numbingly dull to play and IME isn't that popular with the crowd.

Why oh why oh why would a band want to do tunes that are the best known and loved songs by various artists to a crowd who want to hear covers of the best known and loved songs by various artists? What a head scratcher! Can't fathom it at all...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Why oh why oh why would a band want to do tunes that are the best known and loved songs by various artists to a crowd who want to hear covers of the best known and loved songs by various artists? What a head scratcher! Can't fathom it at all...

I think it is a myth that most audiences don't want to hear new material - certainly outside of the birthsdays/weddings/ etc.

I've yet to meet someone from a covers band that doesn't say 'we slipped in a couple of our own songs and they went down surprisingly well'.

Both the 'originals' bands I was in went down at least as well as the covers band I was in too.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

. . . . . .  Slightly traumatised to see Stand by Me on the agenda...

This is the last song of the night for one band I play with. Bass starts and it turns into a big sing-along. A great song and sends everyone home happy.

• Like 2

"The bass is almost inaudible in the original"

Err, it's as clear as daylight to me. For the first umpteen bars it's just the bass, a shaker, and the vocal! Even with the whole string section it's still up front and audible. Simple enough but I love playing it. It's a feel thing......

58 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

"The bass is almost inaudible in the original"

Err, it's as clear as daylight to me. For the first umpteen bars it's just the bass, a shaker, and the vocal! Even with the whole string section it's still up front and audible. Simple enough but I love playing it. It's a feel thing......

OK, I'll go with 'the bass is very quiet'... certainly the lowest part of the mix, but oddly it's the part everyone remembers.