Why become a member? ×

Name and shame setlist howlers.

Nicko

I've also discovered that the ones I enjoy listening to can often be the ones I don't enjoy playing - eg Le Freak.

That should be my song as a bass player but I find it incredibly dull to play, even the bass solo bit later on

There will always be songs that you don't like within a band unless you are the one that decides the set. I enjoy playing Crazy In Love and Uptown Funk but can't stand listening to either one of them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I've also discovered that the ones I enjoy listening to can often be the ones I don't enjoy playing - eg Le Freak.

That should be my song as a bass player but I find it incredibly dull to play, even the bass solo bit later on

There will always be songs that you don't like within a band unless you are the one that decides the set. I enjoy playing Crazy In Love and Uptown Funk but can't stand listening to either one of them.

I find this too. 

One of the singers of the band I play with favours 80's pop so we always have a few of her songs in a set list.  Nothing I'd considering listening to by choice, but damn her choices have the most fun bass lines to play : especially compared to SO69, You Really Got Me, Teenage Kicks, bad moon rising etc etc

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Two words: Mustang. Sally.

Bands hate it. But punters bless 'em, they go mental for it. 

We have Love Shack in the set list. It bores me silly, but again the punters are always up and dancing their botties off to it. So I swallow my pride, think happy thoughts, and play those 5 notes over and over again because we're giving 'em what they want. :D

I'll see your five notes and raise you Uptown Top Ranking.

4 notes. 😃

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Did they also ask you to slag off their setlist on an internet forum? If you don't want to do it, don't do it let someone else dep for them.

A guy dep'd for me when I was ill (and he knew how ill I was.....) and then moaned about playing in a blues band  on Facebook as he apparently despises the genre. Needless to say despite being a good player he went down in my estimation to the bottom of the pile. Or even underneath it. It's just bad manners if nothing else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phil.c60 said:

A guy dep'd for me when I was ill (and he knew how ill I was.....) and then moaned about playing in a blues band  on Facebook as he apparently despises the genre. Needless to say despite being a good player he went down in my estimation to the bottom of the pile. Or even underneath it. It's just bad manners if nothing else.

Mixed feelings about that. If someone said to me 'to be honest I don't like the music you play, but I'll help you out' I wouldn't be upset!

If they moaned publicly in a way that identified the band it would be rather unkind.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicko said:

OMFG, look for a short rope and a long drop

Actually, not only would that set list work then but to the right crowd would go down well now. Are you sure you want to do covers and get paid to do it?

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Some cringy choices here, from '87'88 🙂

1041767841_DrasticAction003.thumb.jpg.536516db53aa9077413ea676a06562c3.jpg

I would suggest that this list is not way different to some cover band's lists NOW !

- easy to laugh, but there again if you're asked to do a gig for someones 60th birthday then this list (with a few exceptions) might still be spot on, and exactly what the punters would want..

Edited by musicbassman
omission
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Although it never got into the set list, the vocalist in the covers band did suggest "Youm sex am on foire". With a lineup of acoustic guitar/vox, keyboards, percussion, and bass, that was just never going to fly, especially as the vocalist didn't actually know the song and didn't want to listen to it in case it gave him some preconceptions, or summat. We had a go at it at a couple of rehearsals and it was every bit as bad as I expected, so it got ditched. It wasn't as if we needed any more songs to get p1ssed-up revellers dancing anyway.

PS. To put this in context, we play mostly 80s music, including a fair quantity of reggae and ska.

Edited by tauzero

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'm intrigued about who chose Psycho Killer and the 3 Stranglers songs in the set? 😎

Pshcho Killer was, I think, one of the first songs I rehearsed when I joined the band and was usually our favourite opener. Back in those days with no internet and little budget for tab books interpretation of bass lines was pretty loose - I don't think I heard the originals of several songs on the list before I was playing them. Oddly no one ever said 'that's not the right bassline' even when they were completely made up!

I don't recall playing 'Grip' or 'money for Nothing' and looking at the ticks this might have been the list I was given when I joined and the ticks are the ones we had sorted at some point, it looks a bit long even for a double set - but we definitely did all the ones 'below the line'.

I don't think it was me who chose the Strangler songs, probably Rob the keyboard player. At the time I had probably seen the Stranglers more times than any band other than Hawkwind!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KevB said:

Actually, not only would that set list work then but to the right crowd would go down well now. Are you sure you want to do covers and get paid to do it?

Yes it would, it looks quite similar to the first set I ever played as a bass player just over 10 years ago to on a construction camp including a bunch of redneck oil workers.  It was unpaid as it goes, but free booze.  I enjoyed about half the setlist but the band was the only think that kept me sane living in the middle of a desert, working 60 hour weeks for 8 weeks at a time for 18 months.

BTW I dont necessarily want to get paid for doing covers - I do it because I like it.

5 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I would suggest that this list is not way different to some cover band's lists NOW !

I wasn't going to mention it. . . sadly, this list bears a resemblance to the joint selections of a band I played with last week and one I'm with on Saturday!!

They are all good pro and ex-pro players which alleviates most of the "tiredness" in the material.

I never thought I'd have to be learning Creedence songs at my age!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

Love the Blues....I still kick myself because many moon's ago I had chance to play Bass for a top local Blues Trio but wasn't overly confident as at the time i'd not been playing long and I was speaking to the guitarist/singer and I asked for a set list so I could learn some songs for an audition....his reply was "can you play a 12 bar".....I said yes and he replied come down for a jam (which I should of) but my confidence got the better and I declined....wish I had of gone now and just blagged it.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Mixed feelings about that. If someone said to me 'to be honest I don't like the music you play, but I'll help you out' I wouldn't be upset!

If they moaned publicly in a way that identified the band it would be rather unkind.

To the first part: no he didn't. To the second part: Yes he did. It was quite short notice and he did help us out of a spot which was great but my general point is that you should respect the  band that you are dep'ing for and keep your opinion to yourself. That's just good manners. Anyhoo, this is a bit "off topic" so I'll refrain from further comment as hijacking the thread is also abit rude!

• Like 2