Why become a member? ×

Guitarist with broken wrist.

leschirons

Our man fell off his bike it seems and now in plaster for three weeks + physio. Season just about starting here so bit of a blow really. Luckily for clients and venues, singer's other band can cover the next 5 or 6 gigs although their setlist is a lot less "party" than ours. Can't really get a dep in either as no time for them to get to grips with our set and although I hate to admit it, he's also pretty irreplaceable😆

Ah well, at least i'll be able to get some serious upright practice in.

19 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Depending on the break he'll be doing well to gig this summer Imo, mine has never been right since :(

Really hope that's not the case Pete. We have about 30 booked this summer and quite a few are private functions that the singer's other band really won't suit.

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Does he play a lot of lead stuff? 

Lead solos? Probably only on about 25% of numbers and then nothing long. We're (instrument wise) a 3 piece so he spends most of his time playing chords be they strummed or arpeggio as he's filling our sound out. I'd say his job is more similar to the Edge or Andy Summers rather than a lead guitarist.

I'll speak to him tonight and find out how bad the actual injury is.

• Like 1

I thought the topic title was going to be 'Guitarist with broken wrist switches to bass as it's easier to play'

Edited by MoJo
typo error

Make sure he gets physio as soon in the process as possible and if they offer an operation take it. Also for a musician, they should be setting it at an angle which will give him enough movement to be able to play, even if he loses quite a bit of motion.

My wife broke her wrist 18 months ago and it still isn't and won't ever be right 😞 after a month or so they said 'this really should have been operated on straight away'...

She'll never play the piano again (not that she could before...)

• 1 month later...

Update.

Did our first gig last night with our man just 6 days out of plaster. Have to say, he was a hero. Played really well considering some discomfort, mainly from lack of use.  Personally,  I was pushing to postpone his first gig but, he wanted to get back into it. Luckily, I had a new Dunlop wrist support in the car which I gave him. Seemed to help a lot and by the end of the gig, he was absolutely fine. Just hoping this won't set him back though. We've another tonight and he's playing with his other band tomorrow. He's certainly no snowflake.😂

• Like 2