Why become a member? ×

Best online Bass lessons - SBL, Talking Bass?

Chrisbassboy5

Why don’t you take the SBL free trial and see what you think yourself. The free content doesn’t really reflect the style of the paid content (as you’d expect).

Other teachers are available.

Si

• Like 2

Also a big fan of both SBL and Talking Bass....and you can get a lot from both for nothing. 

If the SBL free trial is as good as Si suggests, it's going to be money well spent. 😉😉

Before discovering the two above I used to visit Marlowe DK's site quite a bit...some very useful free lessons on there too.

Edited by TheGreek

⁷With SBL you get what you pay for.

The free stuff can be interesting but the newer YouTube content is much less educational and more around promoting the SBL brand and driving people to paid content, I.e the academy or the newer stand alone courses.

I'm a paid up SBL academy member, I'd recommend the free trial to see what your think.  The website has been updated significantly over the past 12 months, content is much easier to find and filter to what is of interest / focus.   The lessons are direct and there are a variety of course creators, not just Scott.  I think the quality of material is pretty good.

I've just watched the video @devinebassshot in response to a recent thread on here, there's some good information in there about the academy and why his YT content has gone the way it has.  It's an interesting watch.

I've tried content from other Online educators and I tend to not find them as engaging as Scott so I always end up back at the SBL - but I haven't tried their paid content so it's probably not a fair comparison.  I should check out Talkingbass more thoroughly.

• Like 2

I like Talking Bass. Purely because Mark is a straight, no bull, down to business teacher. I find Scott really grating. I don't deny he's probably a great teacher, but I can't stand all the fluff and filler. It's too much about him. 

I used to use Justinguitar when I was learning to play the octave higher thing with too many strings. He's a superb teacher and extremely likeable. It's a shame he doesn't cover bass. 

21 hours ago, Coilte said:

Not sure how much of his material is free, but IMO Joe Hubbard's lessons are excellent. 

https://www.joehubbardbass.com

I like Joe he's probably a bit advanced for me but I have picked up some useful tips.....Arianne Capp is also good but there's so many good online resources out there I have picked up lots of bits n pieces just browse them all and take in what you can.

• Like 1

When not muddling through "learning" my band's original songs, and being "lectured" by my band leader on how to play bass, I like:

Since I had guitar lessons as a kid, and a personal tutor last year, I haven't felt the need to sign up for any paid content yet, but I may go this way if I decide I have time for more meaningful guidance than "It's C, G, A, woman!"

• Like 2

Because I'm basically lazy, I'm hoping that someone will invent some Joe 90 style glasses that give me the brain patterns and ability of any chosen bass player, saving me having to learn or practice anything

38 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Jim Stinnett's Real Bass lessons are worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTLM0C5Acp-0xi4ZEb-mSQg

I’ll definitely agree Jim stinnett is worth a look, especially if you like a bit of Motown, He explains things very clearly and he’s got some good grooves 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2019 at 12:10, missis sumner said:

+1 from me. His band song breakdowns 'what makes this song great' usually feature the basslines too and is theory vids are just great. A whole musical education not just bass. And he likes Rush and Yes.