Why become a member? ×

Set List ?

dmccombe7

Not seen this question before so thought i would have a bit of fun with it.

Where do you keep your set list during the gig ?

Personally i prefer mine to be stuck to the face of the wedge monitors but generally somewhere discreet and not obvious to an audience.

Thoughts ?

Dave

I was reluctantly dragged into the 21st century by the rest of the Bon Jovi tribute lot and bought a tablet into which I put a copy of 'set list maker' and I now have that clamped to my mic stand.  I have to grudgingly admit that it is quite useful and I use it for my other bands, too.  But I always print a copy and have it nearby 'just in case'.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I was reluctantly dragged into the 21st century by the rest of the Bon Jovi tribute lot and bought a tablet into which I put a copy of 'set list maker' and I now have that clamped to my mic stand.  I have to grudgingly admit that it is quite useful and I use it for my other bands, too.  But I always print a copy and have it nearby 'just in case'.

Old school safety net having a hard copy. I like it.:laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

At the start of the year I was made permanent bassist in the band I depped for last year. Last rehearsal before the 1st gig the singer gives me a set list.

At the soundcheck for the 1st gig I soon realise that apart from the singer and the horn section (horn section all have tablets with set list and scores!) I'm the guy that has the set list! Guitarist had printed off one from a previous gig and the drummer just didn't bother ("what's next Al?"). These guys are 'old pros' so it doesn't seem to bother them, I'm a bit of set list jobsworth as I always carry A4 paper and jumbo felt tips (sad).

In answer to OP's question, I put my set list on the floor if there's enough room! My eyesight is going so I find myself bending down to pick up my water between songs to find out what's next 😎. May have to work on a new system, larger print, sheets of A3!

I’m not fussy. Taped to a monitor is preferable, especially if using a thin half A4 sizes set list so that it doesn’t cover the speaker, but anywhere on the floor (near the monitors, in front of amps, off to the side - taped or not) on the drum riser, stuck to a bass bin/FOH speaker/mixing desk/wall/other thing that’s somewhat viewable is also fine.

• Like 1

Always used to tape it to the back of the PA cab. Now I use a tablet. Make a play list on iReal Pro and that is my set list. If its a band I don't play with regularly the advantage is that I can tap on any song and bring up the chords. 

On my Helix. Patches are arranged in the order that we are going to play the songs - one patch plus up to 4 snapshots for each song. Patch up foot switch selects the next patch and its name tells me what the song is.

In my early days of playing none of the bands I was in ever used set lists. We learnt the songs and the order in which we were going to play them.

Generally on the floor next to my FX. I slip them into poly-pockets to keep them damage/beer proof, and I usually print them double-sided (hugging trees) and in 48-point so I can see them from a distance.

in general, next to the pedal board, but with a working knowledge of where the rest of the band have theirs. 

However, where my pedal board is (and whether it's a board or just a couple of pedals) depends on the band and the venue.  Got a good tip ahead of a couple of dep gigs at Christmas from the band, that their fans can be a bit grabby if you leave the set list at the front of the stage, and a bit clumsy with drinks and generally animated, so it's far better to leave the pedals and set lists at the back of the stage and well out of reach...we then forgot to bring any set lists so the band shared one written on a pizza box for the first gig, and I think we did without for the second one (but it was the same set).  Classy