Why become a member? ×

SOLD Yamaha BX-5, white, head and body-less 5 string
£375
Benfleet in Essex

Paul S

I am putting up for sale my Yamaha BX-5.  A distinctively shaped headless bass, not very often seen as the 5 string (4 string is the BX-1) and rarely seen in white – more usually black – which has aged to a beautiful Devon cream in the years since this was made – 1986 in Taiwan according to the serial no..

34” scale, 24 fret through neck.  Headless but able to use ‘normal’ single ball end strings because of the clamp at the head.  Adjustment of the strings takes place at the finely engineered bridge, different in design to the Steinberger system.  Very little fret wear.  Passive electrics with two (hot output!) humbuckers, controls are vol/vol/tone with a push/push coil tap on the tone that does exactly what you would expect when reducing both pickups to single coil mode.

Statistics.  Weighs just 3.3kg (7 ¼ lbs).  Very tight string spacing – nut width is 43mm, spacing at nut is 8.5mm, at the bridge 15mm.  I find this very comfortable for pick playing, less so for fingerstyle.  But then my fingerstyle is rather rudimentary :)   Action is low by my usual standards – I don’t have the necessary gauges for accuracy but putting a ruler next to the neck indicates something like 3mm for the E string at the 12th fret, 2.5mm for the G.

This is a quality, rare, eye catching bass that sounds fantastic and plays like a dream.  Tone is a difficult thing to describe but this has an organic quality about it that the EMGs of the Hohner range lack.  Not remotely honky or nasal.  In a different league to the Hohner B2 series of which I have owned many and, indeed, this replaced.  The extended upper bout eliminates the usual issues with playing a body-less bass in how it hangs on the strap.  Of course the 2 octave neck and no head still play mind games at first but not for long.   There are signs of wear – scuffs on the head, buckle rash a plenty, but no obvious signs of abuse or major dings.  I would say it is in very good condition for a 33 year old.  As far as I can see it is all original.

Comes with the original fitted hard case which is used and marked but does the job perfectly.  Which, given the shape, is probably just as well. :)  Having said that I did find a particular rifle case fitted it almost perfectly for a gig bag.  Link here.

Selling because the band I used this with is about to fold and I see no point it sitting in the case unused no matter how nice it is. :( 

I bought it on eBay last year for a very good price and offer it for sale here for the same, which is £375 collected from Benfleet in SE Essex.  I could deliver for fuel costs within a 50 mile radius or meet halfway.  Overnight insured courier to UK Mainland would be something like £35 but I’d need to confirm that.  Not looking for trades unless you have a black Mustang with a maple neck and might consider taking this PX + cash.

BX5a.jpg

BX5b.jpg

BX5c.jpg

BX5d.jpg

BX5e.jpg

BX5f.jpg

BX5g.jpg

BX5h.jpg

BX5i.jpg

BX5j.jpg

BX5k.jpg

Edited by Paul S