Why become a member? ×

Collecting Basses/Guitars as an investment

StuarDaddy

Mrs G talks about the idea that my basses will gain in value. This isn't something I believe, but I don't discourage Mrs G having this thought. 

Didn't Jack Bruce's basses sell for silly money after he died?  TBH, I doubt if they'll ever re-sell for more than they got when sold for out of his estate. Surely the time has to come when folk will ask, "Jack who?", that's if they don't already.

Even an instrument previously owned/played by McCartney has to come to a time in history when they peak, (about 3 months after he dies), and drops slowly away as folk who remember him move on to other idols?

I think I'll stick with the stocks & shares in an ISA account. I can sell out of that at any time and move between investments far more easily.

• Like 1

Don't invest in anything you have any feeling for. You need to sell when the time is right to realise the best value from any investment. If you have fine instruments you are fond of, you may not be able to bring yourself to cash them in when you should. Grangur has it right.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Don't invest in anything you have any feeling for. You need to sell when the time is right to realise the best value from any investment. If you have fine instruments you are fond of, you may not be able to bring yourself to cash them in when you should. Grangur has it right.

Totally agree, I have a few basses (nothing seriously special but fairly difficult to replace or find again) that have increased in value.  At my time in life I should move them on, I can't play them all, I don't need a 'recording fleet'.  I have my go to bass (£375 Gibson) but I enjoy the rest now and then which is the problem. Collect for gain at your peril, if you get attached to them all is/may be lost on the investment front

Guitars are an illiquid asset in that you need to find a buyer to crystallise any gains - which may be easier said than done...

Anyone who has studied or been involved in the market will have seen how the value of guitars dipped (or crashed, depending) after the 2008 crash. It shows how fragile it all is. If consumer confidence dies the bottom of the market can fall out.

They’re an asset that has little intrinsic value, which is why the market is so fragile. 

Personally I’d avoid viewing guitars as an investment but treat them (as they should be) as instruments of enjoyment. 

What cemented how stupid this fetishisation of originality around Fender guitars was when I shifted to DB. It quickly became clear that the originality of even the most prized instruments was secondary to how well it plays and sounds. 

• Like 1

I have a small collection of vintage instruments , but these were purchased 20 odd years ago when I had more disposable income and the market was not so  overheated and rife with instruments of dubious origins .

There is no way I could ever afford these instruments now , so I guess my collecting days are over , so I must have made some gains in these instruments .

There are far better ways of investing money ( and getting regular returns ) , but you cannot gig shares in Royal Dutch Shell. 

Like any form of collecting for investment purposes , condition and originality is paramount .