Why become a member? ×

A question about the Boss WL-20 system

dave_bass5

I want to get a portable wireless system, so that i can still go wireless when i dont use my pedal board. Nothing other than the amp going to the wall for power. Also like the idea of it being very small and will fit in my pocket if needed. I expect to  just use it at home or rehearsals, as I’d use my pedal board (and os my Line 6) for gigs, but who knows, maybe i can finally drop the pedal board completely. 

Ive narrowed it down to the Boss WL-20 or 20L. I understand most of how they work but one thing i cant get my head around. 

I can see how you pair them, but do you have to do this every time you turn them on? I tend to like to turn things off when I’m not using them, toilet break etc, but I’d hate to think every time i start up again i have to pair them. Not the end of the world as they seem to have a good battery life, but thought I’d ask first. 

Thanks for any input. 

52 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, once you’ve unplugged them you have to re-pair them. Apparently it takes an hour for them to go into standby mode so for a between sets break they’ll stay switched on if still plugged in.

Thanks Lozz, very helpful. 

• 2 months later...

Yes, I looked at that when I was replacing my WL-20 but as you say, it’s quite expensive. 

As above, I had to get the first set changed to the WL-20L as the cable tone feature was stopping me beaming tone prints to my TC Electronics gear. Too much top end missing. The WL-20L works perfectly though. 

• 1 year later...

Late to the party and just come across these - but they do look good!

2.3ms latency is a 1/3 of the 8ms latency on my Smoothound and not a big difference in price between them.

Any update from users on their experience with these? 

I saw there is a pedal board version - but not sure why you would bother with that rather than simply plugging in the receiver to your first pedal - just seems to take up unnecessary real estate?

Also wondering what the WL-60 does "better" for the extra money and size?

On 01/04/2019 at 18:58, dave_bass5 said:

I want to get a portable wireless system, so that i can still go wireless when i dont use my pedal board. Nothing other than the amp going to the wall for power. Also like the idea of it being very small and will fit in my pocket if needed. I expect to  just use it at home or rehearsals, as I’d use my pedal board (and os my Line 6) for gigs, but who knows, maybe i can finally drop the pedal board completely. 

Ive narrowed it down to the Boss WL-20 or 20L. I understand most of how they work but one thing i cant get my head around. 

I can see how you pair them, but do you have to do this every time you turn them on? I tend to like to turn things off when I’m not using them, toilet break etc, but I’d hate to think every time i start up again i have to pair them. Not the end of the world as they seem to have a good battery life, but thought I’d ask first. 

Thanks for any input. 

I use mine at home and at practice, I never have to pair them them before use, I do before a gig to make sure nothing else is using the existing channel that the unit is using

25 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I use mine at home and at practice, I never have to pair them them before use, I do before a gig to make sure nothing else is using the existing channel that the unit is using

Same here. Just to make sure I’m getting the best connection, but normally i dont find i have to. 

Since my last post i actually swapped back to the non ‘L’ version, as i got rid of my TC head and prefer the slightly warmer (in headphones) tone of the cable tone. 

I’ve got the “L” version and it’s decent. Not sure I’d use it on a gig. Would probably prefer the WL50 version with the pedalboard receiver as I’d be able to easily recharge the transmitter between sets, plus I’d never have to worry about receiver charge as it’d be plumbed into my board’s PSU. Plus it gives the option of plugging a cable directly in, should the transmitter die on you. And the pedalboard receiver allows for extended range vs. the WL20’s bug receiver.

If it’s of use to anyone, Andertons currently have the WL50 priced at £5 more than the WL20.

As it stands, the 20L that I have is perfect for home use and little jam sessions but I’d be wanting a more robust system for gigs really, in terms of features and form factor.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

For me the bug system is perfect. I’d say i can get around 12 hours out of them (based on 3 x 4 hour rehearsals) and we have extension leads with USB ports on them so charging isnt really an issue. 

If i had a pedal board I’d probably have gone for the WL50, for the reasons you give above, but in my situation the bug was more convenient.  

• Like 1