Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

36 minutes ago, prowla said:

I'm a yes - we tend to keep a fair distance apart anyway and we can't be a slave to this damned virus forever.

In all honesty, I'm more likely to catch it in my local supermarket than at a Bass Bash.

The above, 100%.

However, @silverfoxnik, we know that even in pre-Covid times, even with attendance lists and promises, not everybody who said they'd attend would attend. We always got enough people, but sometimes the event did end up looking a bit depleted.

Numbers matter, both for the general atmosphere of it and to avoid you guys ending up having to shell out instead of being able to contribute to the school and a charity of choice. In this instance we already have a number of previously regular attendees who say they're not up for it. And that's those who are being open about it. Plus there will be people who are gigging that day/night, or will have gigged the night before, etc. who will 'try to be there' but, as often happens, not make it in the end.

What hope do we have, in such situation, of getting a full house? Perhaps better to simply wait for 2022, when people will have [been forced] to recognise that we must live with this by now not very pernicious virus the way we live with flu and other infectious diseases, and get on with our life.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 3

You could insist on seeing proof of being double jabbed or of a recent negative test result but I think that would, along with those nervous of attending, deplete the numbers even further. I am double jabbed but still avoid, whenever possible, close contact and groups of any sort and until there is a marked and sustainable reduction in infections I'll be continuing this behaviour. The link between infections and hospitalisations is definitely being eroded but there is a way to go yet. Not that any of this matters personally because, as of yesterday, I now no longer own any bass gear whatsoever so my attendance is a moot point!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

You could insist on seeing proof of being double jabbed or of a recent negative test result but I think that would, along with those nervous of attending, deplete the numbers even further. I am double jabbed but still avoid, whenever possible, close contact and groups of any sort and until there is a marked and sustainable reduction in infections I'll be continuing this behaviour. The link between infections and hospitalisations is definitely being eroded but there is a way to go yet. Not that any of this matters personally because, as of yesterday, I now no longer own any bass gear whatsoever so my attendance is a moot point!

Not even your Rob Allen Mouse? 😮

4 hours ago, cetera said:

I'd love to do something but. in all reality. I sadly have to agree with Silvia.

Also, not sure we would get the go ahead from the school in the current 'climate' anyway....

Thanks for the feedback Folks and I have to say, I'm not surprised to read what's been said above.

I think the point about venue availability is key, as is the potential lack of a good turnout, so on that basis, I'm all in favour of waiting and coming back with something well planned, well attended and really enjoyable next year! 👍

@Frank Blank - why have you sold all your bass gear?? I'm sad to read that... 

Edited by silverfoxnik
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

@Frank Blank - why have you sold all your bass gear?? I'm sad to read that... 

The woman I played in a duo with has recently had twins which puts that project on hold for fifteen years! I have no desire to play music with anyone else nor am I good enough, nor have the desire, to play in a covers band so I’m packing it in. Going to concentrate on photography.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

The woman I played in a duo with has recently had twins which puts that project on hold for fifteen years! I have no desire to play music with anyone else nor am I good enough, nor have the desire, to play in a covers band so I’m packing it in. Going to concentrate on photography.

Sounds sensible Frank - sometimes who you make music with is more important than anything else... 

Good luck with the photography! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Fixed. You may not have the desire, but I’m sure you have the ability, be it duo, trio or four piecio etc.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Your photography from what I've seen is absolutely top notch... But.....From personal experience, for what it's worth,  I think you'll regret getting rid of absolutely everything.. Keep at least one favourite bass, and something modest to stick it through etc...  You'll want to play again in some way shape or form, trust me... 

• Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 10:24, Silvia Bluejay said:

I would have no interest whatsoever in attending such a small-scale event if I was required to take a covid test! It's not exactly the Euro final at Wembley, is it?

My shooting club may be instituting tests before meets; it’s not too onerous. 

On 09/07/2021 at 09:40, cetera said:

I'd love to do something but. in all reality. I sadly have to agree with Silvia.

Also, not sure we would get the go ahead from the school in the current 'climate' anyway....

On 09/07/2021 at 09:32, Silvia Bluejay said:

The above, 100%.

However, @silverfoxnik, we know that even in pre-Covid times, even with attendance lists and promises, not everybody who said they'd attend would attend. We always got enough people, but sometimes the event did end up looking a bit depleted.

Numbers matter, both for the general atmosphere of it and to avoid you guys ending up having to shell out instead of being able to contribute to the school and a charity of choice. In this instance we already have a number of previously regular attendees who say they're not up for it. And that's those who are being open about it. Plus there will be people who are gigging that day/night, or will have gigged the night before, etc. who will 'try to be there' but, as often happens, not make it in the end.

What hope do we have, in such situation, of getting a full house? Perhaps better to simply wait for 2022, when people will have [been forced] to recognise that we must live with this by now not very pernicious virus the way we live with flu and other infectious diseases, and get on with our life.

I really wish I didn’t agree but sadly I do. I’m also double jabbed but with underlying medical issues, an elderly family member we’re supporting through cancer treatment, the almost certain need to head back onto a commuter train in September/October and a kid with special needs…  this autumn still somehow feels too soon. Doubly so with the transmissibility of the current variants. :( 

I would also have voted for next year. 

And @silverfoxnik, @Hamster, @cetera happy to help out when it does come around to pulling it together (as part of the North Surrey massive).

• Like 3

On 09/07/2021 at 11:14, Frank Blank said:

You have the ability, and at some point you will meet someone who is on the same level. In the meantime, don't be a stranger, you'll be missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, prowla said:

It is a conundrum, but then the choice is not to do things.

I think the choice is to do things that don't hassle you like that. If enough of us show that we've had enough of having our rights curtailed and our privacy invaded, we may send a message.

• Like 1