Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

I must say I'm not optimistic. The organisers wouldn't be able to avoid making a large loss unless absolutely everybody who would have attended pre-Covid is prepared to attend this October. Better still, if even more people than usual attended.

Of course the mass vaccine rollout helps, but I doubt the country will get back to normal any time this year, simply because the rest of the world won't, and we can't close our borders completely, unlike New Zealand (which is NOT a big international hub like the UK). So there will still be many people who don't feel comfortable mixing with others, and government-imposed social distancing and restrictions, especially indoors.

Since the Bash needs months of planning and organisation, I think we're on a loser here. I very much hope to be proved wrong, though.

Right now, and erring on the side of caution, I'd say it's a no from me.  Even eight or nine months down the line, I'm still going to be harbouring a worry that one of my bass bretheren has it. 

Just an idea here, what about doing the odd Zoom thing?  One person hosts, shows off and demonstrates their gear to whomever has an interest, virtual tea and cake?

Edited by NancyJohnson

I wouldn't take part in a Zoom meetup. I didn't even look once at the UK Guitar event or at Winter NAMM. No interest at all.

I can't think of anything more unattractive, as well as impractical, than having a crappy video call where to show off our stuff inside a small square on a screen. Lighting, PC webcam or phone positioning, microphone, space to move around, you know what I mean. Not to mention that not everybody has the technology or can be ar$ed to set it up for something whose principal value, basically, has always been in the meeting up in person and being able to play each other's basses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2021 at 12:07, Silvia Bluejay said:

I wouldn't take part in a Zoom meetup. I didn't even look once at the UK Guitar event or at Winter NAMM. No interest at all.

I can't think of anything more unattractive, as well as impractical, than having a crappy video call where to show off our stuff inside a small square on a screen. Lighting, PC webcam or phone positioning, microphone, space to move around, you know what I mean. Not to mention that not everybody has the technology or can be ar$ed to set it up for something whose principal value, basically, has always been in the meeting up in person and being able to play each other's basses.

The attraction for me with all these events is meeting up with other BCers/ Bass players. Sitting at home while "attending" would hold no interest for me.

Hope to see you all in person and that we're all well.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Good Morning Folks, 

I've been asked by a few Basschatters - both regular attendees of this event - whether there's any chance of holding a SE Bash this year... 

So I thought the best thing to do would be to put it out there to all of you lovely people. 

What do you think.. Can we, shall we? 🤔😊😁

@Hamster @cetera - what are your thoughts?