Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

IIRC, 2007 was the year of the Northampton national Bash Dave.. 

I remember having an absolutely hilarious road trip up there with @WalManand @Merton..

It was a great day.... 😊

Despite it being the Bash where a guy (who's name escapes me) played slap bass at max volume for about 4 hours non-stop..  How no one decked him that day, I'll never know! 

Happy days 😁

I remember that! He got banned from BassChat as I recall too!! The name will come back to me..

Just a quick note to say..... fantastic day! Big thanks to @Hamster & @silverfoxnik for the organisation, Mrs Hamster for the refreshments and all the lovely people who turned out to support the day. Less people than before (poss due to date proximity of recent Bass/Guitar Show) but, as always, plenty of fantastic instruments and backline/fx to enjoy :)

Thanks to Pete Stroud for an interesting and entertaining chat/demo of his lovely fretless basses too!

Notable was the lack of younger players (or under the age of 40!) there.... and I wonder if that's something we can address or if they just aren't forum members? I know when I was a young player (late teens - twenties) I would have killed to have access to seeing, hearing and trying products I'd only ever seen in a magazine review. Now of course they see them online and on Youtube but nothing beats first hand listening, viewing and trying out...

Anyway.... the best thing? Us.... we really are a very pleasant, amiable and ego-free bunch aren't we? A pleasure to share in the day with you all.... :)

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Anyway.... the best thing? Us.... we really are a very pleasant, amiable and ego-free bunch aren't we? A pleasure to share in the day with you all.... :)

Mmmm, yeah, agree. I was saying to @Stingray5 when we were struggling with the World's Largest Car Park (aka the M25) while homeward bound - it seems that with guitarists (and I admit it, 'cos I am the guitarist in one band), there's always that gunslinger, competitive thing going on; bass players tend to be much more mutually supportive of one another - hanging together like the oppressed minority that we are....

Or as I told @Silvia Bluejay - drummers are psychos, guitarists are egomaniacs, singers are on another planet....bass players are the only sensible/sane ones!!

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

That was a great day and another ‘well done’ to those who organise and book everything. Well done those who not only drove long distances to the event but had some b’s of drives home around the car park commonly known as M25. Makes my trip down the A3 feel like a pleasurable cruise. Thanks for listening to me people, I’m glad it entertained, humoured and informed on the bass on different levels.....

Edited by mybass
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Courtesy of today's mercifully short Raffle draw, that Q-Tron made its way into my kit bag thanks very much @TrevorR..

It's great fun and I'm looking forward to using it.. 

(Along with the one I own already!! 😁

I feel a R*ck*nb*k*r incoming.  Imagine running that in stereo.  Yep.  Imagine.

• Haha 1

On 21/10/2019 at 10:09, Hamster said:

A little bird told me, well it was Frank Blank actually! - that he had managed to attend ever single Bass Bash in the country this year! 

Surely some kind of award or prize should be given for such dedication!! :biggrin: 

Ha ha, now three events in one year does not an award make! @cetera has made the point already but as a relative (to some of you anyway) newcomer to Basschat I have found the forum to be incredibly informative and personally (in a bass equipment sense) completely transformative. But by far the biggest surprise and delight, especially to an ingrained (albeit equal opportunities) misanthropist such as myself, has been the real sense of community (both on the forum and at the Bashes) and the lack of willy waving egoists. I’m not a good player and I’m even worse when it comes to bass tech, I have asked real novice questions over and over again and always received brilliant answers that were in no way patronising, impatient or finished with any sentences along the lines of ...you plug it in the input you tw4t!

@cetera makes another important point about the lack of youngsters at the Bash and I think this applies to the forum too, I think part of the answer is in that very egoless nature of BC. Most forums and, well, the Internet as a whole really (at least the bits where people get to interact and discuss stuff), is about people venting from the safety of a keyboard in a bedroom, it’s about ego, conflict, competition and most importantly it’s all about f*** all. It takes time to mature into people able to communicate without preening about trying to make up for the gaping holes in ones character and personality that only slowly fill up with wisdom and knowledge over a lifetime. I’m afraid I think forums and meetings like ours will remain the preserve of folk our age simply by dint of the nature of maturing into an adult and developing a real interest in a subject.

That being said there is something about being a bass player, a purveyor of low end frequency, that does seem to attract people from a noble seam. As I explained to a friend once at a reggae gig who commented that I was dancing at half the speed of the ‘chank, chank’ of the guitar, “Look at the bass player. The drumming is maths, the singer is ego, the guitarist (at least the lead) is a w4nk puffin. The bass player is what’s moving this entire audience.”

Sorry went off on one there. Essentially I’d go, or at least attempt to go, to any and every Bass Bash I possibly could simply because I’ve never known a site or community like it and it flies in the face of everything I’ve ever learned about humans, so see you at the next one.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, G-77 said:

was it the fella who was slapping the Ashbury in the video I put up...  now what was his name....  😉 

He should be banned for other reasons... he just can't stay away from the marketplace and needs to stop buying things!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dood said:

He should be banned for other reasons... he just can't stay away from the marketplace and needs to stop buying things!!!!!!!!

That's no good.  If that ban were to apply universally...there'd be no-one on here!!

:laugh1:

(..especially me, if you bear in mind that I was moved to buy my current fretless - or one of them, after failing to sell the other yesterday!! - after seeing a video review of it on Basschat, made by.... @Dood!!! xD)

Edited by mangotango
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mangotango said:

That's no good.  If that ban were to apply universally...there'd be no-one on here!!

:laugh1:

(..especially me, if you bear in mind that I was moved to buy my current fretless - or one of them, after failing to sell the other yesterday!! - after seeing a video review of it on Basschat, made by.... @Dood!!! xD)

Awww! Well thank you very much for the kind words sir! I really appreciate that! What did you get? 

Hi everyone - that was only my second meet (ever, not the year - well done @Frank Blank for the grand slam!) and it was again fab - I love meeting up and chatting with like-minded people. Well done to everyone who helped set up and organise such a great day @silverfoxnik @Hamster  - yes attendance might have been a bit lower but the quality of the event and friendliness of all those in attendance means a lot more than just numbers! A huge thank you for the double header talk from Pete, both building basses and building a career - so insightful!

I am left with a question - is it acceptable to covet thy neighbours bass - especially a purple shift Dingwall D-bird! @G-77

I'm already looking forward to next year (and it might be a bit less of a wait, fingers crossed!). I loved @cetera's idea of a brief bio on the basses on show - might steal that idea for next time! I think the bash is such a wonderful idea, not just for the camaradiery and conversation but also the chance to hear such an eclectic mix of gear without sales pressure or a trek across the country. I already find the year on year progression of GAS and techcreep fascinating! I had to steer clear of @Jabba The Hutt or else I would have had to do some serious arm twisting for the chance to own one of his amazing creations!

I don't know what the answer is to the generational thing - unfortunately I am now in the 40+ bracket so can't comment - I think perhaps the forum does appeal to an older generation, maybe younger blood is happy cyberchatting to strangers? I know the facebook page is quieter than the forum in the months and weeks leading up to the bash, maybe a little paid advertising (less than £10 would promote an event to all the friends of friends automatically) might work - but on the other hand I think its more likely and attitude shift with a certain number of miles on the clock that brings us together... and so rewarding to see others benefit from your own experiements @GraemeRoss and it means you were onto something and not succumbing to marketing BS!

I wonder if we could set up a 'quiet room' in future for some 'Chappers and the Captain' style gear reviews for widening the awareness of the forum and bash - could be a bit of fun if any of you like the idea of a new career on youtube! Any suggestions for potential future stars? I think after the 2019 Bass Show experiment there may be other low-end connousouirs looking for a more relevant day out!

Must go now my 6 month old is stirring from an afternoon nap wanting to make up for a lack of Daddy time yesterday - looks like a family day out to Hampton Court Palace next Sunday might be needed to make up for it - what else is on nearby that day? wink wink!

Edited by rodfunnell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mangotango said:

Spectorcore 5'er. Really lovely bass.

Ahhh yes!!! Now that was a lovely bass to review!

I've just posted in General Discussion here to ask for some video review feedback. (It was fuelled by your post actually!) Would you be up for that?

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Ha ha, now three events in one year does not an award make! @cetera has made the point already but as a relative (to some of you anyway) newcomer to Basschat I have found the forum to be incredibly informative and personally (in a bass equipment sense) completely transformative. But by far the biggest surprise and delight, especially to an ingrained (albeit equal opportunities) misanthropist such as myself, has been the real sense of community (both on the forum and at the Bashes) and the lack of willy waving egoists. I’m not a good player and I’m even worse when it comes to bass tech, I have asked real novice questions over and over again and always received brilliant answers that were in no way patronising, impatient or finished with any sentences along the lines of ...you plug it in the input you tw4t!

@cetera makes another important point about the lack of youngsters at the Bash and I think this applies to the forum too, I think part of the answer is in that very egoless nature of BC. Most forums and, well, the Internet as a whole really (at least the bits where people get to interact and discuss stuff), is about people venting from the safety of a keyboard in a bedroom, it’s about ego, conflict, competition and most importantly it’s all about f*** all. It takes time to mature into people able to communicate without preening about trying to make up for the gaping holes in ones character and personality that only slowly fill up with wisdom and knowledge over a lifetime. I’m afraid I think forums and meetings like ours will remain the preserve of folk our age simply by dint of the nature of maturing into an adult and developing a real interest in a subject.

That being said there is something about being a bass player, a purveyor of low end frequency, that does seem to attract people from a noble seam. As I explained to a friend once at a reggae gig who commented that I was dancing at half the speed of the ‘chant, chank’ of the guitar, “Look at the bass player. The drumming is maths, the singer is ego, the guitarist (at least the lead) is a w4nk puffin. The bass player is what’s moving this entire audience.”

Sorry went of on one there. Essentially I’d go, or at least attempt to go, to any and every Bass Bash I possibly could simply because I’ve never known a site or community like it and it flies in the face of everything I’ve ever learned about humans, so see you at the next one.

Got to say @Frank Blank, I think that's my favourite post of the year so far !

As a bass player, I'm biased obviously, but there's a  lot of truth in what you've said IMHO.. 

Thinking about the lack of younger people attending the Bashes, I think there may be economic reasons behind it too. Let's face it, its not the cheapest of hobbies to take part in is it? specially with this place driving the GAS at full throttle!! 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope, it was in reply to Nik having a pair of whatever he has.  I wouldn't buy another Rickenbacker...

I suspect we may have witnessed an occurrence of  ‘commentator’s curse’ here. Watch this space 😂.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope, it was in reply to Nik having a pair of whatever he has.  I wouldn't buy another Rickenbacker...

Hadn't thought of that idea @NancyJohnson but it has a certain  charm to it... 😁

I started out playing a Hondo Rick copy when I was 16, then got a proper Rick when I'd saved up my pennies, so I always feel nostalgic about the idea of going back to one... 

I really enjoyed it. It was great to meet up with familiar faces. Some whom I really only see once or twice a year.

I think I may have been the youngest person there being 40, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's all about the crack really and playing things you might not have access to. Besides, it might be cool to see what "the kids" are using these days. On the other hand it'll probably be drop F Dingwalls with Darkglass everything. Maybe it's best not to know.

• Haha 4