Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

Had a great day today and thanks to everyone who came along to make it yet another successful Bash! 

Got to say a very special thanks to Pete Stroud aka @mybass for being our guest speaker... 

Pete's talk was really enjoyable; full of humour and useful insights into his career, his playing and his very interesting approach to building basses! Thanks Pete - really appreciate it! 😊👍

Another big thanks also to Colin aka @Hamster, Sarah, aka Mrs Hamster and Gary aka @cetera - without their enthusiasm, energy and support, the Bash just wouldn't have happened this year!

Great to see/hear some amazing gear in action today, from @cetera's amazing Spector custom shop, to @pete.young's Dusenberg, @orangefriday's LED home build bass, @Frank Blank's Godin...amongst many, many others!!

We definitely appreciated all the help setting up and packing down btw, so thanks to all who contributed there..

Anyway, it was a fab day and thanks again Folks! 

Looking forward to reading Sivia' Bijou Blog when it's ready too.. 😁

Nik 

P. S. @The Greek - Mick, I'm so sorry I didn't get to see/meet Laurence Cottle, am gutted about that, but thanks for inviting him along.. And sorry not to see you either! 

• Like 8

Thanks to all the usual suspects for organising another excellent Bass Bash. I managed not to attend the talk, nor participate in the raffle and I managed to give  @Jabba_the_gut double homework, which appealed to my officious nature and infect @obbm with the Rob Allen virus. Thanks @BreadBin for saving my back. All in all a splendid day.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really good day. As ever, I got to make the acquaintance of some smashing people who have mildly foolish board names but also amazingly brilliant bass kit. Nice long chats with BassAce and I got to try his EUB, also MacDaddy’s Rob Allen Mouse, some astonishingly fab basses from the remarkably modest Jabba, and huge thanks to Cetera for letting me play the winner of the Mangotango “THIS is the bass I most want to nick today” Award, for that wonderful Spectorbird.  People had a go on my Aria EUB, some of them making it sound much better than I do (bah!☺️) and then we had a good talk filled with interesting stuff, from today’s guest Pete Stroud.👍👍

OK, it wasn’t a perfect day - nobody bought any of my Gear For Sale, dagnabbit; the traffic on the way home was a bit cr@p, and annoyingly Liv’pewl failed to beat That Scummy Lot; but bass-wise, it was pretty darned fine.

Huge praise to all who organised the event, and as ever to Hamster for MC’ing raffle proceedings so we’ll.

Edited by mangotango
BassAce's EUB is a Kolstein not an Eminence. Sorry. It's still bloomin' nice, however!
  • Like 4

On 09/10/2019 at 14:34, Wombat said:

If anyone is interested in 'wireless' I'll bring my Boss WL20 which is not supposed to work with any of my active basses (but it does). I've A/Bd it against my stage leads and I can't tell any difference. Be interested in what anyone else thinks.

@Wombat

Got to say Matt, that's an amazing little piece of kit! 

Thanks for bringing it along... 

👍😊

On 17/10/2019 at 20:58, TrevorR said:

I’ll bring along my usual big bundle of review CDs and a Q-Tron that I won last year and never found a use for.

Courtesy of today's mercifully short Raffle draw, that Q-Tron made its way into my kit bag thanks very much @TrevorR..

It's great fun and I'm looking forward to using it.. 

(Along with the one I own already!! 😁

Edited by silverfoxnik

I didn’t make it as I wasn’t feeling so great. Glad it was yet another triumph (I’ve met Pete Stroud before and seen him play; top fella). The thing I’m most sad about is not being able to see, hear and play @Jabba_the_gut’s fine creations, it was a highlight for me last year. Perhaps in 2020.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Good to see you all today and return to a Bass Bash after may years!  Good to see some old faces as well as some new,  @MacDaddy, @obbm can you remember when the first bashes were up in Northampton?  I recon about 2006/7

I have put my photos up on the basschat Facebook page , along with a few Facebook live streams I snuck in there when you weren't looking! 

The photos are public so you should be able to see them if you are not a facebooker!

https://www.facebook.com/Basschat/

SE BassBass Oct 2019_0003_3710.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great day (again) at the Bass Bash and, as has been said, BIG thanks to @Hamster (and Mrs Hamster), @silverfoxnik, @cetera for their efforts in getting this all together. Great to catch up with old 'chatters(!) and meet some new ones. Also thanks to Matt ( @Wombat ) for letting me try the WL-20 wireless kit. From his previous post, I can confirm it certainly does work with active basses (and here was I thinking I got away with adding any more to my GAS!!) :)

See y'all at the next one!

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, G-77 said:

@obbm can you remember when the first bashes were up in Northampton?  I recon about 2006/7

I think the first National Bash was around 2006 at that Motel on the A45 between Northampton and the M1. Maybe someone can put an actual date on it.  It was 2007 when I organised the very first SE Bash at that grotty rehearsal studio under the arches next to Guildford Station.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, obbm said:

I think the first National Bash was around 2006 at that Motel on the A45 between Northampton and the M1. Maybe someone can put an actual date on it.  It was 2007 when I organised the very first SE Bash at that grotty rehearsal studio under the arches next to Guildford Station.

IIRC, 2007 was the year of the Northampton national Bash Dave.. 

I remember having an absolutely hilarious road trip up there with @WalManand @Merton..

It was a great day.... 😊

Despite it being the Bash where a guy (who's name escapes me) played slap bass at max volume for about 4 hours non-stop..  How no one decked him that day, I'll never know! 

Happy days 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, obbm said:

ahh yeh I remember the one at Guilford.

18 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

IIRC, 2007 was the year of the Northampton national Bash Dave.. 

I remember having an absolutely hilarious road trip up there with @WalManand @Merton..

It was a great day.... 😊

Despite it being the Bash where a guy (who's name escapes me) played slap bass at max volume for about 4 hours non-stop..  How no one decked him that day, I'll never know! 

Happy days 😁

I just dug out the video i shot at the 2nd one in Northampton c2007 when we had more hair!,  I recall this was the one where people were queuing at the door to get their gear in !  with @Dood

• Like 4