Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

• 4 weeks later...

It normally starts from around 10am, £10 payable on the door to cover venue hire/insurance etc and tea/coffee/cakes/pastries will be available.
Just bring your bass(es) & rig, set up and share in the day with other like minded bassists. A full programme for the day will be provided shortly :)

6 minutes ago, cetera said:

It normally starts from around 10am, £10 payable on the door to cover venue hire/insurance etc and tea/coffee/cakes/pastries will be available.
Just bring your bass(es) & rig, set up and share in the day with other like minded bassists. A full programme for the day will be provided shortly :)

luvly thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickhardup said:

Hi all have never been to a event like this before so a few questions, do i just turn up ? is there a start and a finish time ? is there anywhere to get refreshments etc? these maybe stupid questions but i don't want to turn up at 9am and doors don't open till 12

Have a look at Silvia's photo blog of the day and you'll get an idea of it. Very relaxed, chilled out time. Bunch of bass geeks getting together to bass geek... 

Last year: https://silviabluejay.blog/2018/10/26/basschat-south-east-bash-2018/

The year before: https://silviabluejay.blog/2017/12/08/basschat-se-bash-2017/

And Gary forgot to mention that any excess door money and the raffle money goes straight to a selection of worthy causes. Usually all winds down about 4ish/4:30ish...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Can I just check on some etiquette regarding selling items?

It looks like I’ll be able to make it now and over the years, I’ve managed to assemble a whole host of pedals (20 +) , preamps, amps, parts, (and the odd bass) that is just gathering dust. Would it be OK to bring these with me for people to try / buy on the day?

I don’t want to turn it into a shop but I have somehow managed to gather a ‘boot sale’ amount of stuff. Happy to manage the ‘for sale’ section on the day if that helps?

let me know whether it’s OK to bring it down in addition to my rig? Would a percentage of anything sold or a flat donation to the good causes be OK if so?

First timer so I just wanted to check!

cheers, Jim

On 30/04/2019 at 11:11, cetera said:

Updated my gear list:

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

06. Cetera - Spector NS2, Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, GK800RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

You forgot to add The Axe...

• Haha 1

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

01. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Ander van der End JB5, RBV5, Ampeg V4BH head and matching cabs. 

02. Hamster - Tea, Coffee, Pastries, the Wife - might bring a bass!

03. @Frank Blank's Acoustic Corner - Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2 and Fishman preamp).

04. RodFunnell - '78 Stingray, Assorted Warwicks, Vanderkley Spartan, Mesa Prodigy 4:88, Barefaced Big Twin T and it's still a few months away so maybe more!

05. obbm - Sadowsky Metros, Handbox WB100,Bergantino cabs.

06. Cetera - Spector USA NS2, Spector USA NS2X 'Spectorbird', Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, Fender FSR 70's Ash P, original Gallien Krueger 400RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head, 2xAguilar SL112s Barefaced Big One (the #000)

08. Rumblefish - Rumblefish bass,Wal Bass, MB Mpulse 600,Berg CN212 

09.  Steve Browning - SVL & Fender Precisions, Mesa Walkabout 15

10. @Stingray5 - MM and Tune basses, Trace Elliot or Eden combos, Boss GT-6B.

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

12. samcrabtree00 - Warwick Streamer Stage II, USA MM Sub, Genzler Magallen 800, Barefaced BB2, Various effects

13. TrevorR - Wal Custom and Pro, Aria SB700, MarkBass LMII & Traveler 2x10

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

16. OrangeFriday - Third build - J bass - may contain LEDs...

17. Wolverinebass - haven't decided what to bring yet.

18. Kebabkid - A Roland Bass Cube 120XL and a couple of 4 string Sires (V7 & V3) and if there's a bass shoot out, I'm happy to include one or both of these in the competition

19. MacDaddy - custom Shuker/s, Snapdragon Folding Bass, Rob Allen Mouse.

• Like 2

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

01. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Ander van der End JB5, RBV5, Ampeg V4BH head and matching cabs. 

02. Hamster - Tea, Coffee, Pastries, the Wife - might bring a bass!

03. @Frank Blank's Acoustic Corner - Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2, HX Stomp and HX Edit).

04. RodFunnell - '78 Stingray, Assorted Warwicks, Vanderkley Spartan, Mesa Prodigy 4:88, Barefaced Big Twin T and it's still a few months away so maybe more!

05. obbm - Sadowsky Metros, Handbox WB100,Bergantino cabs.

06. Cetera - Spector USA NS2, Spector USA NS2X 'Spectorbird', Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, Fender FSR 70's Ash P, original Gallien Krueger 400RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head, 2xAguilar SL112s Barefaced Big One (the #000)

08. Rumblefish - Rumblefish bass,Wal Bass, MB Mpulse 600,Berg CN212 

09.  Steve Browning - SVL & Fender Precisions, Mesa Walkabout 15

10. @Stingray5 - MM and Tune basses, Trace Elliot or Eden combos, Boss GT-6B.

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

12. samcrabtree00 - Warwick Streamer Stage II, USA MM Sub, Genzler Magallen 800, Barefaced BB2, Various effects

13. TrevorR - Wal Custom and Pro, Aria SB700, MarkBass LMII & Traveler 2x10

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

16. OrangeFriday - Third build - J bass - may contain LEDs...

17. Wolverinebass - haven't decided what to bring yet.

18. Kebabkid - A Roland Bass Cube 120XL and a couple of 4 string Sires (V7 & V3)and if there's a bass shoot out, I'm happy to include one or both of these in thecompetition

19. MacDaddy - custom Shuker/s, Snapdragon Folding Bass, Rob Allen Mouse.

• Like 1

I've not to been to a BassBash for some time !! So I will try to get to this one if I'm not working!  Can bring 2 of the following,  D-Bird (purple shift) Anaconda Crusher CXE (green), Status King Bass Prototype #4 (left in photo)  or Status Streamline.  If anyone got a presence let me know.

Trev.

11040893_10152843422527893_8524105808141632359_n.jpg

D-Bird_0005_3023.jpg

1931101_35566811658_6453_n.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

With only 2 weeks to go, here are the programme details for the 13th Basschat South East Bass Bash!! 

Date: Sunday 20th October 2019
Time: 10am - 5pm
Entry: £10 (for the 12 year running - how's that for value for money!)
Venue: Jubilee High School, Surrey, School Lane, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 1TE
Venue Link: 
Venue website
Map link: Streetmap link

Workshops/Guest Speaker:

12.30pm:  Pete Stroud

We're really pleased to confirm that the very talented @mybass a.k.a. Pete Stroud (see attached photo) will be with us this year's Bash to talk to us about his career, or as he describes it:

"...an informal look into a players past music trip through to how and why I started building basses that I use all the time now."

Pete's very impressive CV includes playing with:

Roger Chapman (Family), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Moody Marsden Band (Bernie and Micky were Whitesnake guitarists) and also in their solo projects, Toyah Wilcox, Paul Williams' 'Blue Thunder' (Alan Holdsworth singer), Peter Green Splinter Group (yes THAT Peter Green), Buddy Whittington (Texan guitarist ex John Mayall. Some of the guests on stage with these bands include Carlos Santana, Popa Chubby, Hubert Sumlin, Steve Miller, John Mayall, Mick Taylor and a few others!   And he's also worked for Korg and Marshall at the London and Frankfurt trade shows. 

Pete says that over the years he 'found the need' to start building my own basses due to the lack in the early years to find a decent playing action fretless bass in a shop. This has been both very costly and enjoyable!!

Pete is still a very busy bassist in the UK, notably with Blues Award winner The Papa George Band (www.papageorge.co.uk) and Bad Influence (www.badinfluence.org.uk).

Some good YouTube footage here:  

Other workshop ideas: 

If anybody wants to put together a workshop at short notice, that's be great. Here's a list of the ideas put forward so far:

• Best In Show
  • P Bass Shoot Out
  • Full Band environment bass test
  • Blindfold bass test
  • Blindfold P Bass test
  • Cab dispersion/distance test
  • Introduction to IEM

I think the 'Best In Show idea is great by the way, so am thinking how we could make that work..

Other important info:
Room layout will be something along the lines of the last couple of years with the large Hall area as the space where you can all set up & compare (loudly) your own gear, the Theatre for Workshops, the Jam Room (hopefully with the mighty Paul on drums) .... And in the Foyer will be the reception desk, Refreshments, the Gear for Sale section and the Raffle Prizes table

Spaces:

• The Theatre for Workshops
  • Side Room/quiet Room - smaller number of rigs in here makes it a little easier to talk & play
  • The Jamming Room for jamming with drummers (and other strange non-bass playing people)
  • The Main Hall (where you can set up your gear and make some low frequency vibrations)
  • The Foyer - Refreshments, Gear For Sale table & The Raffle

About Costs....Every year, it costs about £185 for the hire of the venue plus an amount for some public liability insurance cover therefore to cover those basic costs  we have  to charge £10 per head entrance fee to one and all. As stated before many times, it's been £10 since the event started back in 2007, so it really is fantastic value for money!

Charities: We will donate all profits from the day to a worthy cause or two, probably in exactly the same way we did last year.

Refreshments will be available on the day for a small charge of course which will help increase the profits and keep everyone happy! Last year, as ever, Hamster & Mrs Hamster (a.k.a. Sarah) did all the work on that and have offered to do so again, so many thanks in advance to them!

How you can Help/Get Involved
What would be really helpful from everyone who's interested in participating on the day is:

1. Donations of raffle prizes
2. Volunteers to help out on the day

Thanks to all those who've already said they're attending - it's much appreciated and we look forward to seeing as many more of you who want to come along on the day! 

The South East Bass Bash Team :)

Pete Stroud 1.jpg

• Like 1

Thought this would be worth a mention on it's own:

Other workshop ideas: 

If anybody wants to put together a workshop at short notice, that's be great. Here's a list of the ideas put forward so far:

• Best In Show
  • P Bass Shoot Out
  • Full Band environment bass test
  • Blindfold bass test
  • Blindfold P Bass test
  • Cab dispersion/distance test
  • Introduction to IEM

I think the 'Best In Show idea is great by the way, so am thinking how we could make that work..

Does anyone fancy making one or two of the other ideas happen? If so, please give me a shout! :)

Cheers

Nik

I'd really like to see a "cheap or expensive" blind test. 

Blindfold the tester, pass them a variety of basses in different price ranges to see if people really can tell the difference between "cheap or expensive" basses. 

Spreadsheet, let everybody have a go, and see how good we are at really telling the difference. I have a couple of ringers which could throw a spanner in the works.

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I'd really like to see a "cheap or expensive" blind test. 

Blindfold the tester, pass them a variety of basses in different price ranges to see if people really can tell the difference between "cheap or expensive" basses. 

Spreadsheet, let everybody have a go, and see how good we are at really telling the difference. I have a couple of ringers which could throw a spanner in the works.

Cheers Mick 😊

I'll message you to discuss it.. 

Nik