Why become a member? ×

The 13th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 20 October 2019

Hamster

I loved last year so I’ll be there...

Attendance & Gear List:

01. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Ander van der End JB5, RBV5, Ampeg V4BH head and matching cabs. 

02. Hamster - Tea, Coffee, Pastries, the Wife - might bring a bass!

03. @Frank Blank Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2 and Fishman preamp).

04. RodFunnell - '78 Stingray, Assorted Warwicks, Vanderkley Spartan, Mesa Prodigy 4:88, Barefaced Big Twin T and it's still a few months away so maybe more!

05. obbm - Sadowsky Metros, Handbox WB100, Bergantino cabs.

06. Cetera - Spector NS2, Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, GK800RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head (will probably be old hat by then), 2xAguilar SL112s.

08. Rumblefish - Rumblefish bass,Wal Bass, MB Mpulse 600,Berg CN212 

09.  Steve Browning - SVL & Fender Precisions, Mesa Walkabout 15

10. @Stingray5 - MM and Tune basses, Trace Elliot or Eden combos, Boss GT-6B.

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

12. samcrabtree00 - Warwick Streamer Stage II, USA MM Sub, Genzler Magallen 800, Barefaced BB2, Various effects

13. TrevorR - Wal Custom and Pro, Aria SB700, MarkBass LMII & Traveler 2x10

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless  

Happy to bring my rig for people to play with. Those BB2s take a lot of running in!

I'm in!

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

The only bad thing about the event is that it has me looking forward to Summer being over. It looks like a full weekend for me, as I plan to go to the Trafalgar event at Bisley on the Saturday.

In fact, October is a busy month guitar-wise, as there are also Northampton and Kempton guitar fairs (6th & 27th).

@prowla is indeed in...

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

01. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Ander van der End JB5, RBV5, Ampeg V4BH head and matching cabs. 

03. @Frank Blank's Acoustic Corner - Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2 and Fishman preamp).

04. RodFunnell - '78 Stingray, Assorted Warwicks, Vanderkley Spartan, Mesa Prodigy 4:88, Barefaced Big Twin T and it's still a few months away so maybe more!

06. Cetera - Spector NS2, Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, GK800RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head (will probably be old hat by then), 2xAguilar SL112s.

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

12. samcrabtree00 - Warwick Streamer Stage II, USA MM Sub, Genzler Magallen 800, Barefaced BB2, Various effects

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

• Like 1

03. @Frank Blank's Acoustic Corner - Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2 and Fishman preamp).

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

16. OrangeFriday - Third build - J bass - may contain LEDs...

On 13/04/2019 at 16:38, ChunkyMunky said:

How about a discretionary test on the distance away from a cabinet and how that cabinet sounds at distance? See if the end results matches our hypothesis? 

(Ignore if it's a silly idea, a bit sleep deprived here)

Not silly at all. After tests Stevie rotated the Horn in the Basschat 1x12 as it gave the player more mids when standing in front of it. Maybe I will bring one along if I have a working one by then.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2019 at 18:36, TheGreek said:

A friend of mine bought a guitar on this basis - expensive Gibson LP -v- budget copy - he claims that he actually preferred the cheaper model which is why he bought that instead of the Gibson.

Thats what he tells you now Mick. I can just picture the scene now. Your mates wife saying that he can only get the cheap one. He convinces himself it's better to mentally soften the blow. Then a few days later it hits him. He cracks and has to go upstairs to his bedroom and cry whilst hugging a pillow and sobbing the word "why" over and over almost indecipherably through his blubbing.

• Haha 1

On 10/04/2019 at 18:36, TheGreek said:

In regards to another bass shoot out....I'd like to see a blind folded seminar where attendees get to play a number of basses of varying value to see if they can distinguish between low end/mid-rage/high end basses.

Mr Devine must read these threads too..

On 25/04/2019 at 08:32, Wolverinebass said:

That's what he tells you now Mick. I can just picture the scene now. Your mates wife saying that he can only get the cheap one. He convinces himself it's better to mentally soften the blow. Then a few days later it hits him. He cracks and has to go upstairs to his bedroom and cry whilst hugging a pillow and sobbing the word "why" over and over almost indecipherably through his blubbing.

😅😅😅 

I never knew him to put his partner before his own wants. He bought it shortly after a sizable compensation payout so I was inclined to believe him.

At the first Herts Bash the "winner" of the P test was a mid range Mark Hoppus model. That's why I'm interested in seeing how we all do in a blind test.

Updated my gear list:

03. @Frank Blank's Acoustic Corner - Rob Allen Mouse, Godin A4, FRFR setup (QSC K12.2 and Fishman preamp).

06. Cetera - Spector NS2, Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, GK800RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

06. Cetera - Spector NS2, Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, GK800RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head, 2xAguilar SL112s Barefaced Big One (the #000)

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:36, TheGreek said:

In regards to another bass shoot out....I'd like to see a blind folded seminar where attendees get to play a number of basses of varying value to see if they can distinguish between low end/mid-rage/high end basses. After my recent adventure collecting a £200 Yamaha for another BCer I'm pretty sure that most won't be able to.

Lee Anderton and Rob Chapman do similar blind tests - I've seen them for variously flavoured Les Pauls and Stratocasters; those who saw last years blind test will bear witness as to how long it took to run through just 15-20 different basses with me hosting and Gary noodling through Carry On Wayward Son

We could certainly set up something with Precisions (or Jazzes) - Fender/Squire/Marysiccysarious/Tokai/Aria etc. - but to ensure we had a level playing field we'd need to ensure hands were kept away from the giveaway stuff (knobs/machines/body condition), entrants limited to 60 seconds per bass (or less).

How about another thing.  Choosing 'Best In Show'?

• 2 months later...

06. Cetera - Spector USA NS2, Spector USA NS2X 'Spectorbird', Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, Fender FSR 70's Ash P, original Gallien Krueger 400RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head, 2xAguilar SL112s Barefaced Big One (the #000)

Edited by cetera

• 4 weeks later...

Will be along. Don't know what I'm going to bring. Will think of something.

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

02. Hamster - Tea, Coffee, Pastries, the Wife - might bring a bass!

05. obbm - Sadowsky Metros, Handbox WB100,Bergantino cabs.

06. Cetera - Spector USA NS2, Spector USA NS2X 'Spectorbird', Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, Fender FSR 70's Ash P, original Gallien Krueger 400RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

08. Rumblefish - Rumblefish bass,Wal Bass, MB Mpulse 600,Berg CN212 

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

16. OrangeFriday - Third build - J bass - may contain LEDs...

17. Wolverinebass - haven't decided what to bring yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @Hamsterand any one else involved in the organisation of this and looking forward to it

Updated Attendance & Gear List:

02. Hamster - Tea, Coffee, Pastries, the Wife - might bring a bass!

05. obbm - Sadowsky Metros, Handbox WB100,Bergantino cabs.

06. Cetera - Spector USA NS2, Spector USA NS2X 'Spectorbird', Spector Euro LT, Hamer Impact, Dingwall DBird Standard, Hagstrom Super Swede, Italia Imola GP, Fender FSR PJ, Fender FSR 70's Ash P, original Gallien Krueger 400RB, GenzBenz Neox 2x12

08. Rumblefish - Rumblefish bass,Wal Bass, MB Mpulse 600,Berg CN212 

11. ChunkyMunky - Builds of mine (P5, J5 etc), SWR SM900, a Greenboy/Fearful build or two and some other assorted goodies. 

14. @Graemeross 4 Ps, 3 Js, 2 Aria SBs , Darkglass MT900, 2x Barefaced BB2, HX Effects with Line 6 G75 wireless.

15. prowla - Rics, Warwicks, Statii (whatever I chuck in the car!), Markbass EVO 1 & 1x12. Maybe a Minitaur & 12-step (if I've got 'round to figuring out the 12-step by then).

16. OrangeFriday - Third build - J bass - may contain LEDs...

17. Wolverinebass - haven't decided what to bring yet.

18. Kebabkid - A Roland Bass Cube 120XL and a couple of 4 string Sires (V7 & V3) and if there's a bass shoot out, I'm happy to include one or both of these in the competition  

Ta and still on a quest for 'the right octaver' - I've had/tried Aguilar, OC-2, MXR Deluxe, Pearl, TC Sub n' Up and so I'd be interested to try anything else that will be there. Also, will there be any Helix or Kemper users in attendance with their rig? Gary (Cetera) and I have a friend who's the UK distributor for Red Sound Cabs and we might be able to get one down for trial.

Cos

• Like 1

Could I make a little suggestion?  If the numbers aren't so great this year, could we all just congregate in the main hall rather than the little side room and the one where me and Gary did the shoot out last year?  Might just keep it a bit more tighter?

Also on the next gear update, can someone just amend my entry...the Aguilars were sold a few months back.  Thanks muchly.

07. @NancyJohnson Lull JAXT4 & Lull JAX/NRT5, Darkglass A/O Head, Barefaced Big One (the #000)

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Could I make a little suggestion?  If the numbers aren't so great this year, could we all just congregate in the main hall rather than the little side room

Thing is, the little room was perfect for quieter set ups, then again mine was only audible for a while until more rigs arrived. It’ll be worse this time as I’ve gone FRFR but then at least everyone gets to see it if not hear it. Ignore me, I’ve just talked myself out of my own answer, as you were.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Could I make a little suggestion?  If the numbers aren't so great this year, could we all just congregate in the main hall rather than the little side room and the one where me and Gary did the shoot out last year?  Might just keep it a bit more tighter?

I prefer to set up in the side room, cheers. ;)