Why become a member? ×

Shortscale advice - Mustang PJ or ??

crazydancer

@ikay that looks great, can I ask, the name on the headstock says Musicmaster? Did you change that? Or have I missed something? Mine is a Squier Bronco. Making notes on the suggestions for the mods and going to talk to someone about it at the weekend, it's not something I could tackle. 

Thanks for all the advice!!

3 hours ago, crazydancer said:

@ikay that looks great, can I ask, the name on the headstock says Musicmaster? Did you change that? Or have I missed something? Mine is a Squier Bronco. Making notes on the suggestions for the mods and going to talk to someone about it at the weekend, it's not something I could tackle. 

Thanks for all the advice!!

That's is a bronco with modifications, including fake fender logo on headstock.

• Like 1

Hi Crazydancer

Not sure where you are based but if you are around the Leeds area you are welcome to call in and try my collection of Short scales so you can get an idea of what suits you best!

I have a Vintage ( 1973/4 ) Mustang.  --- a Japanese  Mustang,  a Mexican  P/J Mustang and a custom build Mustang too!

Also have a Gibson EB0 Supreme and a rare Fender Modern Player Short scale Jazz! All strung with a variety of strings ( Mainly Flatwounds )

Will.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2x18 said:

Hi Crazydancer

Not sure where you are based but if you are around the Leeds area you are welcome to call in and try my collection of Short scales so you can get an idea of what suits you best!

I have a Vintage ( 1973/4 ) Mustang.  --- a Japanese  Mustang,  a Mexican  P/J Mustang and a custom build Mustang too!

Also have a Gibson EB0 Supreme and a rare Fender Modern Player Short scale Jazz! All strung with a variety of strings ( Mainly Flatwounds )

Will.

Will, thanks so much, that's such a kind offer!!! Unfortunately I'm in Dorset, right on the south coast...... having said that, I do from time to time have to visit customers for work, so it's not out of the question that I might be your way but nothing booked for the next month or so. That sounds like a fabulous collection of short scales. Thanks for the info on the strings too, that's not something I'd looked into, I still have the original stings on mine and having received info on this thread earlier I had done a bit of reading on the subject.  :) 

3 hours ago, 2x18 said:

Hi Crazydancer

Will.

Wow, very nice collection of great basses. Which one is your goto?

33 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Wow, very nice collection of great basses. Which one is your goto?

Usually my Capri Orange P/J Mustang ( Modified and fitted with " Fender Original  " Precision and Fender " Split Coil " Jazz pickups )

Will.

33 minutes ago, 2x18 said:

Usually my Capri Orange P/J Mustang ( Modified and fitted with " Fender Original  " Precision and Fender " Split Coil " Jazz pickups )

Will.

Love those Capri Orange P/J MIM Mustangs.  Tried to convince the other half that I 'needed' one but she told me in no uncertain terms that certain parts of my anatomy were in jeopardy should I persist in the discussion. I've had to settle on this one (and the Mikey Way and the Dano Longhorn....)

Mustang.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Man, I love these mustangs with the go faster stripes - they look sick! If they still made them that way I don't think I could resist!

They are mate.  I was amazed that I found one (was searching for the 'Trevor Bolder' look)...a very nice BC'er offered one up last year at a very reasonable price.  This one's a 2002(?) MIJ 1966 re-issue I think?

sfm.jpg

I picked up a secondhand Warwick Corvette Rockbass Shortscale for £300. It’s made in China but has the same hardware and electronics as the crazy expensive German ones. I absolutely love this bass and find it very versatile in terms of tone. They retail new around £700. I would also consider the Chowny SWB1.

There's a couple pf shouts on here for the Chowny SWB-1. They are indeed great basses, I briefly owned a passive one myself and they are well made and the pickups are sublime, they have a great punchy tone to them. However, the reason I soon moved mine on was that although its a 30" scale length the lack of a top horn means that the way it hangs on a strap puts the first fret in around the same place it would be on a standard scale bass. Yes the frets are closer together but you still have that stretch to reach the bottom end of the neck as though it's a full sized bass. That defeated the object for me as I wanted the first fret much closer than on a standard scale bass! Something to consider for anyone looking to get one. 

• Like 2

On 07/04/2019 at 12:53, Paul S said:

Damnation.  Someone did.

Me. 

Simply couldn't resist.

And it is here today - very speedy service from Bass direct.  Lovely bass, too - my main issue is that it is 34" scale!  :) 

Yes, does seem a bit of a major error.  Still, not a problem sending it back.

It is actually a gorgeous bass.  It isn't the bright white shown in the pics but a warm opalescent finish that looks superb with the black neck and hardware/no pickguard look.  Probably the only thing wrong with it is that because the pics are so contrasty they didn't show up a huge patch of wear on the back.  But who looks at the back of their bass all day?  Sounds nice, too.  But not 30" scale and a bit heavy for me at 4.2kg.  So, yes, going back.

On 09/04/2019 at 12:59, Paul S said:

And it is here today - very speedy service from Bass direct.  Lovely bass, too - my main issue is that it is 34" scale!  :) 

Just a minor pink torpedo up! 🤯