Why become a member? ×

Lesson learned. Finally.

stewblack

Or maybe it should be 'Things Basschat has taught me which I've finally managed to grasp'.

In this instance it's about bunging mis-matched speaker cabs together. It seems that the speed of the group is determined by its slowest member. The penny finally dropped last night. If I put a 2x10 cab and  a 1x10 cab to the same amp they can only handle what the 1x10 can handle. Because both cabs are getting the same oopmh from the amp. It's not like it's three speakers so it's capable of handling a third more oomph than two can. I get it now. I need to put a second 2x10 not just add a 1x10.

Sorry Basschat, you have explained this over and again 

45 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Not necessarily. If the 1x10 is 8ohm and the 2x10 is 4ohm, the power will be spread evenly between all 3 speakers.

4 + 8 = 2.67 in ohms speak.

I believe Stew was running 2 8 ohm cabs, which puts the same power into both cabs, which makes the 110 the limiting factor.

• Like 1

Worked rather well. I had the super powerful little class D amp with me anyway so I took a pre eq DI from the Trace to the Veyron and connected that to the 1x10. Got a big fat bass sound out of the TE head and 2x10 cab and a crisp upper mid and top sound from the Veyron and 1x10.

Over complicated? Not really. Took seconds to set up. Sounded pretty good too 

• Like 1