Why become a member? ×

UK -v- USA...Who produced the "best" bands???

TheGreek

Who makes the best music??  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the best music?

• United Kingdom
    • United States

5 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

We have the Beatles and the Wurzels. 

I was there, in the mid to late seventies, when the Wurzels displaced the entire punk movement and thereby forced people to recognise Scrumpy and Western music as a genre to be respected.  If you weren't there, you just don't know.

image.png.09ea722ea9299f1d15f73fa5e700cc53.png

• Haha 1

The thing is... (White) America never got over the 1950s.. which means they keep re-inventing rock 'n' roll. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It gave us the Stooges and Guns 'n' Roses. England (deliberately used) has never got over the 1960s which means we end up with stupidness like Britpop, Blur, Oasis and the assumption that jangly guitars held high, shaking your head and going 'yeah yeah woo' is a work of musical genius...

My vote goes to Black America. Proper blues, motown, p-funk, disco, rap, house... Disco and rap are pretty much the foundation of 21st century pop.

Oh yeah, and metal = Finland for me... :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, operative451 said:

The thing is... (White) America never got over the 1950s.. which means they keep re-inventing rock 'n' roll. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It gave us the Stooges and Guns 'n' Roses. England (deliberately used) has never got over the 1960s which means we end up with stupidness like Britpop, Blur, Oasis and the assumption that jangly guitars held high, shaking your head and going 'yeah yeah woo' is a work of musical genius...

My vote goes to Black America. Proper blues, motown, p-funk, disco, rap, house... Disco and rap are pretty much the foundation of 21st century pop.

Are you saying like, that Finland is THE best country for metal?

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Are you saying like, that Finland is THE best country for metal?

I prefer Sweden (Opeth, At The Gates, Entombed) or Norway (Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone) for my Scandinavian metal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, operative451 said:

Me too... :D Within Temptation, Epica, And obvs Nightwish.  All together now! OOOOOHHH HOW I WEEEEEEEEEEEESH FOR SOOTHING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!!!

Just the Netherlands then...

Add Delain, Mayan, Ayreon (or whatever he spells it like today) Orphanage, the Gathering

I'm abstaining.

It's such a subjective question that the answers are useless and do nothing more than show personal preference.

My favourite song / band changes at least every week. That automatically changes how I feel about the question posed, every week.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, operative451 said:

I was thinking the very same viz US black music but you beat me to it. I'm not a fan but you can add jazz to that.  As for Britpop, definitely a low in UK music, which the rest of the world was never bothered  about.

For me where the US also beats the UK hands down is in metal. Oddly enough for me I've a soft spot for Pantera, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Five Finger Death Punch, Dillinger Escape Plan and Killswitch Engage. That's  just about the only rock I have in my mostly electronica CD collection and yet I dislike all other metal and hard rock. 

14 hours ago, operative451 said:

That cheeky and knowledgeable little tinker Howard Goodall once proposed the blues music started in Birmingham, England. 

'Woke up dis mornin' loike...'

On 30/03/2019 at 21:06, Cuzzie said:

I know we shouldn’t mention it, but Ze Germans did bring us Boney M, Mili Vanili, Hadaway, popularised Hasselhoff and now Rammstein.

They are on our tails

They also gave us: Einsturzende Neubauten, D.A.F., Die Krupps, Xmal Deutschland.

But then we had: Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb...

Nick Cave rose to prominence when he relocated to Berlin... but now he lives here. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Teebs said:

Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Manics, Super Furry Animals, Stereophobics ;), Catatonia... all good! :)

let's not forget Cardiff's finest..  Budgie.  hammer and tongs still on my regular playlist

• Like 3