Why become a member? ×

UK -v- USA...Who produced the "best" bands???

TheGreek

Who makes the best music??  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the best music?

• United Kingdom
    • United States

My personal opinion and been well in my 50s I would say the UK hands down the classic rock of the late 60s/70s through to the NWOBHM in the 80s we ruled....the mainstream chart music in my eyes died after 79 we had that horrible dirge of electronic girlie music in the 80s...that awful Britpop sxxt of the 90s, then the noughties things just got worse....but the 70s/80s spawned the greatest Heavy Rock Bands in that classic era.

Edited by thebigyin

UK by a long way. If you also consider Hendrix had to come here to be taken seriously and managed properly then he is a surrogate Brit. The list of genre inventing and boundary pushing acts from the UK is too long for me to bother with. 

• Like 1

Growing up in the 70s, I always looked west for musical inspiration...Kiss, Rush, Angel, Starz.  When punk took off, the UK was where things were at to my newly-annointed teenage ears. 

I'd say right now, the stuff that's stayed longest with me is UK based...Japan, early Queen, The Clash, Rich Kids (what a band they could have been), curiously a lot of the US powerpop/poppunk stuff I listen to is very UK-tinged.

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m not going to vote as I don’t feel I know what the answer is, if indeed there is one.

I do feel the need (obviously) to add this name to the discussion though.

David Robert Jones.

Thank you @hiram.k.hackenbacker 😊

I was going to add his name myself this morning after rereading this thread.. 

• Like 1

All the biggest 'modern day'  music genres originated in the US - Blues, Jazz, Crooners, Rock & Roll, Country, Funk, Disco, Grunge etc., so the US is where it is happening.  The U.K.including Ireland punch way above their weight musically speaking but the US is way ahead of us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bolo said:

Ah well for instance UK has Bolt Thrower, the US has Obituary. Tit for tat really. Iron Maiden Vs Metallica?  

I think for most genres there is an equivalent genre overseas of similar influence, with acts carrying similar weight. Both inspiring the next generation artists on either side.

Would we even have had Metallica if we'd never had Iron Maiden?

Edited by Crusoe
missing word

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Would we even have had Metallica if we'd never had Iron Maiden?

You can follow that 'ladder of inspiration' all the way down to it's root of cavemen banging rocks on tree trunks.

There would be no rock without blues, no blues without old timey folk songs, etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bolo said:

You can follow that 'ladder of inspiration' all the way down to it's root of cavemen banging rocks on tree trunks.

There would be no rock without blues, no blues without old timey folk songs, etc.

Or we can extrapolate the other way and we end up at K-Pop  🤢

On 30/03/2019 at 18:54, Passinwind said:

Well, you missed every single one of my favorite US bands, so...Yel_wink.gif

Just for starters: Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, Allman Bros. Band, Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, Ornette Coleman, Pat Metheny Band, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Buddy Rich, The Supremes, Johnny Cash, and the MC5.

Many of my favourites in there and I'll add CSN, James Taylor's all star band, Van Halen, Bon Jovi,  David Lee Roth, Mr Big, Dream Theater, Alice Cooper Vs Yes, John McLaughlin's bands, Led Zeppelin and the Who.  

Edited by jacko

On the US side I've got the likes of Blondie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Velvet Underground, the Stooges

On The UK side I've got Joy Division, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Buzzcocks, Sisters of Mercy etc

How can I possibly choose one over the other? :(

• Like 1

I think it has a s much to do with the kinds of music you like as well as the era when you got into music.

My first interest in music was 70s glam rock and then progressed to punk/post-punk, synth pop and  then acid house/progressive house.

My while most of the genres I liked owed their roots to US artists, it was always the UK and European bands that took the music and made the definitive versions of it. Until the late 90s and early 2000s I owned hardly any records or CDs by US bands. In fact these days I probably have more Japanese music than that from the US. 

I think as others have said that it depends what was happening in music when your opinions were getting shaped.  My main years for listening to contemporary music were the late '90s and early '00s.  I find a lot of the British music I listened to then has aged pretty badly and I now find mostly a bit boring.  For example the whole Britpop thing and Indie stuff.  Although I was never really into either.  The only UK bands from that era I still regularly listen to now are Queen Adreena and Dodgy.  Also a local band called Zombina and the Skeletones but they did very US style music. 

At that time the US had lots of what have become my favourite bands that I still listen to and enjoy now.  Marilyn Manson, Tura Satana/My Ruin, Foo Fighters, PUSA, Everclear and so on.  Grunge and nu-metal were big and authentic sounding movements in music at the time and dominated by US bands.  By contrast Indie and Britpop seemed a bit insipid and preening to me.

22 hours ago, Rocker said:

All the biggest 'modern day'  music genres originated in the US - Blues, Jazz, Crooners, Rock & Roll, Country, Funk, Disco, Grunge etc., so the US is where it is happening.  The U.K.including Ireland punch way above their weight musically speaking but the US is way ahead of us.

I agree with this.  The UK have produced a lot of very good bands over the years, but a lot of it in reaction to what was going on in the US.

UK stuff that I couldn't imagine not being part of my life - Stones, Beatles, 60's blues (incl. Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Winwood etc), Bowie, Punk / New Wave and all the great pop music from the UK early 60's to late 70's. 

However I still think the US stuff that shaped my musical life so much does have the edge for me. Talking about early rock 'n'roll (Elvis, Little Richard and more than anyone else the late Chuck berry), then Motown, Stax and Atlantic artists and their spin-offs, Phil Spector's great work, country and country rock ( Eagles, Little Feat & The Band especially) and leading on to Bruce Springsteen / Tom Petty etc. Also wonderful dance music from Chic, Sly Stone and James Brown. There's just something about going to see a great band from the US that still makes it that extra bit special for me. 

8 hours ago, jacko said:

Many of my favourites in there and I'll add CSN, James Taylor's all star band, Van Halen, Bon Jovi,  David Lee Roth, Mr Big, Dream Theater, Alice Cooper Vs Yes, John McLaughlin's bands, Led Zeppelin and the Who.  

Personally, I think we all lose in a very real sense when music becomes a ".vs" thing. But I'm still enjoying many of the responses to this thread, as I so often do on Basschat.