Why become a member? ×

Pups - what's your favourite flavour?

Al Krow

What's your favourite pup configuration?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you had only one bass, what pup set up would you go for?

• P
    • J
    • MM
    • P / J
    • P / MM
    • P / P
    • J / J
    • J / MM
    • MM / MM
    • Other please specify

I realised after I'd voted for a P/J combination that what I actually use more often than anything else is a P/P combination as can be seen in the attached pic of my BC Rich Eagle.  Then I realised that I also have a double humbucker set up on my Gibson Thunderbird, and something similar also on my Roscoe Beck V...

So there's complete confirmation that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about most of the time! 😄

20150926_132913.jpg

• Haha 2

On 30/03/2019 at 17:53, TheGreek said:

Just noticed no "piezo" option....wouldn't expect too many votes for this option anyway (even though I have these in two of my basses).

Looks like it would just be me for 'piezo' then... I haven't used a magnetic pickup for some years now. I daren't in case I suddenly realise that it's all been a terrible mistake!!

• Haha 1

I wouldn't choose a single pickup bass as my only bass as I doubt if it would be versatile enough for all the music I play.  Just my view - but doubtlessly others will disagree. 😊

Other than my acoustic bass with a piezo pickup, my other 4 basses are all twin pickup. Two of them are P/J (Bartolini and DiMarzio) and the other two have soapbars (Bartolini and EMG).

If I had to choose to keep just one of those, it would probably be the one with the twin Bartolini soapbars - again for the versatility. 

Edited by Krysbass

I think one of the most interesting combos around that I'd like to try if I had to have one bass is two Jazz pickups with an MM in-between, as used by Atelier Z. I'd like to be able to flick a switch to go from both J pups to the single MM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I think one of the most interesting combos around that I'd like to try if I had to have one bass is two Jazz pickups with an MM in-between, as used by Atelier Z. I'd like to be able to flick a switch to go from both J pups to the single MM.

That's exactly what I have on my Ander van der End JB5 - it's a great combination! 

• Like 2