Why become a member? ×

Pups - what's your favourite flavour?

Al Krow

What's your favourite pup configuration?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you had only one bass, what pup set up would you go for?

• P
    • J
    • MM
    • P / J
    • P / MM
    • P / P
    • J / J
    • J / MM
    • MM / MM
    • Other please specify

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Dang! I think it could actually be a P / MM for me rather than a P / J, but it's going to be a close run thing. Does that mean I'm going to have to get a Sandberg? Noooooo.....😂🤣😁

That's where i'm heading Sandberg VM4 on order today. 

My choice was actually a P bass even tho i don't have one of them

And my fav bass to play is my Jazz but tonally not as competent as a P bass. IMHO of course.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

That's where i'm heading Sandberg VM4 on order today. 

My choice was actually a P bass even tho i don't have one of them

And my fav bass to play is my Jazz but tonally not as competent as a P bass. IMHO of course.

Dave

Well how spooky is that.

Congratulations!

As @bassfan might say in another universe, it seems to be missing one string...🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Whilst I’m loving the status Soapbars (MM/MM) at the minute, I adore the lanepoor (MM) in another bass and I still play the Jazz. 

If I could only pick one set of PUPs then I’d have to look at the SiMs super quads and be able to select All of your options above. I’ve never played a set, I hear good things and I’m GASing a bit! 😂

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

SiM super quads

These do look really interesting given the complete flexibility they offer.

Has anyone had experience of them for good or ill? If they're the business then definitely worth exploring.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Paging @TheGreek...

I think I remember you got some of these?

I voted in the "other" category.

If, God forbid, I could only have one bass I'd make sure I could have the widest variation in my tonal palette that I could get. The SimS system gives me this.

In fact, it would give everybody this so I'd encourage everybody to try them. Yes, they are a premium item but if you don't deserve that premium item, who does???

yVRuGOP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I too can vouch for the Sims Super Quads being utterly amazing. Such a cool design and it seems Martin Sims has recently released a few more versions with different housings and pole piece options.

For example he has now got a version in standard MM shaped housing. I could fit a set into my MTD Super 5 very easily now.

Having met Martin, I can confirm he’s a really nice guy and Nick Smith (the resident bassist in the pit at my local theatre - I literally grew up hearing him play on all the shows I did in the Youth Theatre group) now uses Sims pickups exclusively. That speaks volumes to me as he is a pro player who’s owned almost every bass under the sun!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Dang! I think it could actually be a P / MM for me rather than a P / J, but it's going to be a close run thing. Does that mean I'm going to have to get a Sandberg? Noooooo.....😂🤣😁

I suppose  a P/MM with a coil tap on the MM would be similar to a P/J anyway?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

All I can say is listen to lots of demos on YouTube. Never found a demo of any bass with P/MM pickups blended, or a bass with those Sims pickups that I liked the sound of!

Have to say i've listened to a lot of the Sandberg VM4 bass clips and they sound great to me with the pick up blend in centre point. Also noticed that with the Sandberg basses you can fade or blend the pick ups and still hear the changes wheras my Fender PJ it seems to be one or the other pick up or both

Dave

54 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to say i've listened to a lot of the Sandberg VM4 bass clips and they sound great to me with the pick up blend in centre point. Also noticed that with the Sandberg basses you can fade or blend the pick ups and still hear the changes wheras my Fender PJ it seems to be one or the other pick up or both

Dave

I suspect with with the Sandberg V/T (= P/J) you would also have the ability to blend as you can also do on the current Yammy BB range. 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I suspect with with the Sandberg V/T (= P/J) you would also have the ability to blend as you can also do on the current Yammy BB range. 

It does have a blend in active and passive and listening to various Youtube reviews i could hear the change as the belnd was adjusted slowly between each pick up. A lot more than i can on my current Fender PJ.

Dave

I do like a P P combination. It’s a shame you don’t see it offered more often as an option. However, having said that, the bass sound I’m really enjoying at the moment is Anthony Jackson’s Fodera. I’m assuming it’s Fodera’s own NYC pickup (made for them in conjunction with Seymour Duncan I believe). A bit of measuring puts it roughly in the bridge ‘half’ of a P pickup position (if you see what I mean).

• Like 1

Guest oZZma
5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I do like a P P combination. It’s a shame you don’t see it offered more often as an option. 

My bass is P+P, but it has been modded by the previous owner. I love that. Deep, thick and punchy! 

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Sims are Great people, really nice company.

Pick ups don’t quite nail it for me, but defo not crap

"Defo not crap" leaves a lot of space for improvement! And I know you know a thing or two about pups. 

Cheers

They are good, don’t get me wrong and Mr Greek will be more clued in than me from my testing and listening.

I am not afraid to rout and fiddle, so when I say that not crap, it’s me saying I would not rout a bass I already have for them as I didn’t love/like them enough, but if I was building something I would consider using Them absolutely

Its just me, and usual pinch of salt

Edited by Cuzzie