Why become a member? ×

Pups - what's your favourite flavour?

Al Krow

What's your favourite pup configuration?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you had only one bass, what pup set up would you go for?

• P
    • J
    • MM
    • P / J
    • P / MM
    • P / P
    • J / J
    • J / MM
    • MM / MM
    • Other please specify

Bit of (hopefully!) interesting fun for this weekend:

So you're allowed just one bass to keep. What pup set up would it have?

I guess we're going to be agreed that there are three main 'flavours': P, J and MM

But let's not limit ourselves to just these and chuck in the most common alternatives (neck) / (bridge): P/J, P/MM, P/P, J/J, J/MM, MM/MM

I know there will be a few other variations and if you're desperate for one of these we can include an 'other please specify' category - but you should be obliged to post a pic of your set up if you're choosing this.

And I hope we're also all agreed there is no right answer (even if most pros do apparently use Ps :)) only a right answer for us...

Weird thing is, I'm just realising that my favourite config is actually one that I don't currently have (lol!). Oh dear, why does starting a thread always lead to GAS?

PS I guess I should strictly have included reverse P as a commonly liked alternative, but then that adds a lot of additional variants i.e. reverse P / J etc. so to keep things simple let's include reverse P as a subset of P.

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, CameronJ said:

Spill the beans!

Dang! I think it could actually be a P / MM for me rather than a P / J, but it's going to be a close run thing. Does that mean I'm going to have to get a Sandberg? Noooooo.....😂🤣😁

• Like 1

I do harbour a lot of love for the 60s Thunderbird clones on my Lulls, so (not wanting to be pedantic) it's a T/T from me.

Just on a personal note, I've never really felt at home on a single pickup bass...my second choice would be a P/J combination; I play with everything fully open - including my legs - and the addition of a J pickup in the bridge position just seems to bring the bass alive in a way that a J/J doesn't.

14612405_10210761150046789_5078702576784

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 5

I've always been a fan of the sound of 2 J pickups with all the controls maxed, but in the last couple of years my main bass has been an active PJ which not not only does a ballsier version of the JJ, but also has a couple of my other favourite core tones included in the package as well.

i've never tried it but I suspect I'd be impressed with a P/MM combination for the same reasons.

Edited by Cato

Whilst I’m loving the status Soapbars (MM/MM) at the minute, I adore the lanepoor (MM) in another bass and I still play the Jazz. 

If I could only pick one set of PUPs then I’d have to look at the SiMs super quads and be able to select All of your options above. I’ve never played a set, I hear good things and I’m GASing a bit! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I do harbour a lot of love for the 60s Thunderbird clones on my Lulls, so (not wanting to be pedantic) it's a T/T from me.

Just on a personal note, I've never really felt at home on a single pickup bass...my second choice would be a P/J combination; I play with everything fully open - including my legs - and the addition of a J pickup in the bridge position just seems to bring the bass alive in a way that a J/J doesn't.

14612405_10210761150046789_5078702576784

Ok I'm already learning something...what's the difference between a T and either the J or MM in terms of how they are wired up?

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Dang! I think it could actually be a P / MM for me rather than a P / J, but it's going to be a close run thing. Does that mean I'm going to have to get a Sandberg? Noooooo.....😂🤣😁

You could go down the custom route? You’d also be guaranteed “ Al Krow L.A smile White “ then too!

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've always been a fan of the sound of 2 J pickups with all the controls maxed, but in the last couple of years my main bass has been an active PJ which not not only does a ballsier version of the JJ, but also has a couple of my other favourite core tones included in the package as well.The

i've never tried it but I suspect I'd be impressed with a P/MM combination for the same reasons.

Ditto - really liking my P/Js (all Yammys) a LOT.

Had a MM set up in a Warwick and a Berg previously and with the choice of single and double coils on the MM you get P / J and P / MM wrapped up in one.

If I was refining it further then maybe reverse P / MM (with single and double coil MM selector) could actually be where I'm heading. 

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

You could go down the custom route? You’d also be guaranteed Al Krow White then too!

Never say never, Mr Bassfan. You've led by example :) 

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

If I could only pick one set of PUPs then I’d have to look at the SiMs super quads and be able to select All of your options above. I’ve never played a set, I hear good things and I’m GASing a bit! 😂

SiM super quads

These do look really interesting given the complete flexibility they offer.

Has anyone had experience of them for good or ill? If they're the business then definitely worth exploring.

• Like 1

I know there are variations that are derived from the three main types of pick-up mentioned.  Generally speaking though, am I right to think of it this way?

P means a split coil humbucking pick up,
J means a single coil pick up
MM means a twin coil humbucking pick up.

I voted MM MM because of the five basses that I own, four have pairs of humbuckers.  The fifth, a fretless, has a P/J set.  I'm not that particular.  I'll work with what I've got.

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I voted MM MM because of the five basses that I own, four have pairs of humbuckers.  The fifth, a fretless, has a P/J set.  I'm not that particular.  I'll work with what I've got.

But weirdly your vote is not showing up on the poll! 🙃

It is now! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I know there are variations that are derived from the three main types of pick-up mentioned.  Generally speaking though, am I right to think of it this way?

P means a split coil humbucking pick up,
J means a single coil pick up
MM means a twin coil humbucking pick up.

There's going to be an element of personal opinion about this, but I suspect that a lot of people are thinking of a very particular type of humbucker when they hear 'MM', specifically the kind you'd find in a Stingray.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cato said:

There's going to be an element of personal opinion about this, but I suspect that a lot of people are thinking of a very specific kind of humbucker when they hear 'MM', specifically the kind you'd find in a Stingray. 

My thoughts exactly.

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Bl**dy hell!  Crack a whip why don't you.

Heeheehee.  I would've got around to it eventually but I had to think about the question.  It's not as easy as it looks.

Lol! You said you'd already voted...

I hope you are / were a bit tighter with your time keeping when it comes to the kick-drum and not eventually deciding when to come in 🤣😁😃

Speaking of which, best start getting my sh*t together for our gig tonight in deepest darkest Essex...

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lol! You said you'd already voted...

Picky...

Heeheehee.  I'll remember to do things in the exact order I've said them just for you from now on.

PS:  Have a good 'un tonight.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1