Why become a member? ×

Chowny CHB 1, any love here?

RobF

On 31/03/2019 at 22:22, thebuckets said:

Im waiting on an order for a chb1 in same blue. Ordered direct from stock 11 days ago but now having buyers remorse😱 thinking I may have been wiser going for the swb1 how have you found it?

Happy to switch it round for you if you want. :)  I have a few SWBs in tobacco burst.

Edited by Chownybass
  • Like 2

I have one of the early emerald green ones and it's lovely. I've currently lent it to a friend who also loves it. He's in a wheelchair and finds it very comfortable to play, especially as it's not too heavy at all.   I use it with 45-105 flats and they really bring out the sound. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I have one of the early emerald green ones and it's lovely. I've currently lent it to a friend who also loves it. He's in a wheelchair and finds it very comfortable to play, especially as it's not too heavy at all.   I use it with 45-105 flats and they really bring out the sound. 

I thought you sold it. :) One of the first 12 made. A piece of Chowny history.

Edited by Chownybass

1 hour ago, Chownybass said:

I thought you sold it. :) One of the first 12 made. A piece of Chowny history.

I couldn't in the end, so it's on long term loan so it's still mine and I can get it back when I need it, but knowing that it's also being used!

edit: when I say couldn't, I meant I couldn't bring myself to sell it.....not that nobody wanted to buy it...!

Edited by Muppet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I tried one recently at the Bass Gallery and liked it a lot. Good sound and playability. Well made. The two things I didn't like were the strings it shipped with (not a deal breaker) and, unfortunately, the frets which were pretty wide and 70s'ish. Slightly narrower frets would really work on that bass. Think Starfire.

42 minutes ago, Twanger said:

I tried one recently at the Bass Gallery and liked it a lot. Good sound and playability. Well made. The two things I didn't like were the strings it shipped with (not a deal breaker) and, unfortunately, the frets which were pretty wide and 70s'ish. Slightly narrower frets would really work on that bass. Think Starfire.

I gotta say - you're the first person to complain about the frets. :) Proof that I can never please everybody. They're medium jumbo frets (which are pretty common across most basses) - what do you prefer? 

20 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

I gotta say - you're the first person to complain about the frets. :) Proof that I can never please everybody. They're medium jumbo frets (which are pretty common across most basses) - what do you prefer? 

Narrow jumbo...hence the Starfire reference. Yes, totally subjective. Of course you can't please everybody. I have no probs with medium jumbo on a longer scale, so it might well be that it's just a matter of getting used to it. That's one reason why I never buy any instrument without trying it three times. But in my memory they are like those flat wide frets Gibson used in the 70s. Memory tends to exaggerate....

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 05/04/2019 at 15:31, Twanger said:

i apologize for the necrobump. but was that bass purple by any chance? if so. i think that might have been the one that i happen to buy!

On 29/09/2020 at 01:28, Bassmixe said:

i apologize for the necrobump. but was that bass purple by any chance? if so. i think that might have been the one that i happen to buy!

It's alright. I'm happy to come back from the dead.  It may well have been, but I honestly can't remember. 

Do you like the frets?

:)

• 11 months later...

Bit late to this chat as I have only recently picked up a 2nd hand jazz. Trying to find anything about it's history, emailed Chowny but no reply. I've got to be honest and say I'd never heard of them & I got the bass purley on looks, I'd have been happy to have it hanging on the wall! I have 2 jaydees,MM stingray,Warwick rock, precision basses,but I can't put this Chowny jazz down, great looks, scrumptious sounds💥 Any info greatly accepted 👍

On 14/09/2021 at 14:36, Chris Moulton said:

Bit late to this chat as I have only recently picked up a 2nd hand jazz. Trying to find anything about it's history, emailed Chowny but no reply. I've got to be honest and say I'd never heard of them & I got the bass purley on looks, I'd have been happy to have it hanging on the wall! I have 2 jaydees,MM stingray,Warwick rock, precision basses,but I can't put this Chowny jazz down, great looks, scrumptious sounds💥 Any info greatly accepted 👍

Sorry dude. Mad busy. PM/DM me with a number and I'll give you a buzz. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...