Why become a member? ×

John East J Tone.

bubinga5

I put a J Retro in my J bass and went back to passive after a few months. The East was impressive and made the instrument more versatile, but I just couldn't get that classic Jazz bass tone from it. It was close, but not quite there. This may be different, of course. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

• Like 1

I had one and loved it for minor EQ tweaks, to me it sounded natural and my basses tone wasn’t overall coloured, if coloured at all. The internal trims were super helpful to matching the EQ settings to what I felt the bass needed IMO. 

But I had to move it on because it wouldn’t work with my (then) new set of Fralin split coils, it kept overloading the preamp and clipping. I sent to back to John to get it checked out, but he found no fault. 

• 1 year later...

I love the J Tone.

The J Retro I had had just a bit too much colour baked in when it was set flat, and I could never quite get that sound out of it (great though it was). I also never really used the mid controls. 

I swapped in a J Tone into my Jazz instead. Perfect for me. Found the EQ points I liked on the bass and treble trim pots quickly, and that was that. I control mids using pickup selection and hand placement, and having both treble control and passive tone control is really cool. The bass control is powerful and sensitive. It’s clean and pristine sounding, and the bass sounds very natural without the baked in pre-shape. Sounds great with single coils. I’m a huge fan of John’s work, and he is a pleasure to deal with. 

Edited by funkle