Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Room Rig

Sandypjb

Hi folks,

My local rehearsal rooms have been rather forward-thinking and supplied Ampeg SVT3 Pro heads with a Ampeg 2x10 or 4×10 Classic cabs in all the rooms. Beats the usual Ashdowns that's for sure, not that they're too bad.

Played the 4x10 rig earlier tonight. What a fantastic rig - would buy the same rig in an instant if I could afford it. Not only is there more than enough heft, I can hear so much more out of my 5-string active bass (sandberg) than I've previously experienced. It's all there, glassy highs, punchy mids and LF rumble - all very adjustable and it sat nicely with the band mix.

I can now see why they're held in such high regard. Just saying - bit of a revelation really. 

Anyone else heard sounds from their bass through someone else's rig that they can't get from their own?

Steve

Edited by Sandypjb

Only when I use a full valve rig such as SVT & 810 or connect my own amp up to a 412 or 810. Otherwise I’m pretty much there, haven’t used any other amp/410 configuration that gives more than my own rig, which is Ashdown ABM600 & ABM410.

The experience described is why I went with Ashdown, I simply found when using their gear as provided rigs at gigs that it gave so much more than what I was previously using (Aguilar & Barefaced). It just made sense both in the ears, and in the pocket to make the switch.

Edited by Lozz196

1 hour ago, Sandypjb said:

My local rehearsal rooms have been rather forward-thinking and supplied Ampeg SVT3 Pro heads with a Ampeg 2x10 or 4×10 Classic cabs in all the rooms.

Anyone else heard sounds from their bass through someone else's rig that they can't get from their own?

I'm happy that you've found a good sound with this gear. Finding a room with decent gear certainly makes a change from the old, cheap and nasty rubbish in some of the rooms I've rehearsed in over the years. In one West End studio we blew up 4 Peavey bass cabs in an afternoon. 

So far I haven't played a rehearsal room that has had better gear than I've owned, then again, the sound in a rehearsal room doesn't bother me. All I'm there to do is to knock songs and arrangements into shape with the rest of the band.

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

So far I haven't played a rehearsal room that has had better gear than I've owned, then again, the sound in a rehearsal room doesn't bother me. All I'm there to do is to knock songs and arrangements into shape with the rest of the band.

A lot of the debates here on BC are about sound vs practicality. I've got a Phil Jones Suitcase combo + 4B ext cab which I have been thinking all along was great. Until that is I played through the Ampeg gear - I'm hearing sounds from my bass I've never heard before (in a good way). I'm also pretty sure I'd be praising a big Orange or Mesa rig in the same way.

Practically speaking the PJB gear is very portable, a heavy valve head and large cab would be less so.

Now to find a portable rig that does what the Ampeg rig can do....

Back in the late 90s/early 00s, I used to rehearse in a place that provided Ampeg gear, SVT 2 on an 8x10 fridge usually, and the amps never made it through a full rehearsal with me, not once, put me off Ampeg gear for life. Eventually they bought in an Ashdown ABM head for me to use and it took everything I threw at it and wanted more. Been an Ashdown fan ever since.

Most rehearsal studios I've used more recently have had pretty recent Peavey gear, and it's been OK. Nothing like the Peavey of old, but pretty serviceable.

Eude

5 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

A lot of the debates here on BC are about sound vs practicality. I've got a Phil Jones Suitcase combo + 4B ext cab which I have been thinking all along was great. Until that is I played through the Ampeg gear - I'm hearing sounds from my bass I've never heard before (in a good way). I'm also pretty sure I'd be praising a big Orange or Mesa rig in the same way.

Practically speaking the PJB gear is very portable, a heavy valve head and large cab would be less so.

Now to find a portable rig that does what the Ampeg rig can do....

You're listening to your super clean small PJB rig and comparing it to a large lump of a rig from a previous era and it's not surprising that you're hearing a lot of differences.

I gigged an Ampeg SVT3 PRO for nearly 10 years (they're good, but IMO these days you can do better), so I'd suggest an Aguilar TH500 or Quilter BB800 would get you into the ball park. The sound of a big old Ampeg cab would be more difficult to replicate, but IMO (again I think you can do better) I would prefer something like one of the Barefaced 10's, maybe the Two10 or Four10. 

Edited by chris_b

My local rehearsal room has SVT Pro heads plus 8X10s and although you can feel, as well as hear the bass, the tone is lacking, for me at any rate. Too indistinct, even if the weight is satisfying. My AG700 plus PJB cabs are much more pleasing to my ear. Guess I'm in the minority, too.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I used to use an Ampeg combo at Sanctuary Studios in Watford: https://www.sanctuarystudioswatford.com/

TBH I wasn't impressed - I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the minority here though.

Depends what model it was, Mick. For me the Ampeg thing is made by going through loads of speaker cones, seems to lose its way - for me anyway - when just a 115 or 210, needs to be 4x10s or more imo.

On 30/03/2019 at 11:17, chris_b said:

You're listening to your super clean small PJB rig and comparing it to a large lump of a rig from a previous era and it's not surprising that you're hearing a lot of differences.

I gigged an Ampeg SVT3 PRO for nearly 10 years (they're good, but IMO these days you can do better), so I'd suggest an Aguilar TH500 or Quilter BB800 would get you into the ball park. The sound of a big old Ampeg cab would be more difficult to replicate, but IMO (again I think you can do better) I would prefer something like one of the Barefaced 10's, maybe the Two10 or Four10. 

I have a fair range of heads to choose from but I tend to gig with the Quilter more often than the other stuff as a lot of our gigs are quick turnaround multi band affairs, so the Quilter makes sense for portability and convenience, I tend to run my Sansamp VTDI into the rear line in and in all honesty if you didn't look over your shoulder you'd be hard pressed to tell you weren't going through an all Ampeg rig. It lacks nothing imo.

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1