Why become a member? ×

Will a 2x12 give more volume than my 1x15?

I have a Trace Elliot Twin Valve combo which has a 15 inch driver.  I play it combined with a Barefaced Retro210 but I'm after some more headroom after having a few cases where I was lacking clean headroom. I was wondering if I separated the amp from the combo and played it through the Barefaced210 and added a 2x12, would it give me more volume than the 2x10 and 1x15? We have and empty Elk bass cab(sealed), which previously housed two 12 inch drivers and I was thinking of fitting two Eminence Delta Lite II 2512 in there and drilling two 5 inch ports at the bottom/rear. 

20190329_181524.jpg

You should check specs. Find the max SPL if it is available. If it is not, find the sensitivity. You can calculate max SPL via sensitivity and max wattage.

If these numbers are not available, you can only trust your ears.

Your amp with a second Two10 would give you as much tone, volume and head room as you could want.

The reason good cabs sound better than others is that the drivers have been put into a cab that has been designed to bring out the best in their sound. Putting the best drivers in the world into a "box" that has not been designed for them could sound good but is more likely to sound very average.

IMO a 410 will give you a different sound, but not necessarily better. Depends on the cab.

If you want to improve what you are hearing, try putting the Two10 vertically on top of the combo. You'll then be hearing all the clean Barefaced sound, which is what you're not hearing with your current cab placement.

Nice to hear of a Twin valve user ! I'm hoping to get mine back soon (from a mate).
There are a lot of variables here, but the first thing I think is perceived volume is frequency-dependent and the mid-range apopears to us to be loudest.

The basic sum is diaphragm (cone area): pi. r . sqd (can't find the symbols on my Mac) - so the area of a 12" is approx 700 cm sqd (each). A 15" is about 950cm sqd. So for a given diaphragm amplitude the 2 x 12 will beat a 1 x 15 by a good way. The 212 will sound louder anyway as it's punch is at a higher frequency than the 15" (probably, again all the other variables will affect this).

I'd expect a 212 and a 210 to be really good with a Twin Valve. I've had a few Trace combos wiith 15" in, and the speaker is the limiting bit by a way. I once hooked a 410 onto it and it was really loud but I wasn't sure the onboard 15 was contributing very much - i think the Hartke 10s were more efficient so doing all the heavy lifting.

The easy thing would be borrow a decent (efficient) 212 and disconnect the onboard 15, run the 210 and 212 and see what happens - my guess is loud and ample bottom end. IIRC the Twin valve has only one speaker output so you may have to faff a little to connect the 2 cabs but there should be a way. I suppose they both need to be 8ohm too.

Love the Twin Valve - not many around and they were way more expensive than the GP7 combos at the time, but what a sound !! 

2 hours ago, Bloc Riff Nut said:

I cant place  any cabs on top of the Trace Twin Valve because thats where the vents for cooling the amp are.

OK. Then I'd suggest you raise it off the top of the amp in some way or put it on a chair at the side. I think it would be a revelation to you to actually hear the clarity of your 210. Being placed under your combo the way you have it now is probably firing most of the 210 goodness you think you are lacking straight past your ankles.