Why become a member? ×

Effect Loop & Stomps

danny-79

Would I get a better chorus effect if I put it through the effect on loop rather than through the front last in line as it is now ? (MXR Bass chorus deluxe) 

i want it to sound more pronounced cause as it is it’s sounding very in the background. 

Also Would an octave effect be better of through the loop or as is (chorus is main question) 

thanks in advance 

Dan 

I have a Bass Chorus Deluxe myself and have always run it at the end or nearly at the end of my pedalboard. If I want a more pronounced sound I just adjust the knobs. Make sure the “x-over” button is off if you want the chorus to affect the entire signal and not just the highs end. That alone should help a bit.

I always run octaves as the first effect in the chain (after the tuner but that’s not an effect. And often after my compressor too but that’s just personal taste.) As a general rule with analogue octavers the earlier they are in the chain and the cleaner the signal they receive, the better they perform. 

9 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I have a Bass Chorus Deluxe myself and have always run it at the end or nearly at the end of my pedalboard. If I want a more pronounced sound I just adjust the knobs. Make sure the “x-over” button is off if you want the chorus to affect the entire signal and not just the highs end. That alone should help a bit.

I always run octaves as the first effect in the chain (after the tuner but that’s not an effect. And often after my compressor too but that’s just personal taste.) As a general rule with analogue octavers the earlier they are in the chain and the cleaner the signal they receive, the better they perform. 

That’s exactly how I have mine ordered currently. 

Thanks for reply 

Putting pedals in the loop is hit-and-miss for a couple of reasons.

Firstly it depends whether you have a parallel loop or a series loop. Many amps are parallel so you will get a 50% blend of the loop return and the un-affected signal prior to the loop. This is likely to weaken the effect of your chorus rather than strengthen it, and compromises the setting of the wet/dry blend knob on the pedal if you have one.

Secondly, most pedals will be expecting an instrument-level voltage, where most loops run at a line-level. This is fine for studio rack-type effects, some pedals will tolerate it, others won't play nice. 

• Like 2

On 31/03/2019 at 11:39, pete.young said:

Putting pedals in the loop is hit-and-miss for a couple of reasons.

Firstly it depends whether you have a parallel loop or a series loop. Many amps are parallel so you will get a 50% blend of the loop return and the un-affected signal prior to the loop. This is likely to weaken the effect of your chorus rather than strengthen it, and compromises the setting of the wet/dry blend knob on the pedal if you have one.

Secondly, most pedals will be expecting an instrument-level voltage, where most loops run at a line-level. This is fine for studio rack-type effects, some pedals will tolerate it, others won't play nice. 

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll stick with it as is for now then. Maybe it’s a different chorus I’m possibly looking for. Been eying up the Sea Machine but apart from YouTube vids anyone else have any first hand experience with them ?